Roberts in 2005
Ashley Allyn Roberts
September 14, 1981
Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.
|Associated acts||The Pussycat Dolls|
Ashley Allyn Roberts (born September 14, 1981) is an American singer, dancer, actress, model, and television personality. She is a member of the American pop girl group and dance ensemble The Pussycat Dolls.
In 2014, Roberts released her debut solo studio album Butterfly Effect. She has appeared in various British television shows, including I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! (2012), Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway (2013–2016), Dancing on Ice (2013–2015), The Jump (2015), and Strictly Come Dancing (2018).
Life and career
1981–2002: Early life and career beginnings
Roberts was born in Phoenix, Arizona, and attended Shadow Mountain High School. She is of Welsh descent. She began dancing at the age of three and singing at eight. Roberts' father was a drummer for the Mamas & the Papas, later becoming an auto dealer and her mother was a Pilates instructor. They both inspired her to be a part of the entertainment industry.
During high school summer breaks, Roberts traveled to California to study modern dance. After high school, at 19 years old, she moved permanently to Los Angeles. Roberts has appeared in television commercials and music videos such as Counting Crows "Accidentally in Love", Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up", Jane's Addiction's "True Nature", Aaron Carter's "Oh Aaron" and "Not Too Young, Not Too Old" and Pink's "Trouble". Roberts cites Goldie Hawn, Kate Moss, Sienna Miller and Gwen Stefani as her main role models and inspirations.
2003–10: The Pussycat Dolls
Within six months of her move, Roberts auditioned for the Pussycat Dolls. At that time the Pussycat Dolls were an underground modern burlesque troupe. Following their growing popularity, music producers Jimmy Iovine and Ron Fair became involved with the group helping them to transform into a franchise. The former dance troupe evolved into a Pop music recording group. The only troupe members who remained after the re-casting process were Robin Antin (taking on the creative, executive and managerial roles), Carmit Bachar, Cyia Batten, Kasey Campbell, Kimberly Wyatt, Jessica Sutta and Ashley Roberts. After a few more auditions, singers Nicole Scherzinger, Melody Thornton and Kaya Jones were added to the line-up. In 2004, they recorded "We Went as Far as We Felt Like Going" for the Shark Tale soundtrack and recorded the single, "Sway" which is featured on the soundtrack of Shall We Dance?. Jones left the group in 2005, Batten and Campbell had left earlier.
The Pussycat Dolls were launched into mainstream recognition following the release of PCD, which contained the number-one singles "Don't Cha", "Buttons" and "Stickwitu". Roberts sang co-lead with Bachar and Sutta in the "Stickwitu" single B-side, "Santa Baby". Bachar's departure from the group preceded the release of their second and final studio album, Doll Domination, which contains hit singles, "When I Grow Up", "I Hate This Part" and "Jai Ho! (You Are My Destiny)". Roberts recorded a solo song called "Played" for the Doll Domination's deluxe edition.
On January 29, 2010, Jessica Sutta revealed to E! Online that she had been ousted from the group, following a broken rib she sustained whilst on tour with the group, and thus confirmed her exit. On February 26, Kimberly Wyatt confirmed she was also leaving the group. The next day, Ashley Roberts announced her departure from the group via her website. In a letter to her fans, she made the following announcement:
Yes, I have left the Pussycat Dolls. I love you all sooo much!!! I am so grateful to have the love and support of all of you. It was an amazing ride and I learned so much! You all mean the world to me and I'm excited to take you all on a new adventure. An adventure full of creativity, inspiration, learning, growing and lots of fun.
Wyatt would later go on to confirm that all of the members had left the group, including Melody Thornton.Despite these changes, on May 24, a rumored third line-up would join Scherzinger. However, in late 2010, Scherzinger officially left the group to pursue a solo career. As a result, the original recording group line-up had officially disbanded. The group has sold 54 million records worldwide, making them one of the best-selling girl groups of all time.
Roberts made her film debut as Brooke in the dance/drama/romance film Make It Happen with actress Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Riley Smith. Production lasted from August 8 to September 17, 2007, and the film was directed by Darren Grant and distributed by The Weinstein Company. It premièred on August 8, 2008 in the UK to mixed but mainly positive reviews.
2010–2018: Solo career and Butterfly Effect
After leaving the Dolls, Roberts traveled around the world, followed guru Amma and took several dance/acting classes. In 2010, Roberts released her first solo song, a cover of "A Summer Place" and was released on iTunes on September 28. Roberts also made an appearance in ex-bandmate Wyatt's music video for the single, "Stars in Your Eyes". On June 14, 2012, she made a cameo appearance in Bobby Newberry's music video for his debut single "Dirrty Up", with ex-bandmate Melody Thornton. On October 10, 2012, Roberts released a preview of a cover version of Bobby Newberry's "All In A Day", produced by the Invaders. The full version was released at the end of October. On November 5, 2012, Roberts announced that her first official solo single would be "Yesterday" and would be released that week.
On November 7, 2012, it was confirmed that Roberts would compete in the twelfth series of the British reality show I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!, airing on ITV finishing as runner-up to Charlie Brooks. Despite not winning, she proved to be a popular public figure during her time on the show and it launched her solo career in the United Kingdom.
On May 25, 2014, Roberts' single "Clockwork" was released. On September 1, 2014, Roberts' debut album, Butterfly Effect, recorded at Metropolis in Chiswick, London was released. It was preceded by new single "Woman Up".
In late 2018, Roberts appeared on Strictly Come Dancing In the UK. She finished as a finalist.
2019-present: Pussycat Dolls Reunion and future
On November 29th 2019, Roberts along with her former Pussycat Dolls band mates appeared on Heart FM breakfast show to announce they were reuniting for a 2020 tour. On November 30th, the newly reformed group performed a medley of hits on X Factor: Celebrity.
On her official blog, Roberts announced that she would work on a number of different projects. She worked on her acting, and was a host on Maxim Does Spring Break on E!. Roberts also shot a pilot for MTV with Aubrey O'Day, Marques Houston, and Amanda Ghost.
She appeared on 90210 in the episode "Into the Wild" which aired on November 5, 2010, where she played a stripper.
On November 7, 2012, it was confirmed that Roberts would compete in the twelfth series of the British reality show I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!. She finished as the runner-up behind Charlie Brooks.
In December 2012, it was confirmed that Roberts would be one of the judges on the British celebrity skating show Dancing on Ice, from its eighth series. She returned as a judge for its ninth series in 2014.
In December 2014, Roberts was announced as a contestant for the second series of The Jump. She was eliminated in the second week.
Strictly Come Dancing
On August 17, 2018, it was announced that Roberts would be a contestant on the sixteenth series of Strictly Come Dancing . Her professional partner was Pasha Kovalev. They finished as joint runners-up to winners Stacey Dooley and Kevin Clifton on December 15, 2018. Roberts is the highest scoring contestant with a 36.9 average score and holds the record for the most perfect scores ever received by a contestant with five perfect scores.
|Week||Dance / Song||Judges' score||Total||Result|
|1||Viennese Waltz / "Perfect"||7||8||7||7||29||No Elimination|
|2||Cha-cha-cha / "Boogie Wonderland"||8||8||7||9||32||Safe|
|3||Salsa / "(I've Had) The Time of My Life"||8||9||9||9||35||Safe|
|4||Tango / "Look What You Made Me Do"||8||8||8||8||32||Safe|
|5||Rumba / "Something About The Way You Look Tonight"||9||9||9||9*||36||Safe|
|6||Charleston / "Witch Doctor"||9||10||10||10||39||Safe|
|7||Foxtrot / "Orange Colored Sky"||9||10||10||10||39||Safe|
|8||Contemporary / "Unsteady"||9||10||10||10||39||Safe|
|9||Jive / "Shake a Tail Feather"||10||10||10||10||40||Safe|
|10||Samba / "Hot Hot Hot"
Lindy Hop-a-thon / "Do Your Thing"
|11||Quickstep / "Don't Rain on My Parade"||9||10||9||10||38||Bottom two|
|12||Paso Doble / "Spectrum (Say My Name)"
American Smooth / "Ain't That a Kick in The Head"
|13||Salsa / "(I've Had) The Time of My Life"
Showdance / "Keeping Your Head Up"
Charleston / "Witch Doctor"
- Score awarded by guest judge Alfonso Ribeiro *
- Green number indicates Ashley & Pasha were at the top of the leaderboard
Products and endorsements
In 2016, Roberts designed a women's shoe collection for spring/summer 2017 called ALLYN, after her middle name.
- Butterfly Effect (2014)
|1999||The Nanny||Alex Fine||1 episode, "The Game Show"|
|2005||Be Cool||Herself||Main role|
|2008||Rock and a Hard Place|
|2008||Make It Happen||Brooke||Supporting role|
|2008–2009||MTV News||Herself||6 episodes|
|2010||Maxim Does Spring Break||Host|
|2010||Dance Your Ass Off||Guest Judge|
|2010||Ambush Karaoke||Host||Unaired pilot|
|2011||Temptation of Wife||Appearance role|
|2011||All About Aubrey||Herself||2 episodes|
|2011||VH1'S 100 Greatest Songs of the 00s|
|2012||VH1's 100 Greatest Women In Music|
|2012||Total Drama||Voice of Sindy||3 episodes|
|2012||90210||Penny||1 episode, "Into the Wild"|
|2012||I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!||Herself||Came second place|
|2013–2014||Dancing on Ice||Judge|
|2013–2016||Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway||Host||'Ant vs. Dec' segment|
'Best Seats in the House' segment
|2013||This Morning||Herself||Reporter for the I'm a Celebrity... segment|
|2014||WWE Legends House||Host|
|2015||The Jump||Contestant||Second series|
|2015||Keith Lemon's Back T'Future Tribute||Lorraine||One-off ITV2 special|
|2015–2016||The Keith Lemon Sketch Show||Various characters|
|2017||Let It Shine||Guest judge||1 episode|
|2017||Would I Lie To You (TV series)||Panelist||1 episode|
|2018||The Crystal Maze||Contestant||1 episode|
|2018||Keith Lemon: Coming In America||Herself|
|2018||Strictly Come Dancing||Contestant||Runner-up|
- Fake Reaction (January 31, 2013)
- Celebrity Juice (March 7, 2013, February 20, 2014)
- The Chase: Celebrity Special (October 26, 2013)
- I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here! NOW! (2013)
- All Star Family Fortunes (December 29, 2013)
- Catchphrase: Celebrity Special (June 22, 2014)
- Tipping Point: Lucky Stars (August 16, 2014)
- Through the Keyhole (October 10, 2015)
- Diddy TV (March 15, 2016, June 20, 2016)
|2012||VH1's Behind the Music||Herself||Nicole Scherzinger and Brief about PCD|
Awards and nominations
|Grammy Awards||Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals||"Stickwitu"||Nominated|
- "pcdworld.co.uk | PCDWorld > Pussycat Dolls Biography > Ashley Roberts". PCDWorld. Archived from the original on April 15, 2006. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Ashley Roberts Speaks Up On Scarlett Moffatt Replacing Her On Saturday Night Takeaway". Heart FM. Archived from the original on February 21, 2017. Retrieved February 20, 2017.
- "Aaron Carter – I'm not too old, Not too Young". YouTube. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Carrucan, Catrin (May 11, 2013). "Celebrity secrets: Ashley Roberts". express.co.uk. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "Tumblr.com". Ashleyroberts.tumblr.com. February 27, 2010. Archived from the original on March 10, 2010. Retrieved March 8, 2010.
- "Her Majesty & The Wolves – Stars In Your Eyes Official Video". YouTube. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Bobby Newberry Ft. Jessie & The Toy Boys – Dirrty Up – Official Music Video". Youtube.com. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Ashley Roberts- All in a day teaser". YouTube. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Ashley Roberts – I'm A Celebrity 2012: Celebrities". Digital Spy. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- Geddes, Robin (March 31, 2014). "Ashley Roberts announces new single 'Clockwork', debut solo album". Digital Spy. Retrieved March 31, 2014.
- "Ashley Roberts confirms new single 'Woman Up', details debut album – Music News". Digital Spy. June 30, 2014. Retrieved August 11, 2014.
- "HeartFM Pussycat Dolls reunion confirmed". November 29, 2019.
- "New Album Coming". ET.
- "Strictly Purrfect! Pussycat Dolls star Ashley Roberts joins our 2018 line-up!". bbc.co.uk. August 17, 2018. Retrieved August 22, 2018.
- Ledger, Emma (March 30, 2013). "It's fake tan time! Ashley Roberts shows us how it's done as the new face of Garnier No Streaks Bronzer". The Mirror. Retrieved May 31, 2013.
- "Sexy Beach Lingerie". Youtube.com. Retrieved June 16, 2012.
- "Ashley Roberts: Musical Influences and KickAss Shoes For Every Occasion". Neon Music. Retrieved January 10, 2017.
- Gorman, Bill. "Ashley Roberts – IMDb". IMDb.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Catchphrase | Series 2 – 12. Catchphrase Celebrity Special". Radio Times. April 8, 2013. Retrieved August 11, 2014.
- "Tipping Point: Lucky Stars Episode 7".
- "Ashley Roberts – Artist". The Recording Academy. Retrieved November 10, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashley Roberts.|
| 1st Look host
Johnny “Bananas” Devenanzio