|Head Teacher||Derrick Brown|
|Chair of Governors||Mrs Gonul Daniels|
|DfE URN||136308 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
Ashmole Academy (formerly Ashmole School) is a secondary school with academy status in Southgate, England in the London Borough of Barnet. Under the direction of the headteacher Derrick Brown, around 1,460 pupils (331 in the Sixth form) are educated in ages 11–18.
The school is popular and over-subscribed. Pupils come from a wide range of minority ethnic heritages and a greater than usual number of pupils speak English as an additional language. In January 2007, Ofsted gave an overall rating of the school as Grade 1 Outstanding, the highest available assessment for a UK school.
The school, named after Elias Ashmole, was founded in 1958 as the successor of Russell Lane Secondary Modern Boy's School which had changed its name to Ashmole School in about 1949, had Southaw School merged into it in 1971, and became a foundation school in 1999. It achieved specialist status in Science in 2002, and added the second specialism, Music, in 2006. The school moved into a new building on the same site in September 2004 costing £14m. The existing administration block was refurbished and opened as the performing arts centre in June 2005. This was funded by the sale of 38 acres (150,000 m2) of school grounds for redevelopment as housing.
Ofsted gave an overall rating of the school as Grade 1 Outstanding, the highest available assessment for a UK school, following their 2007 inspection. They stated "Ashmole is an outstanding school. Pupils make very good progress, whatever their starting points, and standards are exceptionally high. Staff set consistently high expectations of achievement and pupils often exceed their targets. As a result of consistently good teaching, standards in the sixth form are outstanding."
- Chief Executive Officer: Mr D. Brown
- Associate Head Teacher: Mr T. Sullivan
- Deputy Head: Ms C. Barnes
- Deputy Head: Mr B. Dhinsa
- Assistant Head: Mr P. Bray
- Assistant Head: Mr R. Hague
- Assistant Head: Mrs R. McLaren
- Assistant Head: Miss J. Hart
- Assistant Head: Miss C. Murphy
- Chief Finance Officer: Mr D Powell
Notable former pupils
- Joe Devera, footballer
- Mark Bunn, footballer
- Peter Prodromou
- Dan Gillespie Sells
- Rachel Stevens, S Club 7 singer
- Amy Winehouse, singer-songwriter
- Megan Prescott
- Daniel Peacock
- Phoebe Thomas
- Dee Murray
- Graham King
- Gilbert Gabriel
- "List of Staff 2010/2011" Archived October 22, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "General Enquires" Archived October 19, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Ashmole School - Inspection report"[permanent dead link], Ofsted, 20 February 2007.
- Brown, Derrick (Autumn 2007). "Message from the Head" (pdf). @shmole, volume 1, issue 8. Ashmole School. Retrieved 28 June 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Ambridge, Geoffrey (22 February 2006). "Ashmole Sec. Mod. School, London N.20 - 1950-54 - Telling Tales Out of School". Blog. Geoffrey Ambridge. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- "Land sale paid for £14m new school", Barnet & Potters Bar Times, 30 June 2005
- "Ashmole Academy Press Release" Archived September 27, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Dan Gillespie " Archived March 28, 2009, at the Wayback Machine., The Gay & Lesbian Awards
- Rachel Stevens biography
- "AMY WINEHOUSE", www.solarnavigator.net
- Megan Prescott