This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dr. Ashok Khemka|
30 April 1965 |
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
|Education||B Tech in Computer Science
Ph.D in Computer Science
MBA in Business Admn. Finance
MA in Economics
|Alma mater||IIT Kharagpur
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
|Employer||Government of India|
|Organization||Indian Administrative Service|
|Known for||IAS officer who cancelled the mutation of Robert Vadra -DLF land deal.|
|Awards||S R Jindal Prize in 2011 for "Crusade against Corruption"|
Ashok Khemka (अशोक खेमका) is a senior Indian Administrative Service officer in the Indian state of Haryana and best known for cancelling the mutation of Sonia Gandhi's son-in-law Robert Vadra's illegal land deal in Gurgaon. He has been transferred 45 times in 23 years by state governments after he exposed corruption in the departments he was posted in.
Early life and education
Ashok Khemka was born in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. He graduated from the Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur in 1988 with a B.Tech degree in Computer Science Engineering and followed it up with a Ph.D in Computer Science from the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai and a MBA degree in Business Admn. Finance. He also holds a MA Economics degree from IGNOU.
He is a 1991 batch IAS officer of the Haryana Cadre. He has been repeatedly transferred by various state governments in his home cadre of Haryana after he exposed corruption in the departments he was posted in.
Khemka was posted as Secretary to the Govt. of Haryana, Department of Archives and Archaeology on 4 April 2013. He was also given the charge of DG Archives and Archaeology on 26 April 2013. This is his 45th posting in his 20-year career excluding his 2 yr training period. In the previous month, he had exposed a deal that he thought to be untoward and had requested an inquiry by the Central Bureau of Investigation. The government of Haryana refused this[clarification needed] and Bhiwani-based NGO filed PIL on the same scam.On 18 October 2013, CBI has registered a preliminary enquiry into the alleged irregularities in the purchase of wheat seeds in HSDC seeking registration of a case against officials of National Cooperative Consumers Federation(NCCF) and National Agriculture Cooperative Marketing Federation (NAFED) for selling seeds at inflated prices to HSDC.
"And the transfer this time was quite humiliating. At 3:30 p.m, an officer of the rank of Under Secretary of the government, at least five levels below me, appeared with an order of the Principal Secretary of the Agriculture, appointing him as the MD of the Corporation and asked me to step down," Khemka told news channels.
Khemka, who took on the state government over suspicious land deals between Congress president Sonia Gandhi's son-in-law Robert Vadra and, Khemka had alleged that he was facing death threats from anonymous people.
Chargesheets filed against Ashok Khemka
Two chargesheets for Khemka have been filed, one of which accuses of failing his responsibilities at the Haryana Seed Development Corporation, where Khemka found corruption and requested for CBI inquiry. Further Khemka quoted that "I have reliably heard that 10 chargesheets will be filed against me on frivolous grounds along with 10 private complaints,".
Then Haryana government was pursuing extremely of its authority to penalise Mr. Khemka.
Highlighted Land Deal corruption
Khemka highlighted land deal corruption in Gurgaon and around for conversion of commercial land. As per the report there is corruption between ₹20,000 crore (US$3 billion) to ₹350,000 crore (US$54 billion). Khemka was most recently Haryana’s Director-General of Land Consolidation and Land Records-cum-Inspector-General of Registration. During his 80-day stint in the department, Khemka had detected serious irregularities in land transactions involving transfer of panchayat land worth several hundred crores of rupees to newly created real estate companies. Khemka was transferred on 11 October 2012 and he took action on the matter after his transfer. He claims he has been harassed and transferred 40 times in the last 21 years for merely doing his job. As the Managing Director of Haryana Seeds Development Corporation Limited, Khemka exposed its irregularities in just five months as its head following which he was transferred on 4 April 2013 and was replaced by B. S. Duggal, a Deputy Secretary five ranks below him.
Vadra Land Deal
The State Government constituted an Inquiry Committee of three senior IAS officers to nail Khemka on the cancellation of Vadra's land deal in village Sikhohpur (Gurgaon). Khemka responded to the report of the Inquiry Committee in his Comments to the State Government which is divided into 8 Chapters. The specific land deal of Robert Vadra is detailed in Chapter 6. Khemka's comments are a brilliant exposition of how crony capitalism works in India is sapping the moral fabric of the nation.
Rao Inderjit Singh, a member of the Lok Sabha from Gurgaon has said that a detailed inquiry must be conducted to "substantiate or refute" the charges against Robert Vadra, whose business deals with real estate major DLF have been questioned by Ashok Khemka. He said that Mr Vadra's land dealings should be part of larger investigation into alleged irregular practices in the governments appropriation and sale of nearly 1200 acres.
He was awarded the S R Jindal Prize in 2011 for "Crusade against Corruption" with a cash prize of Rs. 10 Lakhs along with Sanjiv Chaturvedi for his efforts in exposing corruption in high places. He also received the Manjunath Shanmugam Trust Commendation on Public Works in 2009
- "Officer with impeccable integrity". Hindustan Times.
- "Reward for honesty: Mental Torture, Mental Trauma, Mental Agony, Insult and Humiliation.". U Said It ! Third Perspective by Civil Society. 15 November 2013.
- "Ashok Khemka’s Crime? Durga Shakti’s Crime? Honesty !!". India Opines.
- "Unbequemer Beamter - Von dauernder Versetzung gefährdet". Der Spiegel. 15 April 2015.
- "Who is Ashok Khemka, Whistleblower Khemka shifted 40 times in 21 years". Hindustan Times Portal. 16 October 2012.
- "Executive Record of Ashok Khemka". GOI. Retrieved 19 August 2013.
- "Whistleblower Khemka shifted 40 times in 21 years". Hindustan Times.
- "Time to check the Khemka syndrome". The Hindu.
- "I am not a quitter, will stay in the system: Ashok Khemka". NDTV. 11 April 2013. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Khemka shifted again as he exposes seedy deal". The Hindu.
- "CBI begins inquiry into Ashok Khemka's complaint". The Economic Times. 19 October 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "CBI begins inquiry into Khemka's complaint on seed supply". NewsX. 18 October 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Whistleblower Ashok Khemka gets fresh death threats, FIR lodged". India Today.
- "Haryana approves Khemka chargesheet, major penalty in offing". Zeenews. 27 September 2013.
- "Robert Vadra back to haunt Ashok Khemka, chargesheeted again". One India Portal. 17 October 2013.
- "Haryana govt gives the go ahead for charging Khemka in a case of seeds sales". IBN Live. 17 October 2013.
- "'10 chargesheets will be filed against me,' IAS officer Ashok Khemka to NDTV". NDTV. 19 October 2013.
- "Haryana government is misusing its authority to penalise Ashok Khemka". The Economic Times. 19 October 2013.
- "Complete Bio-Data Ashok Khemka". National Informatics Centre, Government of India Portal.
- "IAS officer Ashok Khemka on his report on Robert Vadra land deals". NDTV News.
- "Haryana IAS officer probing Vadra-DLF deal transferred". Zee News.
- "Haryana IAS officer transferred". Times of India.
- "Khemka stands his ground over report against Vadra". Yahoo with Hindustan Times News.
- "Robert Vadra's land deal must be probed: Congress MP from Haryana". NDTV.