|Years active||1969 – present|
|Spouse(s)||Nivedita Joshi Saraf|
Ashok Saraf (Marathi: अशोक सराफ) (born 4 June 1947) is an Indian film and stage actor and comedian. He has appeared in many Marathi movies and stage plays in lead roles and in Hindi movies and TV serials in supporting roles. He is affectionately known as "MAMA", which in the entire Marathi film industry means closer human being. Most of the Marathi actors and actress called him the "Samrat Ashoka" of the Marathi film industry.
In the 1980s and 90s, Saraf was considered as one of the two Marathi comedy superstars, along with actor Laxmikant Berde. His brand of comedy has been emulated by many actors and serves as a benchmark for new upcoming comedy actors in Marathi cinema. Saraf started his career in Marathi cinema since the late 1960s. In the 1970s, he frequently appeared in supporting comic roles in Marathi movies with leading actors like Dada Kondke, Nilu Phule, Ravindra Mahajani, Avinash Masurekar and Raja Gosavi. His pairing with actress Ranjana Deshmukh was popular with Marathi movie fans.
From the early 1980s, Saraf started getting cast as the leading hero in Marathi films. The combination of Ashok Saraf, Laxmikant Berde, Sachin Pilgaonkar and Mahesh Kothare created the "comedy films wave" in Marathi cinema from 1985 that lasted for more than a decade. His successful Marathi films as the lead hero include Ek Daav Bhutacha, Dhoom Dhadaka, Gammat Jammat, Ashi hi Banava Banavi and Vazir. Saraf has also starred in television serials like Yeh Choti Badi Baatein and Hum Paanch (as Anand Mathur).
In Bollywood, he is best remembered for the comic "Munshiji" in Rakesh Roshan's 1995 action thriller Karan Arjun, in Yes Boss as Shahrukh Khan's colleague and in Singham as head constable. In the Marathi film industry, he is popularly known as "Mama" (maternal uncle). 
Ashok Saraf was born in Maharashtra. He spent his childhood at Chikhalwadi in south Mumbai. He completed his schooling at DGT Vidyalay Mumbai.
Ashok Saraf has been working in the film and television industry since the year 1969. He has acted in more than 250 Marathi films, out of which 100 were commercially successful. He has mostly acted in comedy films. He has played many roles in Marathi Cinema, Marathi Plays, Hindi Cinema, Marathi Television Serials and Hindi Television serials. He started his career with the Marathi movie Janaki in 1969. He then acted in the movies like Donhi Gharacha Pahuna, Jawal Ye Laju Nako, Tumacha Amacha Jamala, Chimanrao Gundyabhau, Deed Shahane, Haldikunku, Duniya Kari Salam and more during the 1970s and 1980s. He continued to work with Marathi films with Laxmikant Berde, Sachin and Mahesh Kothare. The Marathi movie moved in the different term of comedy during that phase. Ashi Hi Banava Banavi, Aayatya Gharat Gharoba and Dhum Dhadaka are some of the very popular Marathi movies.
Marathi film career
Ashok Saraf had a great pair with Laxmikant Berde, another great comedian from Marathi cinema who has also acted in many Hindi films. With Saraf, Sachin Pilgaonkar and Laxmikant Berde, together they played many Marathi films and most films were super-hits. Both Laxmikant and Ashok were known to be good friends of actor-director Sachin Pilgaonkar and actor-producer-director Mahesh Kothare. He tasted major success in Ashi Hi Banwa Banwi (1988), in the lead role with the two reigning superstars of Marathi cinema, Sachin Pilgaonkar and Laxmikant Berde. The movie was a runaway hit.
Hindi film career
Ashok Saraf is such a versatile actor that he also played important roles in Bollywood. Some of the roles which are remembered are from the films Singham, Pyaar Kiya To Darna Kya, Gupt, Koyla, Yes Boss and Karan Arjun. His performance in films against powerful comedy actors like Govinda, Johny Lever and Kader Khan was praised.
Hindi television serials
Ashok Saraf has also starred in television serials like Yeh Choti Badi Baatein and Hum Paanch (as Anand Mathur), which tasted a major success. Ashok Saraf's comedy show 'Don't Worry Hojayega which was at that time telecast on Sahara TV was very popular in the 1990s. Audiences were very excited to watch this show at that time.
Marathi play career
He has played number of roles in Marathi plays in his career. Some of the important plays are Hamidabaichi Kothi, Anidhikrut, Manomilan, He Ram Cardiogram, Darling Darling, Sarkha Chatit Dukhtay and Laginghai.
- 1977 - first Filmfare award for Ram Ram Gangaram. In total, 5 Filmfare awards
- Maharashtra government award for the movie Pandu Havaldar
- Screen award for the movie Sawai Havaldar
- Bhojpuri film award for Maika Bitua 
- 10 State government awards for Marathi films 
- Best Comedian in Maharashtracha Favorite Kon? 
- Due to his extraordinary performance in Marathi films, He is affectionately known as the Amitabh Bachchan of Marathi movies.
He is married to actress Nivedita Joshi-Saraf  They have one son named Aniket, who is a pastry chef.
- Aandhali Koshimbir (Marathi) (2014) .... Bapu Sadavarte
- Singham (Hindi) (2011) .... Head Constable Savalkar
- Dhoom 2 Dhamaal (2011)... Eknathrao Patil (Shiva)
- Kunasathi Kunitari (2011) ....
- Pakda Pakdi (2011) ....
- Familywala (Hindi) (2010) (Stuck/On Hold)
- Sarkhe Chhatit Dukthtaye (New Marathi Play) (2010) ....
- Ideachi Kalpana (2010) ....
- Most Wanted (2010)
- Tata Birla Ani Laila (2010)... Birla
- Aika Dajiba (2010) ....
- Master Eke Master (2009) ....
- Nishani Daava Angatha (2009) ....
- Hastil Tyache Daat Distil (2009) ....
- Balirajache Rajya Yeu De (2009) ....
- Gosht Lagnanantarchi (2009) ....
- Ekulti Ek (2008)
- Ek Daav Dhobi Pachhad (2008)
- Adala Badali (2008) .... Chandu
- Aaba Zindabad (2008)
- Baba Lagin (2008)
- Anolkhi Hey Ghar Maze (2008) .... Mr. Deshmukh
- Aamhi Satpute (2008) .... Mamanji
- Saade Maade Teen (2008) .... Ratan
- Sakkha Bhau Pakka Vairi (2008)
- Chalu Navra Bholi Bayko (2008)
- Ek Unad Divas (2007)
- Sakhi (2007)
- Mi Nahi Ho Tyatla (2007)
- Karaayla Gelo Ek (2007)
- Lapun Chapun (2007)
- Pahili Sher Dusri Savvasher Navara Pavsher (2006)
- Devaa Shapath Khota Saangen Khara Saangnaar Naahi (2006)
- Shubhmangal Savadhan (2006)
- Kalubaichya Navane Changbhal (2006)
- Akhand Saubhagywati (2006)
- Soon Laadki Saasarachi (2005)
- Saval Majhya Premacha (2005)
- Aai No. 1 (2005)
- Qatal E Aam (2005)
- Thoda Tum Badlo Thoda Hum (2004) ....
- Navra Maza Navsacha (2004) ....
- Sanshay Kallol (2004) ....
- Fukat Chambu Baburao (2004)
- Saglikade Bombabomb (2003)
- Kyaa Dil Ne Kahaa (2002) .... Mr. Patel
- Kuch Tum Kaho Kuch Hum Kahein (2002) .... Govind
- Ittefaq (2001) .... Shambhu Shikari
- Inteqam (2001) .... Murli (Watchman)
- Jodi No.1 (2001) .... Ashok Rai
- Aashiq (2001) .... Constable
- Afsana Dilwalon Ka (2001) .... Pyarebhai
- Bhajiwali Sakhu Havaldar Bhiku (2000)
- Joru Ka Ghulam (2000) .... P.K. Girpade
- Beti No. 1 (2000) .... Ram Bhatnagar
- Bhakti Heech Khari Shakti (2000)
- Saubhagyadan (2000) ....
- Khoobsurat (1999) .... Mahesh Chaudhary (Gambler)
- Bhasma (1999) .... Masanjogi
- Bandhan (1998) .... Chillu
- Pyar Kiya To Darna Kya (1998) .... Tadkalal
- Koi Kisi Se Kum Nahin (1997) ....
- Yes Boss (1997) .... Johnny
- Gupt: The Hidden Truth (1997) .... Havaldar Pandu
- Judge Mujrim (1997) .... PA Natwar
- Koyla (1997) .... Vedji
- Kunku (1997)
- Bal Bramhachari (1996) .... Pyare Mohan
- Aisi Bhi Kya Jaldi Hai (1996) .... Dr. Avinash
- Army (1996) .... Pascal
- Gehra Raaz (1996)
- Maaya Mamata (1996)
- Guddu (1995) .... Baliya
- Aazmayish (1995) .... Roshanlal
- Jamla Ho Jamla (1995)
- Karan Arjun (1995) .... Munshiji
- Topi Var Topi (1995)
- Dhamal Jodi (1995)
- Painjan (1995)
- Sukhi Sansarachi 12 Sutre (1995)
- Nazar Ke Samne (1994) .... Mamu
- Sangdil Sanam (1994) .... Bhalchander a.k.a. Sangdil Sanam: The Heartless Lover (USA: DVD box title)
- Aa Gale Lag Jaa (1994) .... Dhaniram
- Karan (1994)
- Vazir (1994)
- Sasar Maaher (1994)
- Ghayaal (1993)
- Dil Hai Betaab (1993) .... Vikram's employee
- Aaplee Maanse (1993)
- Jaagruti (1993) .... Sevalal
- Lapandav (1993).....Abheejit Samarth
- Wajva Re Wajva (1993)....uttam Tople
- Tu Sukhakarta (1993)
- Premankur (1993)
- Wat Pahate Punvechi (1993)
- Sarphira (1992)
- Meera Ka Mohan (1992)
- I Love You (1992)
- Naseebwaala (1992) .... Gangaram Lalwani
- Prem Deewane (1992) .... Shomu
- Shubh Mangal Savdhan (1992)
- Aikaav Te Nawalach (1992)
- Than Than Gopala (1992)
- Dhar Pakad (1992)
- Zhunj Tujhi Majhi (1992)
- Benaam Badsha (1991) .... Vinay Chandra Rathod a.k.a. VCR
- Aayatya Gharat Gharoba (1991) ....(fake) Gopal Kirthikar a.k.a. Gopukaka
- Aflatoon (1991) .... Bajarang Rav
- Chaukat Raja (1991) Gana
- Godi Gulabi (1991)
- Jasa Baap Tashi Poore (1991) .... Raja
- Mumbai Te Mauritius (1991) .... Prem Ladku a.k.a. Bombay to Mauritius (International: English title)
- Yaara Dildara (1991)
- Anapekshit (1991)
- Balidaan (1991)
- Thamb Thamb Jau Nako Lamb (1990)
- Ina Mina Dika (1990) .... Mina
- Shejari Shejari (1990) .... Keshav Kulkarni
- Chor Pe Mor (1990)
- Amchya Sarkhe Aamhich (1990) Abhay/Kailas
- Dhamal Bablya Ganpyachi (1990)
- Tuzhi Mazhi Jamli Jodi (1990) a.k.a. We Are Life Partners
- Eka Peksha Ek (1990)
- Ghanchakkar (1990)
- Ejaa Beeja Teeja (1990)
- Pheka Pheki (1989)
- Baapre Baap (1990)
- Tiyya (1990)
- Dharla Tar Chavatay (1989)
- Savla Maroti (1989)
- Bade Ghar Ki Beti (1989) .... Kasturi
- Atmavishwas (1989) .... Vijay Jhende
- Balache Baap Brahmachari (1989) .... Vilas T V Wale
- Bhutacha Bhau (1989)
- Maalmasala (1989)
- Ek Gadi Baki Anadi (1989)
- Kalat Nakalat (1989)
- Nawara Bayako (1989)
- Garibon Ka Daata (1989)
- Madhu Chandrachi Ratra (1989)
- Aaghat (1989)
- Ghar Ghar Ki Kahani (1988) .... Lallu Ram
- Ashi Hi Banwa Banwi (1988) .... Dhananjay Mane
- Aurat Teri Yehi Kahani (1988) .... Bhagwan Singh
- Changu Mangu (1988) .... Changu/Ayappa
- Maza Pati Karodpati (1988) .... Dinkar Luktuke a.k.a. My Husband Is a Millionaire (International: English title)
- Saglikade Bombabomb (1988)
- Disata Tas Nasata (1988)
- Mamla Poricha (1988)
- Pandharichi Vari (1988)
- Shiv Shakti (1988)
- Pratighaat (1987) .... Crooked Lawyer a.k.a. The Revenge
- Anandi Anand (1987)
- Chhakke Panje (1987) .... Ashok
- Gammat Jammat (1987) .... Phalgun
- Prem Karuya Khullam Khulla (1987) .... Bajarang
- Premasathi Vattel Te (1987)
- Muddat (1986) .... Narayan a.k.a. Ages
- Gadbad Ghotala (1986) .... Hemant 'Hemu' Dhole a.k.a. Everything in Chaos
- Maa Beti (1986)
- Tuzya Vachun Karmena (1986)
- Khara Warasdar (1986)
- Dhoom Dhadaka (1985) .... Ashok Gupchup
- Ghar Dwaar (1985) .... Bahadur
- Gaon Tasa Changla Pan Veshila Tangla (1985)
- Khichadi (1985)
- Ghar Dwaar(Hindi Movie) (1985)
- Sagge Soyare (1985)
- Phulwari (1984) .... Rickshaw driver
- Abodh (1984) .... Hanuman (Shankar's friend)
- Ek Daav Bhutacha (1984) .... Mavala Bhut khandoji farjand
- Sasu varchadh Jawai (1984)
- BinKamacha Navara (1984)..... Tukaram/Tukya
- Gosht Dhamal Namyachi (1984).... Namdev/Namya
- Hech Mazha Maher (1984)..... Kammana
- Navari Mile Navryala (1984) .... Baalasaheb Inamdar a.k.a. The Boy Gets a Bride (International: English title)
- Bahuroopi (1984)....Bahurupi
- Chawhata (1984)
- Kulswamini Ambabai (1984)
- Zakhmi Waghin (1984)
- Gulchaadi (1984)
- Jugalbandi (1984)
- Savvasher (1984)
- Thakas Mahathak (1984)
- Baiko Asavi Ashi (1983)
- Gupchup Gupchup (1983) .... Prof. Dhond
- Raghu Maina (1983)
- Kashala Udyachi Baat (1983)
- Galli Te Dilli (1982)
- Don Baika Fajiti Aika (1982)
- Maibaap (1982)
- Savitrichi Sun (1982)
- Ek Dav Bhatacha (1982)
- Aapalech Daat Aapalech Oth (1982)
- Bhannat Bhanu (1982)
- Daivat (1982)
- Gondhalat Gondhal (1981) .... Madan
- Sundara Satarkar (1981)
- Are Sansar Sansar (1981)
- Govinda Aala Re Aala (1981)
- Nagin (1981)
- Mosmabi Narangi (1981)
- Choravar Mor (1980)
- Phatakadi (1980)
- Sulavarchi Poli (1980)
- Hich Khari Daulat (1980)
- Sawaj (1980)
- Saubhagwan (1980)
- Sharan Tula Bhagwanta (1980)
- Duniya Kari Salam (1979) .... Shivanand
- Meri Biwi Ki Shaadi (1979) .... Advocate Venkat Vyas
- Paijecha Vida (1979)
- Chimanrao Gundyabhau (1979)
- Haldikunku (1979)
- Bailaveda (1979)
- Deed Shahane (1979)
- Sasurvashin (1978)
- Damaad (1978)
- Gyanabachi Mekh (1979)
- Sushila (1978)
- Ram Ram Gangaram (1977).....Mhamdu Khatik
- Nawara Maja Bramhmachari (1977)
- Jawal Ye Laju Nako (1976)
- Tumacha Amacha Jamala (1976)
- Pandu Hawaldar (1975)
- Varat (1975)
- Pandoba Poragi Phasali (1975)
- Aalay Tufan Darayala (1973)
- Donhi Gharcha Pahuna (1971)
- Janaki (1969)
Marathi Natak (Drama)
- Lagin Ghaai
- Bandu Aani Batate Pohe – Hasavnyasaathi Janama Apula
- Sarkh Chatit Dukhtay
- Prema Tuza Rang Kasa
- Zala Ekdach
- "Ashok Saraf's Ek Dao Dhobi Pachhaad to release on Jan 2". Daily News and Analysis. 30 December 2008. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- Ashol Saraf
- .तेव्हापासून मी 'मामा' झालो - अशोक सराफ Archived 26 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- त्या मुलीने मामा बनवले
- 'दोन्ही घरचा पाहुणा' (१९७२) या पहिल्या चित्रपटापासूनची अशोक सराफची अभिनयाची वाटचाल बहुरुपी
- अभिनयसम्राट (अशोक सराफ) Archived 6 June 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ashok0 Archived 5 May 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- अशोक सराफ अपघातातून बचावले
- सचिन, महेश दोघांची शैली वेगळी आहे- अशोक सराफ
- गुणी आणि दमदार अभिनेता - अशोक सराफ
- अशोक सराफ
- अशोक सराफ
- Ashok Saraf Archived 22 April 2016 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ashok Saraf Awards Archived 6 June 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- अशोक सराफ महाराष्ट्राचा फेवरेट विनोदवीर
- Nivedita Joshi-Saraf(निवेदिता जोशी)
- Aandhali Koshimbir
- Komal Nahta. "Movie Review Singham". Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Kazmi, Nikhat (21 July 2011). "Singham". Times of India. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "marathi cinema Database". Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Bunny Reuben (2005). --and Pran: a biography. HarperCollins Publishers India, a joint venture with India Today Group, New Delhi. p. 423. Retrieved 30 November 2012.