Ashoknagar, North 24 Parganas
|District||North 24 Parganas|
|Named for||Ashoke Kumar Sen|
|• Municipality Chairman||Probodh Sarkar|
|• MLA||Dhiman Roy|
|• Official||Bengali, Hindi, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||(std_code) +913216|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Barasat|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Ashoknagar|
Ashokenagar Kalyangarh (Bengali: অশোকনগর কল্যাণগড়) is a city and a municipality under Ashoknagar police station of Barasat sadar subdivision in North 24 Parganas district in the state of West Bengal, India.
Ashokenagar has a heritage of political consciousness, education and cultural movements. Ashokenagar Kalyangarh was planned by Dr. B.C Roy and later named after the leader Ashoke Kumar Sen. Principal architects of Ashokenagar Kalyanagarh were late Congress leader Tarun Kanti Ghosh, late congress leader Keshab Bhattacharjee, late CPI leader Dr. Sadhan Sen, late CPI(M) leader Bikash Ray Chaudhuri,late CPI(M) leader Nani Kar and Late Chitta Ranjan Basu (CPI-Leader of the common man).
The area has two parks - Sanghati Park and Millennium Science Park. It has a degree college, two hospitals, a nursing home, several high schools, several nursery & kindergarten (K.G) schools, several primary schools, an engineering and management institution, two community halls and many sub-community halls. There are a stadium, a picnic garden, two swimming pools and three multi gyms. There are two English medium schools in Ashokenagar. The area is well connected to Kolkata through rail and road networks.
Some of the schools of the locality include Ashokenagar Banipith Girls' High School, Ashokenagar Adarsha Balika Vidyalaya, Ashokenagar Boys' Secondary School, Kalyangarh Vidyamandir for Boys, Kalyangarh Balika Bidyalaya,Kalyangarh Bidhanchandra Vidyapith(H.S).
Ashokenagar has the Kalyani Spinning Mill. It previously had a unit of RIC and a chemicals factory both of which were closed down by the state government.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Education
- 5 Transport
- 6 Politics
- 7 Sports
- 8 Non Government Organization
- 9 Culture
- 10 Avijatri Theatre Festival
- 11 Adorer Nouka
- 12 Ashokenagar Sahitto Patrika
- 13 Bank/Financial Institutions
- 14 References
In the British period it was a Royal Air Force (RAF) station, an airfield. It played host to airlines, and til todayt four hangars of the RAF still stand. After Independence Dr. Bidhan Chandra Roy, the then CM of West Bengal developed that airfield to a planned city. Formerly this place was known as "Habra Urban Colony". Later its north-east portion was named "Kalyangarh" and then its south-west portion was named "Ashokenagar".
This place known as
Miniaturisation or tiny edition of Bangladesh (বাংলাদেশের ক্ষুদ্র সংস্করণ).
Ashokenagar is located at.
As of 2011[update] India census, Ashokenagar Kalyangarh had a population of 123,906. Males constitute 62,554 of the population and females 61,352. The 0–6 years population was 8,885. Ashokenagar Kalyangarh had an average literacy rate of 92.45%.
It has a very high literacy rate there(92.45% according to census 2011). There are high schools for girls and boys, and a large number of primary schools (government and private).
Private Nursery & K.G. School
- KIDZEE Pre-School
- Raktarabi Nursery & K.G. School
- Ananda Nursery & K.G. School
- Ranapratap Nursery & K.G. School
- Ramkrishna Sishu Sikhsya Niketan Nursery & K.G School
- Kalyangarh Saraswati Shishu Mandir
- Netaji Shikha Niketan Nursery & K.G School
- Vivekananda Sishu Tirtha Nursery & K.G School (Under the supervision of Ashoknagar Shri Ramakrishna Sangha,BADAM TALA)
- Agrani Nursery & K.G. School
- Pragyananda Nimno Buniyadi Vidhyalaya
- Banipith Primary School
- Kalyangarh Netaji Pathshala
- Kalyangarh Dadoshpally primary School
- Kalyangarh Vidyamandir Primary School
- Harekrishna Konar G.S.F.P School
- Binapani Primary School
- Netaji Prathomik Vidhyalaya
- South Kalyangarh G.S.F.P School
- New Kankpul Primary School
- Kalitala Bani Mandir Primary school
- Kalyangarh Uttarpara Binapani Primary School and many more...
- Nayasamaj Adarsha Prathamik Bidyalaya
- Kachua Bagpara F.P.School
- Debinagar Boy's High School
- Debinagar Girl's High school
- Kalitala Bani Mandir High School
- Ashokenagar Boys' Secondary School
- Ashokenagar Banipith Girls School
- Ashokenagar Adarsha Balika Vidyalaya
- Kalayangarh Vidya Mandir
- Kalayangarh Balika vidyalaya
- Ashokenagar Vidyasagar Bani Bhawan
- Ashokenagar Vivekananda Vidyalaya
- Ashokenagar Kamala Nehru Adarsha Vidyamandir (For Girls)
- Ashokenagar Maa saradamani vidyapith (For girls)
- Ashokenagar High School
- Kalyangarh Bidhanchandra Vidyapith(H.S)
- Haripur Sanaskrita Sangha Uchha Vidyalaya
- Haripur Sanaskrita Sangha Balika Vidyalaya
- Sendanga Chaturdash Palli High School
- St. Francis School, Guma
- Netaji Satabarshiki Mahavidyalaya
- Swami Vivekananda College for Hotel & Management
Ashokenagar Road is 41 kilometres (25 mi) from Sealdah Station and 18 km from Barasat on the Sealdah-Bangaon branch line of Eastern Railway. It is part of the Kolkata Suburban Railway system. Ashoknagar Road is directly connected on NH 35 (Jessore Road).
Buses from Habra Bus Terminal are directly connected to Naihati, Maslandapur, Madhyamgram, Bangaon, Barasat, Nagarukhra, Kalyani, Basirhat, Kolkata, Bagdah, Chakdah, Bagjola, Digha, Durgapur, Bandel, Baruipur, Howrah, Badkulla, krishnanagar, Barasat, Alampur, Dattaphulia, Nimta, Sodepur, Duttapukur, Jagulia. Ashoknagar Bypass Road is directly connected on NH 35 (Jessore Road) & NH 34 (Kolkata to Siliguri).
The NH 35, commonly known as Jessore Road initiating from Belgacchia Road (Nani Kar Soroni) Kolkata passese through the town( via Belgacchia, Ayra, Bonbonia, Debinagar, Vatchala, Kalyangarh Bazar, Kalyangarh more, Sherpur) heading towards Bangladesh through the border town Bongaon, approximately 38 km from Ashoknagar.
The town is well connected by road and railway to Kolkata. It is also connected to Naihati and the Habra Jirat Road merging with NH 34 leads to Nadia district.
The town is a very planned one, divided into 23 municipal wards. The town being originally planned as a township to rehabilitate the refugee influx after partition, it contains beautiful housing plots under several schemes(areas or regions in the town). The roads are wide, lined in both sides with tridrant lamps and tube lights and mercury vapours with automatic signalling system at all the important junctions.
Ashokenagar was a bastion of Left politics.The area was witness to the food movements of 1959 and 1966, refugee, students' and teachers' movements kept the locality politically vibrant till 1977. When the assembly segment was created for the first time in 1967, it was won by Dr. Sadhan Sen of the CPI. He held the seat in 1969 also. Nani Kar of CPI(M) defeated Keshab Chandra Bhattachatjee of INC/Ind in 1991, 1987, 1982 1977 and 1971. Keshab Chandra Bhattacharuiya of Independent defeated Nani Kar of CPI(M) in 1972. In 1996, Nirod Roy Choudhury of CPI(M) defeated Dhiman Roy of INC. After the sudden death of Nirod Roy Choudhury, Mr. Badal Bhattacharjee of BJP defeated the CPIM candidate Rekha Goswami by the big support of Trinomool Congress in 1998.
In 2001, Sharmistha Dutta of CPI(M) defeated Ashok Krishna Dutta of AITC. Satyasebi Kar of CPI(M) won the Ashoknagar assembly seat in 2006 defeating Dhiman Roy of AITC. Dhiman Roy of AITC defeated Satyasebi Kar of CPIM in 2011 assembly election by huge margin. In 2016, Dhiman Roy of AITC defected Satyasebi Kar of CPIM again.
The municipality was run by the Left Front till 2010.The first elected chairperson of AKM was shri Bikash Raychawdhury for the period 1981 to 1994, then Smt.Sarmistha Dutta was for the period 1994 to 2010,both were from C.P.I(M) and Sri Chitta Ranjan Basu (CPI) was the Vice-Chairman who had driven various developments in the areas of Education to Amusement/Recreation to Infrastructure & Utilities. Some of his work include Sanhati Park, Science Park, Joy Jayanti, Kochua More, Matri Sadan Hospital, Chodui Bhati etc.. Later he stopped contesting the polls when the seat was allotted to backward caste candidate of CPI. Then Mr. Samir Dutta of TMC was Chairman of Ashoknagar Kalyangarh Municipality 22.06.2010 to 2015. Now Mr. Prododh Sarkar of TMC is Chairman of Ashokenagar Kalyanagarh Municipality (23.05.2015).
In 2005, the first human rights organization came into this area, known as CPDR Ashoknagar Branch by the initiative of social worker Shri Shyamal Kumar Shome(Chandan Shome).He is also working president of the organization in this area.
Ashokenagar Sports Association (ASA) organize every year Football, Cricket & many other League. Camellia Creative Cricket coaching center —is now a High Quality Cricket Coaching Camp..Held By MR. Shiladitya Mazumder... Ashokenagar Premier League T20 - Ashokenagar Sports Organization (ASO) is the organizer of this Tournament
The first season of APLT20 cricket tournament consisted of seven teams and 46 matches on five grounds. All the matches of APL followed the internationally recognized rules of T-20 cricket made by the ICC. The event was held over two months. The organizing committee website is at .
APLT20 began on 9 November 2010 with a charitable match between players from all the teams and ex cricketer’s of Ashokenagar.—— That day, books, dresses and food packets were to be distributed among poor needy children from different schools.
The group league matches started from 20 November. Four teams 'Nabin Sangha Rockers', 'Bush Rangers', 'Challenger Express', 'Royal Warriors' entered into the semifinals after completion of the group League Matches. Nabin Sangha Rockers and Challenger Express entered into the final beating Royal Warriors and Bush Rangers respectively.This was the first time in Habra-Ashokenagar region that a T20 final was played at night in presence of thousand of spectators.
Nabin Sangha Rockers beat Challenger Express in the final by three wickets to win the APLT20 champion trophy.
In Ashok Nagar Nayasamaj Club is running Football Coaching centre.
Non Government Organization
- Ashokenagar Kalyangarh Sishu Utsav Committee,
- Bikash Manan Parishad.
- Ashoknagar Shri Ramakrishna Sangha.
- Ashok Nagar Ajantrik Social Scientific and Cultural Organisation
Ashokenagar has a rich cultural history. Footballer Samaresh Chowdhury (Pintu Chowdhury),Ashim Biswas,Sankar Shadhu, Raja Banerjee , Sankar Das ( Choto ), belong to Ashokenagar.
Ashokenagar is known for big Durga Pujas as well as the Kali Puja venues. Kalyangarh region is well known for its Jagaddhatri Puja.
Some of the clubs that celebrate Durga Puja on a large scale are
- 4no. keshabpally Unnayan Samiti.
- Balok Brinda Club - Mahila Samiti (Kankpul 19 No.),
- 8no Scheme Bharati Club
- Ashokenagar Shyamaprasad Avenue (Kalobari Sporting Club)
- Bharati Sangha
- 3 No. Mitali Sangha
- Balaka Sangha (A.G.Colony)
- Agradoot Sangha (4 No.)
- Broti Sangha
- Pancher Pally
- Kendrio Durgoutsav Committee (1/3 More)
- Rabindra Sangha
- 3 No. Scheme Odibasi Brindro (Vivekananda Club)
- Pally Sangha
- Surhid Sangha
- Milan Sangha
- Ashoknagar Madhhya Pally (Netaji Subhas Sanga)
- Sakti Shadhana Club
- Kalpataru seba sangha (kankpul)
- Nabarun Sangha
- Agni Bina Club
- Banitirtha Club
- Sisutirtha Club
- Seemanta para Sarbojonin (Netaji sangha)
- Ashoknagar Bandhab Samiti
- Janakalyan Shaba
- Sabuj Sangha
- Kalitala Adhibasi Brindo
- Kayadanga Songha Mitra Club
- Kalyangarh Bazar Bebosai Somiti
- Ramkrishna Seba Samiti
- Tarun Sanga Kalyangarh 6No
- Maniknagar kishore sangha club.
- Santi Sangha .
- Tarun Palli Durga Uthsab committee
- Chatro Sangha .
- Bashtala Adhibashi Brinda.
- 2 No Scheme Yubak Sangha
- Goll bazar babshyai samiti
- Purbachal Sangha
- Shib bari
- Bidyarthi Club
- Bansh5ala Adhibashi brindo
- Subhashpally Durgotsob Committe
- Sahid bag
- Binapani Sangha
- Maniknagar Sabujmoni Club
Some of the clubs that celebrate Kali Puja on a large scale are
- Balok Brinda Club (Kankpul 19 No.),
- Sanghashri Club,
- Agradoot Club (8 No.),
- Bhangagora Club,
- Balaka Sangha (A.G.Colony),
- SABUJ SANGHA (TARUNPALLY)
- Pancher Pally.
- kalyangarh uttarpara amra sabai club,
- Bandhu Milan Club (Kankpul Palpara)
- Jana Kalyan Club (Kankpul Palpara)
Some small Kali Pujas are celebrated.
- Sangrami Sangha (Kachua Bagpara 6 No word. Ashokenagar).
- Swamiji Sangha ( 7 No Scheme )
- Balok Samiti..Kalyangarh 12no. Ward
- Skylark ( স্কাইলার্ক ); Radha Chemical More
- Amra Sabai ( আমরা সবাই ); 9no. Ward.
- Kalyangarh Football Coaching Center
- Arunoday ( অরুণোদয় ), 60 feet more, Kalyangarh
- Ramkrishna Seba Samiti ( রামকৃষ্ণ সেবা সমিতি )
- Bhratri Sangha ( ভ্রাতৃ সংঘ )
- Kalyangarh Dadoshpally (কল্যাণগড় দ্বাদশ পল্লী )
- Kalyangarh Netaji Bagh ( নেতাজী বাগ), Kalyangarh Bazar
- Naboday ( নবোদয় ), Roket More.
- Kayadanga Natta Colony ( K.N.C ) (কয়াডাঙা নট্ট কলোনি )
- Nabo Jagrata Sangha ( নব জাগ্রত সংঘ)
- Kayadanga Netaji sangha (কয়াডাঙা নেতাজী সংঘ )
- Kayadanga Deshbandu Club (কয়াডাঙা দেশবন্ধু ক্লাব )
- Debinagar Adhibasi Brindo (দেবীনগর অধিবাসী বৃন্দ )
- Jagarani Sangha ( জাগরনী সংঘ )
- Binapani Sangha ( বীনাপানি সংঘ )
- Kalyangarh Netaji Sangha (কল্যাণগড় নেতাজী সংঘ )
- Kalyangarh Macha Samiti (কল্যাণগড় মাচা সমিতি )
- KALYANGARH 5 NO SABUJ SANGHA
- KISHOR BRINDA
☆"Sishu Utsab", a children's festival is held every year. It starts from 14 November which is celebrated as Children's Day in the country and continues for 3 months.
☆A book fair isheld every year by the Ashokenagar Kalyangarh Educational and Research society.
The town hall of Ashokenagar is named "Sahid Sadan" where cultural programmes organised by local organisations are held.
Avijatri Theatre Festival
Ashokenagar Avijatri Sanaskritic Sanastha (popularly known as AVIJATRI) organises a five-day ‘All Bengal Theatre Festival’ every year, during the holidays of 23 and 26 January since 1997. About 252 plays are acted by teams from almost every corner of the state. In 2012, including 'Nandikar' with their production 'Madhabi', 13 other theatre groups participated in the festival.
The web magazine (www.aadorernouka.in) is published from Ashoknagar. Adorer Nouka is a popular Bengali web magazine. Editor: Abhik Dutta
Ashokenagar Sahitto Patrika
The little magazine 'Ashokenagar Sahitto Patrika' is published from Ashoknagar.This magazine is a rising sun in the field of little magazine.They are going to publish the special issue "Sharadindu Bandyopadhyay" sankha in the next Kolkata Book Fair.
There are several banks present at Ashokenagar.
- Bank of India
- Union Bank of India
- State Bank of India
- United Bank of India
- Axis Bank Ltd
- Bangiya Gramin Bikash Bank
- Alahabad Bank
- UCO Bank
- Samabay Gramin Bank
- Official District Administration site
- District-wise list of statutory towns Archived 30 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Eastern Railway time table