This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (October 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Ashrafs are the descendants of the Sufi saint Syed Ashraf Jahangir Semnani who had settled at Kichhauchha Sharif (Ashrafpur Kichhauchha) in the Ambedkar Nagar District, Uttar Pradesh, India, after relinquishing his throne in Semnan (Iran). His shrine is situated at Dargah, Rasoolpur, between Kichaucha Sharif and Baskhari Sharif and is visited by thousands of devotees irrespective of caste, creed and sex. The Ashraf family members' chief meeting place are Baskhari Sharif & Kichaucha Sharif, where their main family members reside. It is one of the most revered and authentic families of Hashemite Syeds residing in India.
Some prominent Ashrafs are:
- Syed Abdur-Razzaq Nurul-Ain
- Syed Amin Ashraf (1930–2013)
- Syeda Ummehani Ashraf (born 1949)
- Syed Mohammad Izhar Ashraf (1934–2012)
- Syed Mohammad Ashraf Kichhouchhwi (born 1966)
- Syed Waheed Ashraf (born 1933)
Poets and their works
Poetry has been one of the intellectual hobbies in the Ashrafi family since the very beginning (see in the preface of the Book 'Rubai'). However the first publication of a poetic composition was in the first quarter of 20th century by Syed Ali Husain Ashrafi in a book entitled, Tahaife Ashrafi. A critical evaluation of his poetry has also been done by Syed Amin Ashraf (1931–2013) and the same is included in Amin Ashraf's book of critical essays entitled BargoBar. Syed Nazar Ashraf who was a Unani physician also penned poetry. His son Syed Muhammad Muhaddis also composed poetry which has been published in his poetic collection entitled, Farsh Par Arsh mainly containing 'Naats'. In the third generation of Syed Nazar Ashraf's offspring his grandson Syed Muhammad Madni too has brought out his own collection of Naat's and Ghazals entitledTajalliyate Sukhanin 2004.
A brief account of men of letters, poets and Sufis, in particular of the members of the Ashrafi clan residing in Kichaucha Sharif, is available in the preface of the book by Syed Waheed Ashraf entitled Rubai Vol. I. Syed Abdul Hai Ashraf who was Sajjada Nasheen residing in Baskhari was also a physician and a poet and had published his compositions. He used the penname 'Hosh'. The poetic compositions in the early days were largely confined to the genre of 'Naat' and 'Manqabat'. But in recent times poets like Syed Amin Ashraf,and Syed Waheed Ashraf have tried their hands at other forms like Ghazal, Nazm, Rubai, Qaseeda and Masnavi.
List of mystical (Sufism) works
- A Critical Edition of the Lajaif-I-Ashrafi Fi Bayan-I-Tawaif-I-Sufi of Hazrat Syed Ashraf Jahangir Semnani (PhD thesis) by Syed Waheed Ashraf (1965), Aligarh Muslim University.
- Hayate Makhdoom Syed Ashraf Jahangir Semnani (1975) by Syed Waheed Ashraf Second Ed. (2017) ISBN 978-93-85295-54-6, Maktaba Jamia Ltd, Shamshad Market, Aligarh 202002, India
- Sahaife Ashrafi (Urdu) by Syed Ali Husain Ashrafi
- Tasawwuf Part I (Urdu, 1988) by Syed Waheed Ashraf, reprint (2016) ISBN 978-93-85295-28-7, Maktaba Jamia Ltd, Shamshad Market, Aligarh 202002, India
Books on Ashrafi family works
- Hazrat Maulana Syed Shah Abdul Hai Hosh Ashrafi- Hayaat Aur Shairi, by Dr. Kaazim Hashmi, Pages 224, Published by Maktaba Faizan Syed Shah Abdul Hai Ashraf o Fakhrul Masahikh, Baskhari, AmbedkarNagar, 2014
- Dr. Syed Waheed Ashraf Ki Rubai Nigari by Dr. Azhar Alam, published with the financial assistance from the Fakhruddin Ali Memorial Committee, Govt. of Uttar Pradesh in 2002
- Meezan-e-Harf (Collection of Critical papers on Poetry of Syed Amin Ashraf) compiled by Hakim Syed Zillur Rahman, Ibn Sina Academy, Aligarh, India (2012)
- https://www.rekhta.org/ebooks/rubai-syed-waheed-ashraf-kichhauchhvi-ebooks(Urdu-1987) by Syed Waheed Ashraf
- 'Hazrat Maulana Syed SHah Abdul Hai Hosh Ashrafi- Hayaat Aur Shairi, by Dr. Kaazim Hashmi, Pages 224, Published by Maktaba Faizan Syed Shah Abdul Hai Ashraf o Fakhrul Masahikh, Baskhari, AmbedkarNagar, 2014
- HAYATE MAKHDOOM SYED ASHRAF JAHANGIR SEMNANI (2nd Ed.), 2017
- Syed Waheed Ashraf (2017), HAYATE MAKHDOOM SYED ASHRAF JAHANGIR SEMNANI (2nd Ed.), MAKTABA JAMIA LIMITED, SHAMSHAD MARKET, ALIGARH-202002, U.P. INDIA: MAKHDOOM SYED ASHRAF JAHANGIR ACADEMY,BARODA, GUJARAT
- 'Akhbarul Akhyar' By Abdal Haqq Muhaddith Dehlwi [d.1052H-1642 CE ]. A short biography of the prominent Sufis of India have been mentioned in this book including that of Syed Ashraf Jahangir Semnani
- 'Nurul-Ain' by Syeda Aal Fatima, Published 1974
- 'Sheikh Mubarak Budley Jaisi aur Awadh men Islam ki Nashr wa Ishaat men un ki khidmaat, by Mohsin Atique Khan Nadwi, Bright-Way Foundation, Lucknow, 2014
- http://www.ashrafesimna.org - Ashrafesimna Academy, is dedicated to great scholars of Ashrafi order... Pir Ashraful-ulema Abul Hasan Shykh Saiyed Mohammed Ashraf Ashrafi-Jilani. Kichhouchvi