Ashta, Madhya Pradesh
|Elevation||519 m (1,703 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-MP|
Ashta is located at  It has an average elevation of 519 metres (1702 feet and 4 hands)..
Ashta has a river named "Parvati" which is the main source of water to the inhabitants there. Parvati is named as because it has a Shiv temple nearby which is also believed to be more than 3500 yr ago. Shiv is the name of Hindu God and Parvati is the name of his wife, and hence the river is named so. One interesting belief is there in Ashta that in the month of Sawan (Rainy season), the river parvati gets flooded with water and the water level rises until up to that level when it reaches to Shiv-Ling(Lingam) in the Shiv temple on its bank. During British India, this area was ruled by Mirza Amjad Baig, regarded as founder of present day Ashta. He not only brought transportation to the city, but also established an education system for both men and women.
Ashta is a beautiful town which includes all facilities including hospitals, schools, cinema hall and road transport. There are about 300 villages in Ashta block . Ashta is Also famous for its grain market, known as "Mandi" in local language. Primary, the grain market is famous for Soybean and wheat.
Some famous Places are:
- Jain Temple: There is a Jain temple situated on a hill locally named Kila (Fort). Here moolnayak (the main statue) is shri Neminath Bhagwan (Lord Neminath). This is also an Atishay Kshetra.
- Khedapati Temple: Khedapati Temple is one of the famous temples in Ashta. It is situated near a pond. This temple is of lord Hanuman.
- Ilahi Mata Mandir: Ilahi Mata Mandir is located in the village Bhounra 15km from Ashta City which is a very old ancient temple; Special Pooja is being held on Navratri.
- Shankar Mandir: This is a most historical temple is Ashta. This temple is situated on the bank of river Parvati.
As of 2001[update], India's census, Ashta's population was 59,773. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Ashta has an average literacy rate of 63%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 58% of the males and 42% of females literate. Seventeen percent (17%) of the population is under 6 years of age.
The Ashta city is divided into 19 wards for which elections are held every 5 years. The Ashta Municipality has population of 53,184 of which 27,591 are males while 25,593 are females as per report released by Census India 2011.
Population of Children with age of 0-6 is 7483 which is 14.07% of total population of Ashta (M + OG). In Ashta Municipality, Female Sex Ratio is of 928 against state average of 931. Moreover, Child Sex Ratio in Ashta is around 933 compared to Madhya Pradesh state average of 918. Literacy rate of Ashta city is 79.41% higher than state average of 69.32%. In Ashta, Male literacy is around 85.33% while female literacy rate is 73.01%.
Ashta Municipality has total administration over 10,006 houses to which it supplies basic amenities like water and sewerage. It is also authorized to build roads within Municipality limits and impose taxes on properties coming under its jurisdiction.
Currently Ashta municipal Committee is led by Adv.Kailash Parmar who was President of Municipality for 10 years before last session of Dr. Meenal Singi. The M.L.A. from Ashta is Mr. Ranjeet Singh Gunwan.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Ashta
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.