||This article needs attention from an expert in Hinduism/Shaivism. The specific problem is: The article needs additional content for viewers unfamiliar with the subject and general attention from an expert. (August 2012)|
Ashta Bhairavas ("Eight Bhairavas") are eight manifestations of the Hindu god Bhairava, a ferocious aspect of the god Shiva. They guard and control the eight directions. Each Bhairava has eight sub Bhairavas under him. All of the Bhairavas are ruled and controlled by Maha Kala Bhairava(shown in picture), who is considered the supreme ruler of time of the universe and the chief form of Bhairava.
Ashta Bhairava with their consort, vahana(mount), direction he guards are given below. Also given the consecrated temples in Tamil Nadu, India, where people born on the listed nakshatras get his favours, Dosha Nivritti (remedy for problems) and their lucky stones.
Sri Asitanga Bhairava
- Consort: Brahmi
- Vahana: Swan
- Direction: East
- Temple: Sattanathar Temple, Sirkazhi and Brahma Sira Kandeeswarar Temple, Thirukandiyur.
- Nakshatram/ Birth Star: Punarpoosam, Visakam, Purattadhi
- Stone: Yellow Sapphire
Sri Ruru Bhairava
- Consort: Maheshwari
- Vahana: Ox
- Direction: Southeast
- Temple: Rathnagiriswarar Temple,Thirumarugal
- Nakshatram/ Birth Star: Karthikai, Uthiradam, Uthiram
- Stone: Ruby
Sri Chanda Bhairava
- Consort: Kaumari
- Vahana: Peacock
- Direction: South
- Temple: Vaitheeswaran Koil
- Nakshatram/ Birth Star: Mrgaseersham, Chithirai, Avittam
- Stone: Coral
Sri Krodha Bhairava
- Consort: Vaishnavi
- Vahana: Eagle
- Direction: South-West
- Temple: Thiruvisanallur, Thirunaraiyur
- Nakshatram/ Birth Star: Rohini, Astham, Thiruvonam
- Stone: Pearl
Sri Unmattha Bhairava
Sri Kapala Bhairava
- Consort: Indrani
- Vahana: Elephant
- Direction: North-West
- Temple: Thiruvirkudi, Thirupanthuruthi
- Nakshatram/ Birth Star: Bharani, Pooram, Puradam
- Stone: Diamond
Sri Bheeshana Bhairava
- Consort: Chamundi
- Vahana: Lion
- Direction: North
- Temple: Rameswaram, Piranmalai
- Nakshatram/ Birth Star: Thiruvadhirai, Swati, Sadayam, Ashwini, Magha, Mula
Sri Samhara Bhairava
- Consort: Chandi
- Vahana: Dog
- Direction: Northeast
- Temple: Thiruvenkadu, Kolli Malai, Vairavanpatti, Hosur
- Nakshatram/ Birth Star: Ayilyam, Ketai, Revathi
- Kanniks Kannikeswaran. "Sirkali Bhramapureeswarar -Thoniappar Temple - Shivastalam". Templenet.com. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "Thiru Kandiyur". Temples of Tamilnadu. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- "Navagraha Temples|Tamilnadu Temples Information website|". Kumbakonam-temples.blogspot.sg. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
- Krishnan, Shamala (2009-02-10). "Ancient Temples of India: kundrakudi and Vairavan temple, Thirupathore, Madurai". Ancientindiantemple.blogspot.sg. Retrieved 2012-09-01.
Media related to Bhairava at Wikimedia Commons