This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
She is the author of This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism and a spokesperson for a movement to mobilize against discrimination on the basis of age. In 2016, she joined the PBS site Next Avenue’s annual list of 50 Influencers in Aging as their Influencer of the Year. Applewhite has been recognized by The New York Times, National Public Radio, the New Yorker, and the American Society on Aging as an expert on ageism. She blogs at ThisChairRocks.com, and has written for Harper’s, the Guardian, and The New York Times. She has been named as a Fellow by the Knight Foundation, The New York Times, Yale Law School, and the Royal Society for the Arts. In 2015 she was included in a list of 100 inspiring women who are committed to social change.
Applewhite is also the author of Cutting Loose: Why Women Who End Their Marriages Do So Well and other books. Under the pseudonym Blanche Knott, she wrote the Truly Tasteless Jokes series, the first volume of which was the best-selling mass-market book of 1983, and was the first woman to have four books on The New York Times best-seller list. Applewhite's memoir, "Being Blanche" was published in Harper's Magazine in June 2011.
- Applewhite, Ashton. This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism, New York: Celadon Books, March 5, 2019. ISBN 9781250311481
- Applewhite, Ashton. This Chair Rocks: A Manifesto Against Ageism, Networked Books, Inc., March 15, 2016. ISBN 9780996934701
- Applewhite, Ashton. Cutting Loose: Why Women Who End Their Marriages Do So Well, New York: HarperCollins, 1997, ISBN 9780060174552; reissued on 2017 with new introduction by the author, ISBN 9780062680709.
- Applewhite, Ashton and Bernie S. Siegel. Thinking Positive: Words of Inspiration, Encouragement, and Validation for People with AIDS and Those Who Care for Them, New York: Fireside Books, 1995. ISBN 9780684802664
- Applewhite, Ashton; Tripp Evans; and Andrew Frothingham. And I Quote (Revised Edition): The Definitive Collection of Quotes, Sayings, and Jokes for the Contemporary Speechmaker, New York: Thomas Dunne Books, 1992, ISBN 9780312068974; revised edition, 2003. ISBN 9780312307448
- Knott, Blanche. Truly Tasteless Jokes Three, New York: Ballantine Books, May 12, 1985. ISBN 9780345329226
- Knott, Blanche. Truly Tasteless Jokes Two, New York: Ballantine Books, June 12, 1983. ISBN 9780345311566
- Knott, Blanche. Truly Tasteless Jokes, New York: Random House, May 6, 1982. ISBN 9780394329208
- This Chair Rocks Consulted on June 17, 2019
- 'I refuse to regret waking up a day older': Ashton Applewhite's fight for age pride Published by The Guardian on 17 June, 2019, consulted on the same day
- McDowell, Edwin (November 19, 1990). "Publishing; Many Houses Find Images Are Blurred". The New York Times.
McDowell, Edwin, "Many Houses Find Images Are Blurred," New York Times, November 19, 1990.