Ward location in the City of Preston district
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
The terms Ashton-on-Ribble and Ashton are often used synonymously, although Ashton is a specific electoral ward whilst Ashton-on-Ribble is a term applied more generally to much of the west of Preston. This is reflected in the fact that Ashton Community Science College and Ashton Park are not in Ashton ward (they are in Larches ward) but are in the suburb of Ashton-on-Ribble.
The Ashton electoral ward is located in the City of Preston, returning two councillors to Town Hall. Ashton ward is also one part of the Preston North West division of Lancashire County Council, returning one Labour councillor to County Hall.
The settlement of Ashton-on-Ribble was recorded in the Domesday Book. Ashton was named after a family called Estun who lived in the area at the time of the Domesday Book's compilation, although it is not known exactly where they lived.
From the census results, 67.8% of the population considered themselves Christian.
A ward in the western part of Preston, Ashton is largely suburban with large houses bordering the renewed Docklands area. Part of the ward is also made up of terraced housing, predominantly between Lane Ends shopping area and Ashton Park. The railway line from Preston railway station to Blackpool North railway station runs through the ward.
Footballer Chris Ward was born in Ashton-on-Ribble.
Actress Maggie Ollerenshaw was born in Ashton-on-Ribble.
- Districts of Preston
- St Andrew's Church, Ashton-on-Ribble
- St Michael and All Angel's Church, Ashton-on-Ribble
- Find Councillor
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Ashton 2011 Census Ward (1237324272)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 10 March 2018.
- County Councillors by Local Community
- Lancashire County Council: Elections: Preston North West - Divisional result
- "The Domesday Book Index". Haughton.net. Archived from the original on 2011-07-23. Retrieved 2007-11-04.
- A History of the parish of Preston in Amounderness in the county of Lancaster, Fishwick, Henry.(1900)
- Office for National Statistics: Area: Ashton (Ward): Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics
- Office for National Statistics
- Preston City Council Archived May 14, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Office for National Statistics: Area: Ashton (Ward): Religion, 2011 (KS209EW)
- "Star Wars actor taken ill on plane". Lancashire Evening Post. Retrieved 26 June 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashton-on-Ribble.|