|Birth name||Ashwini Govind Bhide|
|Born||7 October 1960|
|Genres||Khayal, Bhajans, Thumris|
|Occupation(s)||Hindustani classical vocalist|
Ashwini Bhide-Deshpande (born 7 October 1960) is a Hindustani classical music vocalist from Mumbai. She pursues the Jaipur-Atrauli gharana, although she has also been influenced by the Mewati and Patiala gharanas.
Early life and training
Born in Mumbai into a family with strong musical traditions, Ashwini started her early classical training under the guidance of Narayanrao Datar. She then completed her Sangeet Visharad from the Gandharva Mahavidyalaya. Since then, she has been learning music in the Jaipur-Atrauli style from her mother Manik Bhide. Ashwini also received guidance from Ratnakar Pai until his death in 2009.
Bhide-Deshpande holds a Masters degree in Microbiology and earned a doctorate in Biochemistry from Bhabha Atomic Research Centre, a Sangeet Visharad from the Akhil Bharatiya Gandharva Mahavidyalaya Mandal and a Masters degree in music.
It was not until she completed her doctorate that Ashwini even considered a professional career in music. Her 'Jasrangi Jugalbandi concerts' with Sanjeev Abhyankar received a mixed response from the audience.
Because of her influences from the Jaipur-Atrauli, Mewati and Patiala gharanas, Ashwini has created her own musical style. She holds a strong command over the three primary saptaks.
Bhide-Deshpande has an intimate understanding of Bandish and bandish-composition and has created many of her own bandishes, which she has published in her book, Raag Rachananjali (2004). A sequel titled "Ragarachananjali 2", containing 98 more bandishes (compositions) was published in 2010. She is also known for her setting of bhajans, especially those of Kabir.
Ashwini Bhide is not only a music scholar but is also blessed with a beautiful voice. I have personally known Ashwini since her early teens and it makes me so happy to see her blossom into such a wonderful Khayal singer. She has earned the reputation of being one of the top young artists of India... Having learnt many old compositions, she has been able to retain the spirit of the tradition through the dialects she has used as well as pay attention to the subject matter!
- Introducing Ashwini Bhide (1985) - Raag Yaman, Raag Tilak Kamod, Bhajan
- Rhythm House Classics (1987) - Raag Puriya Dhanashri, Raag Bhoop, Bhajan
- Ashwini Bhide Sings (1988) - Raag Kedar, Raag Khambavati, Raag Bhoop Nat
- Live for Femina (1989) - Raag Nand, Raag Bageshri
- Morning Ragas Vol. 1 (1990) - Raag Lalit, Raag Vibhas
- Morning Ragas Vol. 2 (1990) - Raag Todi, Raag Kabir Bhairav, Raag Sukhiya Bilawal
- Bhaktimala: Ganesh Vol. 2 (1991) - "Jehi Sumirat Siddhi Hoi," "Jai Shri Shankar Sut Ganesh," "Jai Ganesh Gananath," "Ganapat Vighna Harana"
- Bhaktimala: Shakti Vol. 2 (1991) - "Jwalatkoti Balark," "Tero Chakar Kare Pukar," "Jai Jai Jai Giriraj Kishori," "Main Dharu Tiharo Dhyan"
- Bhaktimala: Krishna Vol. 2 (1991) - "Madhurashtakam," "Mhari Surta Suhagan," "Kaisi Hori Machaiyi," "Sundar Badan Sukh," "Ka Karoon Na Mane"
- Bhaktimala: Namastotram, Ganesh (1991) - Bhajans
- Young Masters (1992) - Raag Bhimpalas, Raag Shuddha Kalyan
- Raag Rang Vol. 1 (1996) - Raag Bihag, Raag Bhinna Shadaj, Bhajan
- Raag Rang Vol. 2 (1996) - Raag Madhuwanti, Raag Jhinjhoti, Raag Jog, Raag Nayaki Kanada
- Pandharpuricha Nila (1998) - Abhangs
- Women Through the Ages - Raag Ahir Bhairav, Raag Jaunpuri, Bhajan
- Krishna (1999) - Raag Jaijaiwanti, Raag Vachaspati, Raag Megh Malhar, Jhoola, Bhajan
- Anandacha Kand (2000) - Abhangs
- Ashwini Bhide-Deshpande Vol. 1 (2000) - Raag Bilaskhani Todi, Raag Gujri Todi, Raag Nat Bhairav
- Ashwini Bhide-Deshpande Vol. 2 (2000) - Raag Rageshri, Raag Durga, Raag Yaman
- Golden Raaga Collection (2000) - Raag Multani, Raag Gaud Malhar, Bhajan
- Swar Utsav (2002) - Raag Jhinjhoti, Raag Nayaki Kanada
- Navagraha Puja (2002) - Bhajans
- Ashwini Bhide-Dehspande - Vocal (2003) - Raag Bageshri, Raag Kedar, Bhajan
- Roop Pahata Lochani (2004) - Abhangs
- Kari Badariya (2005) - Raagas Abhogi and Prateeksha, Jhoola, Dadra
- Sandhya (2006) - Raag Bageshri, Bhajan
- Soordas (2009) - Bhajans
- Unmesh (2010) - Raagas Vibhavati, Puriya Dhanashri, Raag Patdeep, Raag Manikauns
- "'One should not take liberty in the name of novelty'". The Hindu. December 11, 2016.
- "An innovative evening raga". The Telegraph. 27 July 2007.
- Bhide-Deshpande, Ashwini (2004), Raga Rachananjali, Raj Hans Prakashath, pp. Preamble, ISBN 81-7434-296-6
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ashwini Bhide-Deshpande.|