Asia Society (AustralAsia)
Asia Society Australia is Australia’s leading center for engagement with Asia, based in Sydney. Asia Society Australia promotes greater connectivity and deeper understanding between Australia and the Indo-Pacific Asia in the areas of business, policy, culture and education. Asia Society Australia is a nonprofit, non-governmental and non-political social enterprise empowered by the membership of the leading Australian and regional business, education and cultural institutions.
Asia Society Australia was launched in 1997 by then Prime Minister John Howard to broaden interest and understanding in Australia of Asian countries and their politics, business and culture.
Asia Society Australia is part of the global not-for profit education organisation Asia Society, headquartered in New York. Launched in 1997, the Australian Centre of Asia Society carried on the objectives of Asia Society's founder John D Rockefeller III to promoting a stronger Asia-literate world.
Asia Society Australia at a glance
- Hosted 19 heads of state from Asia and Australia since 1997
- Each year convenes over 30 briefings of the highest quality with Australia and Asia’s leading thinkers on policy, business, diplomacy and culture
- Is Australia’s premier ‘think-do tank’ on Asia and the preeminent network of Asia-engaged companies and institutions
Asia Society Australia provides public and private forums for visiting political and business leaders from the Asian region as well as those from within Australia. Some of the distinguished guests include:
- Lee Kuan Yew, then Senior Minister, Republic of Singapore
- H.E. Lee Hsien Loong, Prime Minister of Singapore
- Shinzo Abe, Prime Minister of Japan
- Sam Walsh, CEO, Rio Tinto
- Tony Abbott, then Prime Minister of Australia
- Rupert Murdoch, Chairman & Chief Executive, News Corporation
- Junichiro Koizumi, then Prime Minister of Japan
- Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, President of Indonesia
- Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, then President of the Republic of the Philippines
- Kevin Rudd MP, Prime Minister of Australia
Leaders on Asia provides unique access to high-profile Australian and Asian leaders and foreign dignitaries (including visiting heads of state) who shape the present and future of our region.
Business of Asia features leaders of some of Australia and Asia’s major enterprises, who share original insights on their companies’ successes and challenges in the Asian Century.
Policy Briefings delivered by senior diplomats and experts offer an insider’s perspective on foreign and economic policy issues and relationships that are critically important for Australia.
Forecast Asia presents assessments and interpretations of trends and developments in Asia by leading economists, business, political and social thinkers and visionaries.
Disruptive Asia combines events and online collaborations and resources to examine the transformational impact of Asia’s rise on Australian and the global economy, technology, innovation and society.
Gen A (Young Leaders Circle - to be launched in 2016) is a learning, networking and leadership development platform for the new voices on Australia-Asia engagement, which supports young leaders from our membership network.
Insights presents Asia Society Australia's publications and commentary offering informed, original and multi-dimensional perspectives on some of the key issues facing Australia in the Indo-Pacific century.
Cultural and educational programs: Asia Society Australia partners with Australia’s leading cultural and educational institutions to present a diverse range of Asia-focused programming.