Asia University (Taiwan)
|Motto||健康 · 關懷 · 創新 · 卓越|
Motto in English
|Health, Care, Innovation, Excellence|
|President||Jeffrey J.P. Tsai, Ph. D.|
|Website||asia.edu.tw (in Chinese) asia.edu.tw (in English)|
Asia University (AU; Chinese: 亞洲大學) is a university located in Wufeng District, Taichung, Taiwan. Founded in 2001, it offers subjects in health and medical science, computer science and electrical engineering, creative design, management, and humanities and social sciences.
AU was ranked 83rd in the 2014 THE (Times Higher Education) ranking of the 100 best universities in Asia. It was also ranked the 99th in the 2014 THE ranking of the 100 best universities around the world under 50 years. Furthermore, AU was ranked 53rd in 2014 THE BRICS and Emerging Economies Ranking of Universities in the world.
In addition, AU was one of the top universities in Taiwan with outstanding teaching achievements according to the MOE (Ministry of Education, Taiwan) evaluation, having been granted consecutively for 11 years Projects of Teaching Excellency Promotion by the MOE. It is also evaluated by the famous Cheers magazine as the 2nd in the top 20 universities in school-running progress in Taiwan.
- 1 History
- 2 Faculties
- 3 World Ranking of Asia University (AU)
- 4 Notable Faculty and Honoris Causa Laureates |
- 5 International Focus
- 6 Museum
- 7 See also
- 8 References
Asia University (AU), initially with the name of Taichung Healthcare and Management College, was founded in August 2001 in Wufeng, Taichung, Taiwan by Dr. Chang-Hai Tsai, a medical professional and scholar, and Mr. Tseng-lien Lin, an entrepreneur in construction industry, with the goal of cultivating professionals in the fields of health science, computer Science, management, arts and design, and social science and humanities. The founders believed that these professionals will expand the horizon of our national development.
After four years of hard works in school running, the school was promoted to the university level and renamed as Asia University since August 1, 2005, as approved by the Ministry of Education. Afterwards, Asia University has achieved many honors, including being evaluated to be the best new university in 2005, being granted honored projects of teaching excellency promotion for more than 10 years, and being approved to establish five Ph. D. degree programs, all officially by the Ministry of Education. More than sixty outstanding full professors joined Asia University in the first five years like a miracle because of the university reputation. The university has also established an incomparable elegant and artistic campus with an art museum designed by the world-renowned architect Tadao Ando, which becomes a landmark in middle Taiwan.
In the future, the university will try her best to advance its school affairs in teaching and research, hoping the school will become a globally-known university eventually.
College of Information and Electrical Engineering
- Department of Biomedical Informatics
- Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering
- Department of M-Commerce and Multimedia Applications
- Department of Photonics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Information Communication
College of Management
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of International Business
- Department of Leisure and Recreation Management
- Department of Accounting and Information Systems
- Department of Finance
- Department of Financial and Economic Law
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Foreign Languages and Literature
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Early Childhood Education
College of Creative Design
- Department of Digital Media Design
- Department of Visual Communication Design
- Department of Creative Product Design
- Department of Fashion Design
- Department of Interior Design
- International Degree Program of Design
College of International and Cross-Strait Education
- Degree Programs
- Center for International Academic Exchange
- Center for Cross-straight Exchange
World Ranking of Asia University (AU)
- AU is ranked the 670th in 2015 THE (Times Higher Education) Ranking of 800 Best Universities in the World
- AU is ranked the 83th in 2014 THE (Times Higher Education) Ranking of 100 Best Asia Universities
- AU is ranked the 86th in 2015 THE (Times Higher Education) BRICS & Emerging Economies Ranking of Universities in the World
- AU is ranked the 99th in 2013 THE (Times Higher Education) Ranking of 100 Best Universities under 50 Years in the World
- AU is ranked the 28th in 2014 iF Ranking of World Universities in Their Achievements of Winning the iF Design Awards
- AU is ranked within the first 1000 universities in 2015 Webometrics Ranking of World Universities
- AU is ranked the 65th in 2014 UI GreenMetric World University Ranking
- AU is ranked the 981th in the world in 2014-2015 URAP (University Ranking by Academic Performance)
- Ferid Murad, Nobel Laureate of Physiology and Medicine
- C. V. Ramamoorthy, Professor Emeritus of Computer Science at University of California at Berkeley.
- Carl W. Cotman, Director at Institute for Brain Aging and Dementia, University of California at Irvine.
- Amir Pnueli, recipient of the ACM Turing award
- Stephen A. Szygenda, Southern Methodist University
- Steven S. Yau, President, IEEE Computer Society
- Wai-Kai Chen, President of IEEE Circuit and Systems Society and Recipient of Baker Fund Award
- Shi-Kuo Chang, Founder of Knowledge Systems Institutes
- Benjamin Wah, President of 2001 IEEE Computer Society
- Wai-lim Yip, Chair Professor in Department of English, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Eng-Rin Chen, Deputy Minister of Department of Health, Executive Yuan, R.O.C.
- Gene Sheu, Former CEO FIC and AVP AT&T, Asia-Pacific Region.
- Ifrim Chen Feng, Dean of College of Medicine and Pharmacy, Univ. of Oradea, Romania
- Jean-Claude Latombe, Kumagai Professor Emeritus of Computer Science at Stanford University.
- Lotfi A. Zadeh, Professor of Computer Science at University of California at Berkeley.
- Raymond T. Yeh, Chairman of Computer Science, University of Texas at Austin, University of Maryland at College Park.
- Mien-Chie Hung, Vice President for Basic Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX.
- Sartaj Sahni, Distinguished Professor at the University of Florida, Honorary Professor Award 2009.
On July 4, 2007, Asia University welcomed the first group of American students to participate in Asia University's first annual Elite American Youth Leader program. The program was created to foster a positive international climate in Wufong. 26 American students from Harvard University, California State University San Bernardino, Boston College, the University of South Carolina, Indiana University, Nicholls State University, and the University of Hawaii Hilo joined the program to study Mandarin, Taiwan's Medium & Small Enterprises, High-Tech Industry, and Societies & Cultures. The program - declared successful - will continue annually.| Subsequent groups have included students from Spain, Dubai, and Iran. Other universities participating in the program have included Nicholls State University and University of Wisconsin–Stout. Currently, More than 250 international students from over 20 countries are studying in Asia University.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Asia University (Taiwan).|
- "Motto & Insignia (in Chinese)". Asia U. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- "Motto & Insignia". Asia U. Retrieved 2014-10-17.
- "Times Higher Education". timeshighereducation.co.uk. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "Times Higher Education: 100 Under 50 years". timeshighereducation.co.uk. Times Higher Education. Retrieved 4 January 2015.
- "THE BRICS and Emerging Economies Ranking of Universities in the world". timeshighereducation.co.uk. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- "Asia University Strengths". asia.edu.tw/EN/index.php. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- "Asia University in Top 20 best school-running universities in Taiwan". asia.edu.tw/EN/index.php. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- Distinguished Professor and Chair Sartaj Sahni receives the Honorary Professor Award from Asia University, Taiwan, Univ. of Florida, CISE, June 9, 2009. Accessed 2011-10-10.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-02-01. Retrieved 2016-01-26.