|Comune di Asiago|
|• Mayor||Roberto Rigoni Stern|
|• Total||162 km2 (63 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,001 m (3,284 ft)|
(31 December 2014)
|• Density||40/km2 (100/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Asiaghesi / Slegar|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Matthew|
|Saint day||21 September|
Asiago (Italian: [aˈzjaːɡo]; Venetian: Axiago, Cimbrian: Slege, German: Schlägen [ˈʃlɛːɡn̩]) is a minor township (population roughly 6,500) in the surrounding plateau region (the Altopiano di Asiago or Altopiano dei Sette Comuni, Asiago plateau) in the Province of Vicenza in the Veneto region of Northeastern Italy. It is near the border between the Veneto and Trentino-Alto Adige/Südtirol regions in the foothills of the Alps, and about equidistant (60 km) from the major cities of Trento to the west and Vicenza to the south. The Asiago region is the origin of Asiago cheese. The town was the site of a major battle between Austrian and Italian forces on the Alpine Front of World War I. It is a major ski resort destination as well as the site of the Astrophysical Observatory of Asiago, operated by the University of Padua.
|Climate data for Asiago, Italy|
|Average high °C (°F)||6.2
|Average low °C (°F)||−1.8
|Average rainfall mm (inches)||83.82
|Source: Weather.com, Asiago|
Battle of Asiago
The Battle of Asiago (Battle of the Plateaux) was a counter-offensive launched by the Austro-Hungarians on the Italian Front in May 1916, during World War I. It was an unexpected attack that took place near Asiago (now in northeast Italy, then on the Italian side of the border between the Kingdom of Italy and Austria-Hungary). Commemorating this battle and the fallen soldiers of World War I is the Asiago War Memorial, a monument and museum that is a popular site for visitors to the area.
Ernest Hemingway fought here. In a later engagement in 1918, Edward Brittain, brother of Vera Brittain, was killed and was buried in the Granezza British military cemetery on the plateau. In 1970 Vera's ashes were scattered on his grave.
- Enrico Fabris, long track speed skater who has won three World Cup races.
- Ivan Lunardi, one of the best Italian ski jumpers in history.
- Aldo Stella, ski mountaineer and cross-country skier.
- Lucio Topatigh, Italian ice hockey legend.
- Nicola Tumolero, European champion speed skater.
The Asiago Award
The Asiago Award is known as the Oscar of the Philatelic World. Since 1970 the "Circolo Filatelico Numismatico Sette Comuni Asiago" (Numismatic and Philatelic Chapter of the Seven Asiago Communities) has been awarding the prize for the best designed postage stamp of the year.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics from the Italian statistical institute (Istat)
- "weather.com". Retrieved June 15, 2018.
- "Sacrario militare di Asiago-Leiten e museo del Sacrario" (in Italian). Itinerari della Grande Guerra. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- Dictionary of Scottish Architects: Robert Lorimer
- Official site (in Italian)
- Asiago plateau (in Italian, English, and German)
- Asiago7Comuni news and general information (in Italian)
- General information (in English)
- Battle of Asiago (in English)
- Astrophysical Observatory of Asiago (in English)
- Asiago on The Campanile Project
- 47th Asiago International Prize for Philatelic Art (in Italian)