|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|86,000 (2011 Census)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|Greater Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee|
|Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism|
|Related ethnic groups|
Asian-Scots or Scottish Asians is a term used for people of South Asian ancestry who were born and/or raised in Scotland. Their parents or grandparents are normally South Asia immigrants. Many of them are academics, doctors, business owners and/or engineers.
In British usage, the term does not include East Asians, who are known by their respective national origins (e.g. Chinese, Japanese, Malaysians and others) or under the umbrella term "Oriental". It also does not include western Asians, such as Turks.
|Historical Asian-Scottish population|
Scotland's South Asian population of more than 90,000 is mostly of Hindu, Sikh and Muslim origin mostly from India and Pakistan and are concentrated around the urban areas, such as Greater Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee. However, there are Asian communities in places as small as Stornoway and as far north as Aberdeen.
- Dundee - 4,000 Asians (especially the Hilltown and Stobswell)
- Edinburgh - 26,264 Asians
- Glasgow (and surrounding Greater Glasgow area) - 65,000 Asians (especially Pollokshields, Pollokshaws, Govanhill, Newton Mearns, Bearsden, East Kilbride and Woodlands)
Notable Scottish Asians
- Danny Bhoy
- Ali Abbasi
- Bashir Ahmad - SNP politician who in 2007 became the first MSP to be elected from an Asian-Scots background.
- Aamer Anwar, human rights lawyer
- Majid Haq, Cricket Scotland
- Omer Hussain, Cricket Scotland
- Hardeep Singh Kohli
- Sanjeev Kohli - TV presenter and property owner
- Bashir Maan
- Vishal Marwaha
- Aasmah Mir
- Shereen Nanjiani
- Robina Qureshi
- Misbah Rana
- Suhayl Saadi, writer
- Humza Yousaf - SNP MSP for the Glasgow region, Minister for Europe and International Development. The first Scots-Asian born in Scotland to become an MSP.
- Anas Sarwar - Labour MP for Glasgow Central
- Mohammed Sarwar - Former Labour MP
- Mamta Singhal, Winner of The Women Engineering Society Prize - Young Women Engineer of the Year 2007. Top four finalist for Global MBA student of the Year 2008.
- Hanzala Malik - Labour MSP for the Glasgow region. The first Scots-Asian MSP from the Labour party.
- Aneela Rahman
- Claude Moraes
- Angela Malik
- Demographics of Scotland
- Hinduism in Scotland
- Islam in Scotland
- Sikhism in Scotland
- Scottish people
- British Asian
- New Scots