Type of site
|News & blogging|
|Headquarters||Colston Tower, Colston Street, Bristol|
|Owner||Hybrid (media company)|
|Created by||James Craven (Managing Director)|
|Launched||19 October 2009|
Asian Correspondent is an English language news website launched in October 2009 by Hybrid (media company) that combines articles by professional journalists, bloggers and news wire content in one website. Asian Correspondent is the online partner for the Associated Press in Asia and provides breaking news, opinion pieces, and analysis for the Asia-Pacific region.
Asian Correspondent is a combination of news stories, analysis, and blog content, a format which has earned the website comparisons to the Huffington Post. The site is divided in sections including News, Politics, Education, Media, Environment, Culture, Travel, and Technology.
Less than a year after its creation, in May 2010, Asian Correspondent hit the millionth visitor mark,
In the media
Asian Correspondent is often quoted in other media. Qz.com has cited its content on multiple occasions, most recently in May 2014 for its coverage of the military coup in Thailand, as well as in July 2013 for a story about bitcoin.
- "Asian Correspondent taps into region's blogosphere to fill foreign newshole". Online Journalism Blog. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "AsianCorrespondent.com to build far-east foreign reporting collective". 22 October 2009. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Asian Correspondent set to hit one million monthly unique user mark". 17 May 2010. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "How to follow Thailand's 12th coup as it happens". Quartz.com. 22 May 2014. Retrieved 6 May 2014.
- "Thailand's infamous bitcoin crackdown is not quite what it seems". Quartz.com. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 6 May 2014.