Asian Pacific American Heritage Month
|Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month|
|Observed by||United States|
Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (APAHM), now officially proclaimed Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month, takes place in May. It celebrates the culture, traditions, and history of Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders in the United States.
In June 1977 Reps. Frank Horton of New York and Norman Y. Mineta of California introduced a United States House of Representatives resolution to proclaim the first ten days of May as Asian-Pacific Heritage Week. A similar bill was introduced in the Senate a month later by Daniel Inouye and Spark Matsunaga. "The month of May was chosen to commemorate the immigration of the first Japanese to the United States on May 7, 1843, and to mark the anniversary of the completion of the transcontinental railroad on May 10, 1869. The majority of the workers who laid the tracks were Chinese immigrants." President Jimmy Carter signed a joint resolution for the celebration on October 5, 1978.
In 1990, George H.W. Bush signed a bill passed by Congress to extend Asian-American Heritage Week to a month; May was officially designated as Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month two years later. On May 1, 2009 President Obama issued a Presidential Proclamation which recalls the challenges faced by Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders and celebrates their great and significant contributions to our society.
During APAHM, communities celebrate the achievements and contributions of Asian and Pacific Americans with community festivals, government-sponsored activities and educational activities for students.
- National Queer and Asian Conference, first begun 2007
Northeast and East:
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Annual Gala hosted by the A sian Pacific American Institute for Congressional Studies in Washington, D.C.
- Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month at Altoona, PA's Penn State campus, first begun 2010
- Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month at Waltham, MA's Brandeis University campus, first became a month-long celebration in 2002
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Festival in New York, New York, first begun 1981
- Silk Screen Asian American Film Festival in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, first begun 2005
- Asian-Pacific Islander Heritage Month at Portland, Oregon's Lan Su Chinese Garden
- Asian Cultural Festival of San Diego, first begun 2009
- The Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival, first begun in 1983
- Pacific Rim Street Fest in Sacramento, California, first begun in 1992
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Festival at the Oakland Asian Cultural Center in Chinatown, Oakland, California
- Asian Heritage Street Celebration in San Francisco, California
- Asian Pacific Islander Festival in Seattle, Washington
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month at Seattle, Washington's Wing Luke Asian Museum
South and Southeast:
- Asian Kaleidoscope Month at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida
- Asian Awareness Month at Florida State University in Tallahassee, Florida
- Asian Festival in Dallas, Texas, first begun 1990
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Festival in Houston, Texas
- Asian Pacific American Heritage Month Celebration at the University of Illinois's Urbana-Champaign campus
- [http:// Asian Festival, Columbus, www.asian-festival.org] in Columbus, Ohio, first begun in 1995 grown to be the largest Asian Festival in the Midwest with Fourteen ethnicity participation
- Cleveland Asian Festival in Cleveland, Ohio, first begun in 2010
- Other history months
- Filipino American History Month
- Black History Month
- African-American Music Appreciation Month
- Women's History Month
- LGBT History Month
- Heritage months
- Irish-American Heritage Month
- Jewish American Heritage Month
- National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Puerto Rican Heritage Month
- National Tibetan American Heritage Month
- Native American Indian Heritage Month
- Gay and Lesbian Pride Month
- Black Awareness Day, Brazil
- "About - Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month". asianpacificheritage.gov. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Joint Resolution: Authorizing and requesting the President to proclaim the 7-day period beginning on May 4, 1979 as "Asian/Pacific American Heritage Week"" (PDF). Library of Congress. 5 October 1978. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- Pub.L. 95–419
- Pub.L. 102–450
- "Chinese Railroad Workers in North America Project". web.stanford.edu. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- Pub.L. 101–283
- "Joint Resolution: To designate May 1991 and May 1992 as "Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month"" (PDF). Library of Congress. 14 May 1991. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month | Law Library of Congress". www.loc.gov. 2012-04-01. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month". Law Library of Congress. Archived from the original on 6 October 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-07.
- "An Act: To designate May of each year as"Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month"" (PDF). Library of Congress. 23 October 1992. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Presidential Proclamation 8369 of May 1, 2009" (PDF).
- "Celebrate APA Heritage Month : Asian-Nation :: Asian American History, Demographics, & Issues". www.asian-nation.org. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "アリシアクリニック【口コミ・評判まとめ】". www.calqacon.com. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Festival". www.capaonline.org. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Sample Page". Silk Screen. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month | Lan Su Chinese Garden". www.lansugarden.org. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Asian Cultural Festival San Diego". www.asianculturalfestivalsd.com. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Home". Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Welcome to the 2015 Pacific Rim Street Festival Site!". www.pacificrimstreetfest.com. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Festivals and Events | Oakland Asian Cultural Center". oacc.cc. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Asian Heritage Street Celebration". www.asianfairsf.com. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Live At Seattle Center". www.seattlecenter.com. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Home > Wing Luke Museum". www.wingluke.org. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "Index of /". ufakmonth.com. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- Government, Student. "Asian American Student Union". sga.fsu.edu. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "asian-festival-2015". asian-festival-2015. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "APAHA - Programs". www.apaha.org. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "AAPI Heritage Month Celebration | Asian American Cultural Center, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign". oiir.illinois.edu. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "2017 Columbus Asian Festival | Dragon Boat, May 21, 2017, Asian Festival May 27, 10am to 7pm and May 28, 10am-6pm on 1755 E Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio, FREE Admission, FREE Parking, Free Health Screenings, Pets with organizer permission.". asian-festival.org. Retrieved 2016-10-26.
- "2016 Cleveland Asian Festival | May 21–22, 11am to 7pm on Payne Ave. between E. 30th St & E. 27th St, FREE Admission, FREE Parking, No Pets.". clevelandasianfestival.org. Retrieved 2016-02-02.
- "2014 | Taiwanese American Cultural Festival". tacf.tacl.org. Retrieved 2016-02-02.