Asian Sevens Series
|Most recent season or competition:|
2018 Asia Rugby Sevens Series
|No. of teams||12|
|Most titles||Japan (6 titles)|
The Asian Sevens Series is an annual series of regional rugby sevens tournaments run by Asia Rugby featuring national sevens teams. It has been held regularly since 2009 to determine Asia's best men's national team in the sport of rugby sevens.
The first season of the competition began in 2009 with two events happening in Shanghai and Borneo. In the first season, Japan took out the trophy after taking out the Borneo Sevens and finishing runner up in Shanghai.
Tournaments that have featured as ranking events in the Asian Sevens Series include:
|2009||Shanghai||Borneo||Colombo a||2 b|
|2011||Shanghai||Goa a||Borneo||Bangkok a||2|
|2013||Mumbai||Kuala Lumpur||Singapore||Bang Saen||4|
|2014||Beijing||Hong Kong||Kuala Lumpur||3|
^a Italics denotes tournaments that are non-ranking events not counting towards the annual series championship.
^c It was originally planned to use the 2015 Asian Sevens Series as the qualifier for the 2016 Olympics but the series clashed with the 2015 Rugby World Cup hosted in England so a separate Asian Olympic qualifying tournament was held with the final stage hosted in Hong Kong.
- By year
|2014||Hong Kong||South Korea|||
|2016||Hong Kong||Sri Lanka|
- Series titles
- Boost for Hong Kong rugby’s Olympics hopes as city to host Asian qualifiers for Rio
- Japan win Borneo Sevens to top Asian Rugby Sevens Series table for 2009 Archived 2015-04-12 at the Wayback Machine. ARFU. 1 November 2009.
- "Korea retain Shanghai Sevens crown". Ultimate Rugby 7s. 6 September 2010. Archived from the original on 11 July 2015. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- "Borneo 7s: Hong Kong Win Thrilling Final". Asia Rugby. 31 October 2010. Archived from the original on 11 July 2015. Retrieved 11 July 2015.
- Japan crowned Asian Number one after winning Borneo Sevens Archived 2015-04-13 at the Wayback Machine. Asian 5 Nations. 2011.
- Hong Kong win Mumbai 7s to take Asian Series. Ultimate Rugby 7s. 15 October 2012.
- Japan beat Hong Kong in Singapore final to seal Asian Rugby Sevens Series title. Ultimate Rugby 7s. 11 November 2013.
- Rugby: Hong Kong bag Beijing leg to secure Asian Sevens Series. Sport Asia. 19 October 2014.
- "Japan secure double delight with victories in Colombo on Asian Sevens Series". Ultimate Rugby 7s. 12 October 2015. Archived from the original on 9 December 2015. Retrieved 9 December 2015.
- "Japan complete clean sweep in Asia Sevens Series". World Rugby. 15 October 2018. Archived from the original on 15 October 2018. Retrieved 26 October 2018.