Asian Society of International Law
The Asian Society of International Law (AsianSIL) is a region-wide forum for interaction among scholars and practitioners of public and private international law either based in or interested in Asia. It was established in April 2007 at an inaugural meeting at the National University of Singapore.
The Society is an international non-partisan, non-profit, and non-governmental organization with the following objectives:
- To promote research, education and practice of international law by serving as a centre of activities among international law scholars and practitioners in Asia and elsewhere, in a spirit of partnership with other relevant international, regional and national societies and organizations;
- To foster and encourage Asian perspectives of international law; and
- To promote awareness of and respect for international law in Asia.
The first president of the Society (2007-2009) was Hisashi Owada, former President of the International Court of Justice. He was succeeded by Xue Hanqin (2009-2011), V.S. Mani (2011-2013), and Surakiart Sathirathai (2013-2015). The current president of the Society is Jin-Hyun Paik.
|S/N||President||Country||Term of office|
|5.||PAIK Jin-Hyun||South Korea||2015-|
The Society organizes major conferences every two years. Meetings have thus far been held in:
- Singapore (2007)
- Tokyo (2009)
- Beijing (2011)
- New Delhi (2013)
- Bangkok (to take place in November 2015)
- AsianSIL President's Welcome
- https://web.archive.org/web/20100202031703/http://www.wwlegal.com/Article717.html. Archived from the original on 2 February 2010. Retrieved 3 June 2010. Missing or empty
- Speech by George Yeo, Minister for Foreign Affairs, at the Opening Dinner of the Inaugural Conference of the Asian Society of International Law on 7 April 2007
- Constitution of the Asian Society of International Law, art 2.
- "Current Members | International Court of Justice". Icj-cij.org. Retrieved 2012-12-04.
- "President's Welcome-- Asian Society of International Law". Retrieved 25 February 2016.
- AsianSIL Governing Bodies
- Asian Journal of International Law.