Asian Winter Games
|Asian Winter Games (AWG)|
Official logo of the Games
|First event||1986 Asian Winter Games in Sapporo, Japan|
|Occur every||Four years|
|Last event||2017 Asian Winter Games in Sapporo, Japan|
|Purpose||Multi-sport event for nations on the Asian continent|
The Asian Winter Games (AWG) is an international multi-sport event held every four years for members of the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) which features winter events. The Japanese Olympic Committee first suggested the idea of holding a winter version of the Asian Games in 1982. Their efforts were rewarded when they were finally given hosting rights for the first edition that was held in Sapporo in 1986, as the city had the infrastructure and expertise gained from hosting of the 1972 Winter Olympics.
From having only seven member nations of the Olympic Council of Asia taking part in the first edition, the number of nations competing in the Winter Asiad has consistently grown. In the 2007 Asian Winter Games in Changchun, 27 out of the 45 members fielded a record number of competitors, while all 45 NOCs sent delegations for the first time ever in Winter Asian history.
List of Asian Winter Games
|Edition||Year||Host City||Host Nation||Start Date||End Date||Nations||Competitors||Sports||Events||Top Placed Team||Ref.|
|I||1986||Sapporo||Japan||1 March||8 March||7||293||4||35||Japan (JPN)|||
|II||1990||Sapporo||Japan||9 March||14 March||9||310||4||33||Japan (JPN)|||
|III||1996||Harbin||China||4 February||11 February||17||453||4||43||China (CHN)|||
|IV||1999||Gangwon||South Korea||30 January||6 February||14||798||4||43||China (CHN)|||
|V||2003||Aomori||Japan||1 February||8 February||17||641||5||51||Japan (JPN)|||
|VI||2007||Changchun||China||28 January||4 February||25||796||5||47||China (CHN)|||
|VII||2011||Astana‒Almaty||Kazakhstan||30 January||6 February||26||843||5||69||Kazakhstan (KAZ)|||
|VIII||2017||Sapporo||Japan||19 February||26 February||32||1,147||5||64||Japan (JPN)|||
|IX||2021||Election in Ashgabat 2017||Future event|
- For the 2017 Games, the Olympic Council of Asia invited athletes from the Oceania region. Two countries are scheduled to participate from the region (Australia and New Zealand), along with 30 NOCs from Asia.
|4||South Korea (KOR)||74||83||92||249|
|5||North Korea (PRK)||1||4||12||17|
- "1st AWG Sapporo 1986". OCA. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- "2nd AWG Sapporo 1990". OCA. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- "3rd AWG Harbin 1996". OCA. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- "4th AWG Gangwon 1999". OCA. Retrieved 22 July 2010.
- "5th AWG Aomori 2003". OCA. Retrieved 1 February 2003.
- "6th AWG Changchun 2007". OCA. Retrieved 28 January 2007.
- "7th AWG Astana-Almaty 2011". OCA. Retrieved 30 January 2011.
- 2017 Asian Winter Games Medal Standings Archived 2017-02-22 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Australia to send 34 athletes to OCA's 8th Asian Winter Games Sapporo 2017". www.aroundtherings.com/. Around the Rings. 14 November 2016. Retrieved 14 November 2016.