Asit Kumar Banerjee
|Asit Kumar Banerjee|
Asit Kumar Banerjee is one of the few remaining rudra veena players in India. He is the disciple of Zia Mohiuddin Dagar, and can play both Sitar and rudra veena. He was the head of the Department of Instrumental Music in The Anand Foundation, Punjab, and has performed many rudra veena concerts both in India and abroad.
Asit Kumar Banerjee started learning Tabla at the age of six. His earliest master was V.C. Ambedkar of Benares gharana, and continued his lessons with Amir Hussain Khan of Mumbai. Later he became the student of Zia Mohiuddin Dagar and learnt Sitar, Surbahar and rudra veena. He received training also from Fariuddin Dagar, of Dagar Gharana. Asit Banerjee prefers dhrupad style of playing.
He is a member of East Zone Cultural Centre (E.Z.C.C.) and Indian Council for Cultural Relations (I.C.C.R.), an organization under the Ministry of External Affairs (India). Through his tours in India and abroad, he has tried to popularize the rudra veena by lecture-demonstrations and recordings for Television and Radio.
He was the music director for two documentary films about Sikh Regiments and about Ganges. He has worked as the head of the department of instrumental music in The Anand Foundation, Punjab. He also carry the title of Pramukh Acharya of Tansen Sangeet Vidyapith, Gwalior. Between 1986 and 1989 he has performed rudra veena in Doordarshan, together with his students.
He is married to Arati Banerjee, and she is also a rudra veena player. She has performed together with Asit Kumar Banerjee in many concerts.
- "Sangeet Swarn: A golden chance for music lovers". Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "On man-making mission and more". Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "Rashtriya Dhrupad Samaroh,2013". Archived from the original on 2014-06-06. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "asit kumar banerjee performing at Dhrupad Mela, 2012, Varanasi". Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "About Asit Kumar Banerjee". Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "Akademi Golden Jubilee Music Festival 2003 Hyderabad". Archived from the original on 2014-06-06. Retrieved 2014-06-03.
- "Performances". Retrieved 2014-06-03.