Screenshot of Ask Ubuntu, December 2013
|Type of site||Question & Answer|
|Owner||Stack Exchange, Inc.|
|Registration||Optional; Uses OpenID|
Members gain reputation based on the community's response (through voting) to their questions and answers. Reputation signifies trust for users in the answers they give. Privileges are given based on reputation levels, with users with the highest reputation having similar privileges to moderators.
The site came out of public beta on 10 October 2010, launching alongside Ubuntu 10.10.
Ask Ubuntu came into existence as a "Proposed Q&A site for Ubuntu users and developers" on the Stack Exchange Area 51. With other Internet users supporting the proposal of the site through "commitment", Stack Exchange chose to launch Ask Ubuntu in private beta. Eventually, the site came out of public beta with the name Ask Ubuntu, which was chosen through a community voting process, and was launched alongside Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat in October 2010.
Ask Ubuntu has received help from Canonical Ltd, which has allowed the site to use their trademark. Canonical Ltd has also helped in the designing of the site, ensuring that Ask Ubuntu's theme follows the Ubuntu brand guidelines.
The website allows the users to ask and answer questions. The users are given the ability to vote the questions and answers up or down. They can also earn reputation points and "badges" for their various contributions to the site. For example, a person is rewarded with 10 reputation points if their answer for a question receives an "up" vote.
All users can submit edits to the questions and answers in a wiki style, with having their suggested edits go through a peer review process. Users with 2,000 reputation points or more can edit the questions and answers directly, without having their edits go through a similar peer review process. Some posts are designated as "community wiki", which have a lower reputation requirement for editing.
- "Statistics from Alexa". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Ask Ubuntu - About
- "Frequently Asked Questions". Ask Ubuntu. Archived from the original on 17 October 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Humphrey, Benjamin (October 2010). ""Ask Ubuntu" Stack Exchange site out of beta, new awesome domain". OMG! Ubuntu!. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Users". Stack Exchange. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Questions". Ask Ubuntu. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Sneddon, Joey (July 2010). "Vote now for an awesome new Ubuntu help platform". OMG! Ubuntu!. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Stack Exchange - Ubuntu Proposed Q&A site for ubuntu users and developers
- "Merging Season". Stack Overflow. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Unix and Ubuntu: Why Both?". Stack Overflow. Archived from the original on 26 October 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Fork it!". Stack Overflow. Archived from the original on 4 November 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- Canonical Design - This week in design – 8 October 2010
- "FAQ: What is Reputation?". Stack Overflow. Archived from the original on 17 October 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Privileges". Ask Ubuntu. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Stack Overflow Chat Now Live". Stack Overflow. Retrieved 28 August 2016.