|Alma mater||Maastricht University|
|Awards||Danone Chair in Nutrition at the Free University of Brussels (2005)|
|Fields||Sports Nutritionist, Exercise Physiologist|
Asker Jeukendrup is a sports nutrition scientist and an Ironman triathlete.
Following an MSc in Human Movement Sciences at Maastricht University in the Netherlands he completed his PhD in 1997 at the same university studying aspects of carbohydrate and fat metabolism during exercise. After postdoctoral research at the University of Texas in Austin, Jeukendrup became the youngest professor at the University of Birmingham at the age of 35. He was a Professor of Exercise Metabolism at the University of Birmingham for over 12 years. He also served as a Director of the Human Performance Lab at the same university. Jeukendrup has authored several books on sports nutrition and over 200 peer reviewed journal articles on exercise and sports nutrition.
His research interests include metabolic responses to exercise, regulation of carbohydrate and fat metabolism, sports nutrition, gastrointestinal complaints during exercise, training and over-training. He is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, a member of the New York Academy of Sciences, the Nutrition Society, the Physiological Society, the Biochemical Society, the American Diabetes Association and the European College of Sport Sciences.
In June 2011, Jeukendrup was named Global Senior Director of the Gatorade Sports Science Institute (GSSI) at PepsiCo. In addition to leading GSSI, he remains an adjunct professor at the University of Birmingham.
Sporting Competitions Highlights
Professor Jeukendrup has competed in 21 Ironman races, including 6 Ironman Hawaii triathlons. He won the Golden Gate Headlands Marathon in 2006 (3:22:48) and competed at the European and World Championships duathlons.
- Haile Gebrselassie - Ethiopian long-distance track and road running athlete, Olympic gold medalist.
- Chrissie Wellington - English triathlete holder of three world and championship records relating to ironman-distance triathlon races.
- Chelsea Football Club
- UK Athletics
- British Olympic Association
- Rabobank cycling team - a professional bicycle racing team, sponsored by the Rabobank.
- "Prof Asker Jeukendrup - School of Sport and Exercise Sciences - University of Birmingham". Birmingham.ac.uk. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "Profile Asker Jeukendrup". Askerjeukendrup.com. 2004-01-01. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "Focus your training and find room for improvement | TrainingPeaks". Home.trainingpeaks.com. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "JEUKENDRUP Asker E. : World Who's Who". Worldwhoswho.com. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "Ironman Athlete Named Global Director Of Gatorade Sports Science Institute" (Press release). Triathlon.competitor.com. 2011-06-14. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- Dr. Asker Jeukendrup. "GSSI". Gssiweb.com. Archived from the original on 22 June 2011. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "Search Sacramento Area Running Results - Zinsli". Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- "researchers". Nutrifit.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-07-29.
- Asker Jeukendrup, Michael Gleeson. Sport Nutrition eBook-2nd Edition. Human Kinetics. pp. 1–. ISBN 978-0-7360-8715-5. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- Asker E. Jeukendrup (2002). High-performance cycling. Human Kinetics. pp. 1–. ISBN 978-0-7360-4021-1. Retrieved 28 July 2011.
- "Profile Asker Jeukendrup". Askerjeukendrup.com. 2004-01-01. Retrieved 2011-09-09.
- Don MacLaren; British Association of Sport and Medicine (2007). Nutrition and sport. Elsevier Health Sciences. pp. 8–. ISBN 978-0-443-10341-4. Retrieved 30 July 2011.