|Birth name||Heather Mitchell|
September 21, 1980 |
|Origin||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Instruments||vocals, piano, keyboards|
|Associated acts||Kalen Nash|
Heather "Aslyn" Mitchell Nash (born September 21, 1980) is an American pop singer and songwriter from Atlanta, Georgia. She has released two full-length albums, Lemon Love and The Dandelion Sessions, as well as a 4-disc EP. She is also the sister of three members of the band Georgia.
Aslyn was born in west Florida and raised in Chiefland, Florida, outside of Gainesville. At the age of seven, she began taking classical piano lessons from her mother. Immediately submersing herself into the music scene, she did everything she could to gain exposure to live performing: entering talent contests, singing at weddings, and performing at church.
Upon graduating from high school, she attended Carson-Newman College in Jefferson City, Tennessee and received her college degree. She then followed her dream of performing, which led her to Atlanta, Georgia, where she lived on various people's couches for a while as she performed throughout the town.
During this phase in her life, she purchased her first car with saved money. She referred to this car as a "lemon", and it eventually inspired the title track of her debut album, "Lemon Love". She briefly dated Butch Walker, mentioning him in her song "Golden" as "Number Five."
Beginning in 2002, she began to compose many of the songs that would be the basis for Lemon Love. Record companies in Los Angeles began to show interest in Aslyn's music, inspiring her to begin searching for a record label.
Aslyn performed a very personal song for Capitol Records entitled "493–1023" which speaks about her father's job loss and ensuing loss of family stability. Upon hearing the song, the record label signed her immediately.
While preparing to record and write the songs for her debut CD, Aslyn requested to work with producer Guy Chambers. She had become interested in Chambers' work after hearing the heavily European sound on many of Robbie Williams' albums. Chambers produced eight of the twelve tracks on Lemon Love. For the remaining four, Aslyn worked with a California-based producer, Eric Valentine.
Two singles were released off the album: "Be the Girl" and "Gotta Get Over You". The first single that peaked at #35 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart. Aslyn's sound as a performer has been classified as more of an "independent pop/alternative singer". Her single "Be the Girl" was featured in an episode of Laguna Beach: The Real Orange County on MTV."Be the girl" also got featured in the "Bratz Rock Angels" Video Game.
After the release of her album, Aslyn began to tour the United States which such headliners as Ryan Cabrera, Better Than Ezra, Gavin DeGraw, The Click Five, and Chris Isaak. The album peaked at #36 on the Billboard Top Heatseeker chart.
In January 2008, Aslyn released an EP entitled The Grand Garden EP. The EP features 27 songs divided up into four parts or phases, most of which were recorded between Lemon Love and The Dandelion Sessions. The following year, she toured with Toby Lightman.
Her second album, The Dandelion Sessions, was released on August 1, 2009 on iTunes. Aslyn also performed at the benefit Zac Brown Band and Friends Concert on October 30, 2009 to help raise money for Athens' historic Georgia Theatre which burned down four months earlier on June 19.
In 2011, she released a live album Five Live on digital services on February 14. The physical version of the release was made available on May 14, 2012 through Amazon's Burn-On-Demand service.
Later that year, she contributed vocals and co-wrote some songs on Kalen Nash's Ukred album which was released in 2012.
Her brothers were in a country rock band called Georgia. They were signed with Atlantic records from 2007-2010.
|2009||The Dandelion Sessions||–||Lemonade Records|
|2011||Five Live||–||Lemonade Records|
|Year||Single||Adult Top 40||Album|
|2005||"Be The Girl"||26||Lemon Love|
|"Gotta Get Over You"||–|
|2009||"Me & You & Daisies"||–||The Dandelion Sessions|
|2016||"Right Type of Lover" (as DEGA)||–||DEGA|
|2017||"Trying to Drive" (with Zac Brown Band)||–||Welcome Home|
2008: The Grand Garden EP
- Spring Tour
(with Washed Out)
- Cayamo 2012
- Summer Tour
- Western Tour
with Toby Lightman
- Cayamo 2009
- The Rock Boat VIII
- The Rock Boat VII
- The Rock Boat VI
- House of Blues Tour
with special guest, Ryan Cabrera
- University Tour
with special guest, Gavin DeGraw
- Ride the Wave Tour
with special guest, The Click Five
- "Aslyn: Music". MTV.com. Archived from the original on January 7, 2008. Retrieved 2008-01-29.
- Capitol Records, http://www.capitolrecords.com/artists/home.aspx?artistID=920555, 2007.
- Aslyn | Music Artist | Videos, News, Photos & Ringtones | MTV
- Billboard Charts, http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/esearch/searchResult.jsp?configType=BBCOM_SIMPLEDEFAULT&pubList=Billboard&an=bbcom&action=Submit&kw=&exposeNavigation=true&keyword=aslyn&searchType=ARTICLE_SEARCH&submit.x=20&submit.y=14, 2005.
- Chicago Nightlife Online, http://www.centerstagechicago.com/events/music/view.cfm?venue=House%20of%20Blues&archive=yes, 2005.
- Chad Radford (October 29, 2009). "Kid Rock joins Zac Brown & friends for GA Theatre benefit". Creative Loafing. Archived from the original on November 4, 2009. Retrieved 2009-12-02.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on March 7, 2014. Retrieved 2014-03-06.
- aslyn [@aslyn] (6 March 2014). "Playing Savannah Stopover festival with my new project DEGA tonight, Club one, 11pm!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- aslyn [@aslyn] (18 September 2012). "I'm married to The Kaossilator" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- http://ennvy.com/aslyn-mitchells-wedding-photos/[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aslyn.|