Asoka de Silva (judge)
|Asoka De Silva|
|42nd Chief Justice of Sri Lanka|
8 June 2009 – 17 May 2011
|Appointed by||Mahinda Rajapaksa|
|Preceded by||Sarath N. Silva|
|Succeeded by||Shirani Bandaranayake|
|President of the Court of Appeal|
1995 (Justice), 1999 – 2001
|Senior Deputy Solicitor General|
|Born||17 May 1946|
|Alma mater||University of Peradeniya
University of Colombo
University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
Silva obtained his primary education from St. Anthony's College, Kandy. After graduating from University of Peradeniya in 1971 he joined as an advocate of the Supreme Court in December 1972. He joined the Attorney General's Department on 2 April 1974. He became a Senior Deputy Solicitor General on 1987 and after serving 22 years in the Attorney General's Department he was appointed a judge of the Court of Appeal on 12 October 1995. Chief Justice Asoka De Silva became the President of the Court of Appeal in February 2001 and later elevated to the Supreme Court on 1 August 2001.
On 31 July 2013 he was appointed as a member of the Judges and Magistrates Vetting Board in Kenya, a body established under Kenya's new Constitution to rid the Judiciary of unsuitable judicial officers.
Asoka De Silva has obtained a master's degree in administrative law in 1983/84 from the University of Colombo and has done a postgraduate diploma in criminology at the University of Illinois in the United States.
- Lecturer in Sri Lanka Law College
- Lecturer in Faculty of Law, University of Colombo
- Represented Sri Lanka at the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development in Brazil
- Member of the National Task Force to formulate the National Environmental Policy
- International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda as a permanent judge by the United Nations Secretary General, Kofi Annan on 3 August 2004. He served ICTR as one of the 16 permanent judges in the tribunal in Trial Chamber II.
- List of St. Anthony's College, Kandy alumni
- Chief Justice of Sri Lanka
- International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda
- "Justice Asoka de Silva takes oath as new Chief Justice - News Photo". Lankanewspapers.com. Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Overview". Judicial Service Commission Secretariat. Archived from the original on 19 October 2013. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-02-02. Retrieved 2014-01-31.
- "ICTR News Detail". Unictr.org. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
Sarath N. Silva
|Chief Justice of Sri Lanka