Asoke Nath Mitra
|Asoke Nath Mitra|
|Born||April 15, 1929|
|Alma mater||Delhi University|
|Doctoral advisor||R. C. Majumdar; Hans Bethe|
|Notable awards||Bhatnagar Award|
Asoke Nath Mitra (born 1929) is an Indian physicist. For his work in theoretical nuclear and particle physics, he was awarded the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in 1969.  He is currently Professor Emeritus at Delhi University.
Asoke Nath Mitra was born on 15 April 1929. His father, Jatindra Nath Mitra, taught mathematics in Ramjas College, Delhi University. Mitra too went to Ramjas College to study mathematics, and obtained an M. A. He started his work in physics in 1949, as a Ph. D. student working with R. C. Majumdar.
After his Ph. D., Mitra went to Cornell University, where he completed a second Ph. D., working with Freeman J. Dyson and Hans Bethe. Mitra returned to India in 1955, and was appointed Reader at Aligarh Muslim University. He moved to Delhi University as Professor in 1963, where he remained until his superannuation in 1994. During 1989-94 he held a special chair, as INSA-Albert Einstein Research Professor. Mitra was Head of the Department of Physics and Astrophysics during 1973-74, but stepped down without completing his three-year term. He held visiting appointments at Indiana University (1962–63) and at the University of Illinois at Chicago (1986–87).
- Pion-nucleon scattering at high energies, Cornell University, 1955
- Niels Bohr: A Profile, edited by A. N. Mitra, L. S. Kothari, V. Singh and S. K. Trehan, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi, 1985
- Quantum Field Theory: A Twentieth Century Profile, American Mathematical Society, 2001. ISBN 81-85931-25-9
- India in the World of Physics: Then and Now, edited by Asoke N. Mitra, Pearson Education India, 2009. ISBN 81-317-1579-5.
Awards and honours
- SS Bhatnagar Prize (1969)
- UGC National Lecturer (1973)
- UGC National Fellow (1975–78)
- Meghnad Saha Award (1975)
- SN Bose Medal of INSA (1986)
- Fellow, Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi
- Fellow, Indian Academy of Sciences, Bangalore
- Fellow, National Academy of Sciences (India), Allahabad
- Fellow, The World Academy of Sciences for the advancement of science in developing countries (TWAS), Trieste
- "Awardee details: Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize". Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- Panchapakesan, N (10 January 2014). "LIVING LEGENDS IN INDIAN SCIENCE: Asoke Nath Mitra" (PDF). Current Science. 106 (1): 106–109. Retrieved 9 March 2014.
- "INSA: Indian Fellow". Indian National Science Academy. Retrieved 24 March 2014.
- "Mitra Asoke Nath|TWAS". Retrieved 11 March 2014.
|This article about an Indian physicist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|