Ladd poses after weigh-in at UFC 229 in 2018
March 1, 1995
Folsom, California, United States
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||135 lb (61 kg; 9.6 st)|
|Reach||66 in (168 cm)|
|Style||Boxing, Kickboxing, Wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Rank||Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Aspen Ladd (born March 1, 1995) is an American professional mixed martial artist who competes in the Bantamweight division of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). A professional since 2015, Ladd started her professional mixed martial arts career in Invicta FC. As of February 10, 2020, she is #3 in the UFC women's bantamweight rankings and #10 in UFC women's pound-for-pound rankings.
Mixed martial arts career
Following an amateur run of 8–1, which included 6 finishes, Ladd signed with Invicta FC.
Ladd was scheduled to make her professional debut against Kristi Lopez on February 27, 2015 at Invicta FC 11. However, Lopez suffered an injury in training and was replaced by decorated grappler Ana Carolina Vidal. Ladd won the fight via TKO in the first round.
Ladd faced Jessica Hoy on July 29, 2016 at Invicta FC 18. During the weigh ins, Ladd missed weight, coming in 2.1 lbs over the bantamweight limit. She elected not to cut any additional weight and was fined 25 percent of her purse, which went to her opponent. The bout proceeded at a catchweight of 138.1 lbs. She won the fight via TKO in the second round.
Ladd would make her final appearance for the promotion when she faced Sijara Eubanks on January 14, 2017 at Invcita FC 21. She won the fight via unanimous decision, marking the first time Ladd had failed to finish her opponent in her professional career.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Ladd eventually made her UFC debut against Lina Länsberg on October 22, 2017 at UFC Fight Night 118. She won the bout via TKO in the second round, with a powerful war cry until the referee was forced to intervene.
Ladd was scheduled to face Leslie Smith on April 21, 2018 at UFC Fight Night 128. At the weigh-ins, Ladd weighed in at 137.8 lbs, 1.8 lbs over the bantamweight non-title fight upper limit of 136 lbs. Ladd offered Leslie an additional $5,000 on top of her 20% purse deduction. However, the fight was removed from the card after Smith refused to fight at catchweight.
Ladd next faced former Invicta FC Bantamweight Champion Tonya Evinger on October 6, 2018 at UFC 229. She won the fight via TKO in the first round. This win earned her the Performance of the Night award.
Ladd faced Germaine de Randamie on July 13, 2019 at UFC Fight Night 155. At the weigh-ins for the event on July 12, Ladd attracted media attention for having a noticeably difficult weight cut which included her trembling on the scale and wincing in pain while weighing in and was described by a journalist covering the event as "[looking] like she was on the verge of a serious medical mishap." However, Ladd was cleared by the California State Athletic Commission to fight and hours later at the ceremonial weigh-ins she dismissed the seriousness of the situation by saying "I feel fantastic, now. I mean it’s always a little bit rough, that was particularly rough but I made it, I’m feeling good, and I’m ready for tomorrow." She lost the fight via technical knockout 16 seconds into round one, setting a women's bantamweight record and suffering her first professional loss. Despite initially accepting the loss in a post-fight interview, Ladd appealed it in October on the grounds of premature stoppage. However, the athletic commission voted 3–2 against the appeal, leaving the TKO loss intact.
Ladd's bantamweight licencee was suspended by California State Athletic Commission after gaining 18 percent of her weight between weigh-ins and fight day against Germaine de Randamie at UFC on ESPN+ 13. "Extensive medical documentation" is needed to clear suspension.
Ladd was face Julianna Pena on March 28, 2020 at UFC on ESPN 8. However, Peña pulled out of the fight in early March citing an injury. In turn, promotion officials elected to remove Ladd from the card entirely, and the pairing is expected to be rescheduled at a future event. Instead Ladd was scheduled to face Sara McMann on June 27, 2020 at UFC on ESPN: Poirier vs. Hooker. However, Ladd suffered a training injury, torn both her ACL and MCL and was forced to withdraw from the event. It is unclear at the moment if a replacement would be sought by UFC officials.
Championships and accomplishments
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|10 matches||9 wins||1 loss|
|Win||9–1||Yana Kunitskaya||TKO (punches)||UFC on ESPN: Overeem vs. Rozenstruik||December 7, 2019||3||0:33||Washington, D.C., United States|
|Loss||8–1||Germaine de Randamie||TKO (punch)||UFC Fight Night: de Randamie vs. Ladd||July 13, 2019||1||0:16||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||8–0||Sijara Eubanks||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: dos Anjos vs. Lee||May 18, 2019||3||5:00||Rochester, New York, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||7–0||Tonya Evinger||TKO (punches)||UFC 229||October 6, 2018||1||3:26||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||6–0||Lina Länsberg||TKO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Cerrone vs. Till||October 21, 2017||2||2:33||Gdańsk, Poland|
|Win||5–0||Sijara Eubanks||Decision (unanimous)||Invicta FC 21: Anderson vs. Tweet||January 14, 2017||3||5:00||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Win||4–0||Jessica Hoy||TKO (elbows and punches)||Invicta FC 18: Grasso vs. Esquibel||July 29, 2016||2||3:14||Kansas City, Missouri, United States||Catchweight (138.1 lbs) bout; Ladd missed weight.|
|Win||3–0||Kelly McGill||TKO (elbows and punches)||Invicta FC 16: Hamasaki vs. Brown||March 11, 2016||3||1:47||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Bantamweight debut.|
|Win||2–0||Amanda Cooper||Submission (armbar)||Invicta FC 14: Evinger vs. Kianzad||September 12, 2015||2||4:42||Kansas City, Missouri, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ana Carolina Vidal||TKO (punches and elbows)||Invicta FC 11: Cyborg vs. Tweet||February 27, 2015||1||4:21||Los Angeles, California, United States||Flyweight debut.|
Amateur mixed martial arts record
|Amateur record breakdown|
|9 matches||8 wins||1 loss|
|Win||8–1||Roma Pawelek||Technical submission (guillotine choke)||Tuff-N-Uff - The Future Stars of MMA||August 1, 2014||1||2:45||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Won the Tuff-N-Uff Women's Flyweight Championship.|
|Loss||7–1||Cynthia Calvillo||Decision (unanimous)||West Coast FC 9||April 26, 2014||3||5:00||McClellan, California, United States||Lost the West Coast FC Women's Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||7–0||Madeline Simmons Kidder||TKO (punches)||West Coast FC 8||February 15, 2014||1||2:02||Sacramento, California, United States||Won the West Coast FC Women's Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||6–0||Silvia Babaeghian||Decision (unanimous)||Ultimate Reno Combat 44||October 5, 2013||3||5:00||Reno, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–0||Leslie Rodriguez||Decision (unanimous)||West Coast FC 6||August 3, 2013||3||5:00||Placerville, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Veronica Carousos||Submission (armbar)||Ultimate Reno Combat 42||July 20, 2013||1||0:25||Reno, Nevada, United States||Won the Ultimate Reno Combat Women's Flyweight Championship.|
|Win||3–0||Karla Gonzalez-Santoyo||TKO (strikes)||Ultimate Reno Combat 41||June 1, 2013||1||2:08||Reno, Nevada, United States|
|Win||2–0||Michelle Mix||Submission (armbar)||Ultimate Reno Combat 40||April 13, 2013||1||1:08||Reno, Nevada, United States|
|Win||1–0||Jaimelene Nievera||Submission (Americana)||Montbleu Resort & WFC - MMA at the Lake||March 15, 2013||2||2:14||Lake Tahoe, Nevada, United States|
- "Aspen Ladd | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- John Morgan (July 10, 2019). "MMAGOLD founder: Grass-roots program paying off with big UFC on ESPN+ 13 slot for Aspen Ladd". mmajunkie.com.
- "Aspen Ladd - Official UFC Profile". UFC.com. Archived from the original on July 9, 2017. Retrieved July 9, 2017.
- "Invicta FC 16 winner Aspen Ladd: I don't need a nickname; my name is weird enough". MMA Junkie. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
- "Invicta FC Signs 19 Year Old Flyweight Prospect Aspen Ladd". MMA Weekly. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
- "Aspen Ladd Interview". Tuff-N-Uff. Retrieved 2016-04-11.
- "Rankings | UFC". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2020-02-10.
- "Ana Carolina Vidal Steps In Against Aspen Ladd at Invicta FC 11". Invicta FC. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Invicta FC 11 'Cyborg vs Tweet' results, LIVE stream updates". MMAmania. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "INVICTA FC 14 GETS NEW HEADLINER, FULL CARD ANNOUNCED". UFC.com. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Invicta FC 14 Results: Evinger vs. Kianzad". MMAfighting. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "ANGELA HILL, ASPEN LADD ADDED TO INVICTA FC 16". MMAcrossfire. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "INVICTA FC 16 RESULTS: PLAY-BY-PLAY, UPDATES & ROUND-BY-ROUND SCORING". Sherdog. 2016-03-11. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Ladd-Hoy, Simpson-Soukupova complete Invicta FC 18 lineup in Kansas City". MMAjunkie. 2016-07-01. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Invicta FC 18 weigh-in results, two ladies miss weight". mymmanews. 2016-07-28. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Invicta FC 18 results and highlights: Grasso dominates Esquibel, Anderson wrecks Morgan". Bloody Elbow. 2016-07-30. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Four fights added to Invicta FC 21 lineup". MMAjunkie. 2016-12-08. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- "Invicta FC 21 results: Megan Anderson captures interim 145-pound title, calls out future UFC champ". MMAjunkie. 2016-07-30. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- Staff (2017-07-05). "Tom Gallicchio vs. James Krause joins Dhiego Lima vs. Jesse Taylor to complete TUF 25 Finale lineup". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2017-07-05.
- "Jessica Eye vs. Aspen Ladd scratched from tonight's TUF 25 Finale lineup". MMAjunkie. 2017-07-07. Retrieved 2017-10-20.
- "Aspen Ladd set for UFC debut in Gdansk against Lina Lansberg". mmafighting.com. 2017-09-26.
- "UFC Fight Night 118 results: Aspen Ladd pounds out Lina Lansberg in 2nd". MMAjunkie. 2017-10-21. Retrieved 2017-10-21.
- "Aspen Ladd vs. Leslie Smith slated for April". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- "Aspen Ladd misses weight due to 'certain female circumstances,' Leslie Smith bout cancelled". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2018-04-20.
- Staff (2018-08-29). "Tonya Evinger moves to UFC 229, will face undefeated Aspen Ladd". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-08-29.
- "UFC 229 play-by-play and live results". MMAjunkie. 2018-10-06. Retrieved 2018-10-06.
- "UFC 229 Bonuses, Live Gate & Attendance Revealed • MMA News". MMA News. 2018-10-07. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- John Morgan (2018-12-21). "Holly Holm vs. Aspen Ladd added to UFC 235 in March". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2018-12-21.
- Mike Bohn (2019-02-01). "Ex-champ Holly Holm vs. Aspen Ladd removed from UFC 235". mmajunkie. Retrieved 2019-02-01.
- Staff (2019-03-07). "Aspen Ladd vs. Sijara Eubanks bantamweight bout set for UFC on ESPN+ 9 in May". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-03-07.
- Shillan, Keith (2019-05-18). "UFC Rochester Results: Aspen Ladd Defeats Sijara Eubanks in Fun Scrap". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-05-19.
- "UFC on ESPN+ 10 bonuses: Aspen Ladd-Sijara Eubanks barnburner earns 'Fight of the Night'". MMA Junkie. 2019-05-19. Retrieved 2019-05-19.
- Alexander, Mookie (2019-05-29). "Aspen Ladd vs. Germaine de Randamie set as UFC Sacramento main event". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2019-05-30.
- Bohn, Mike (July 12, 2019). "Aspen Ladd brushes off seriousness of frightening UFC on ESPN+ 13 weigh-in". MMA Junkie. Retrieved July 12, 2019.
- "UFC Sacramento: Germaine de Randamie knocks out Aspen Ladd in 16 seconds". FanSided. 2019-07-13. Retrieved 2019-07-14.
- Marc Raimondi (October 14, 2019). "Aspen Ladd to appeal 16-second TKO loss to Germaine de Randamie". espn.com.
- Damon Martin (October 15, 2019). "Aspen Ladd's appeal denied to have loss to Germaine de Randamie overturned". mmafighting.com.
- "Aspen Ladd's bantamweight license suspended in California, can be cleared via 'extensive documentation'". MMA Junkie. 2019-08-09. Retrieved 2019-08-10.
- Gonzalez, Gabriel (2019-08-09). "UFC Washington D.C. Adds Aspen Ladd vs. Yana Kunitskaya, Claudia Gadelha vs. Cynthia Cavillo". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-08-09.
- Doherty, Dan (2019-12-07). "UFC DC Results: Aspen Ladd Finishes Yana Kunitskaya Immediately in Third Round". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2019-12-08.
- Anderson, Jay (2020-01-13). "Aspen Ladd vs. Juliana Pena Announced for UFC Columbus". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-01-13.
- John Morgan (2020-03-06). "Injury forces Julianna Pena out of UFC on ESPN 8 fight vs. Aspen Ladd". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2020-03-06.
- DNA, MMA. "Aspen Ladd treft Sara McMann tijdens UFC on ESPN 9 op 27 juni". Retrieved 2020-05-22.
- Andrew Richardson (2020-06-20). "Midnight Mania! Aspen Ladd suffers major injury, forced out of Sara McMann fight". Retrieved 2020-06-20.
- "UFC 229 Bonuses, Live Gate & Attendance Revealed • MMA News". MMA News. 2018-10-07. Retrieved 2018-10-07.
- Dave Doyle (2019-05-19). "UFC on ESPN+ 10 bonuses: Aspen Ladd-Sijara Eubanks barnburner earns 'Fight of the Night'". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2019-05-19.
- Sherdog.com. "Aspen Ladd MMA Stats, Pictures, News, Videos, Biography - Sherdog.com". Sherdog. Retrieved 2019-08-08.
- "Aspen Ladd | MMA Fighter Page". Tapology. Retrieved 2019-12-11.