Aspen Holdings Head Office, Durban, South Africa
|Public (JSE: APN)|
|Industry||Health care, Pharmaceutical industry|
|Founded||1850, public 1997.|
|Stephen Saad (Group Chief Executive), Gus Attridge (Deputy Group Chief Executive)|
|Products||Specialty branded pharmaceuticals, injectables, tablets, liquids, capsules, steriles, biologicals, active ingredients active pharmaceutical ingredients, nutritional products|
|Revenue||R42,596,000,000 (FY 2018)|
|R8,288,000,000 (FY 2018)|
|Total assets||R132,836,000,000 (FY 2018)|
|Total equity||R50,095,000,000 (FY 2018)|
Number of employees
After complaints of anticompetitive activities by Boehringer Ingelheim and GlaxoSmithKline in 2003, Aspen was granted licenses from the companies to create generic versions of antiretrovirals (ARV) for use in the Sub-Saharan portion of Africa. At the time, Aspen was already the largest generic medicine distributor in South Africa. Subsequent inspections by international organisations led to a rapid increase in distribution capabilities, primarily though integration with alliance partners. The company's efforts led to expanded access to affordable treatments for HIV/AIDS.
Aspen has been criticised for increasing the prices of generic drugs it sells. It was fined for price-gouging in Italy where it paid $5.5m in October 2016 for its behaviour. It has been accused of the same practices, including artificially restricting supply, in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, France and Brazil. In France, three people died after being given cyclophosphamide, an alternative drug to Aspen's melphalan which had gone up in price. An investigation is currently ongoing.
Thyrax shortage in The Netherlands
In January 2016, Aspen announced that due to production problems, tablets with 0.025 mg Thyrax would not be available from mid-2016. Later, it was announced that this shortage would last well into 2017. People who took this medication had to switch to alternatives, which led to 30% of them experiencing side-effects because of this shift.
- "Aspen through the years". Aspen Integrated Report 2018. Aspen Holdings. Retrieved 7 February 2019.[self-published source]
- "Aspen Global presence". Aspen Integrated Report 2018. Aspen Holdings. Retrieved 7 February 2019.[self-published source]
- "Aspen Pharmacare Holdings Ltd Board of Directors". Aspen Integrated Report 2018. Aspen Holdings. Retrieved 7 February 2019.[self-published source]
- "Group statement of comprehensive income". Aspen Integrated Report 2018. Aspen Holdings. Retrieved 7 February 2019.[self-published source]
- "Notes to the Group Annual Financial Statements". Aspen Integrated Report 2018. Aspen Holdings. Retrieved 7 February 2019.[self-published source]
- Simeon Bennett; Michael Cohen (21 May 2010). "Aspen Pharmacare Offers to Buy Australia's Sigma Pharma for $1.23 Billion". Bloomberg News.
- Tenu Avafia; Jonathan Berger; Trudi Hartzenberg (1 January 2009). "8. The ability to utilize TRIPS flexibilities in sub-Saharan African countries". In Ricardo Meléndez-Ortiz; Pedro Roffe. Intellectual Property and Sustainable Development: Development Agendas in a Changing World. Edward Elgar Publishing. pp. 177–8. ISBN 978-1-84844-645-8. Retrieved 30 June 2012 – via Google Books.
- Patrick Lumumba Osewe; Yvonne Korkoi Nkrumah; Emmanuel K. Sackey (15 June 2008). Improving Access to HIV/AIDS Medicines in Africa: Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) Flexibilities Utilization. World Bank Publications. pp. 35–9. ISBN 978-0-8213-7544-0. Retrieved 30 June 2012 – via Google Books.
- Karen Maas; Frank Boons (30 April 2010). "7. CSR as a strategic activity". In Céline Louche; Samuel O. Idowu; Walter Leal Filho. Innovative CSR: From Risk Management to Value Creation. Greenleaf Publishing. p. 158. ISBN 978-1-906093-35-8. Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- Editor, Sarah Boseley Health (28 January 2017). "Drugs firms are accused of putting cancer patients at risk over price hikes". Retrieved 14 April 2017 – via The Guardian.
- "Aspen under EU antitrust spotlight over excessive cancer drug prices". Reuters. 15 May 2017. Retrieved 2017-06-19.
- "Report about the effects on patients that had to switch from thyrax" (PDF).