Asphalt: Urban GT 2
|Asphalt: Urban GT 2|
|Engine||GameLoft Handheld Game Engine (GHGE)|
|Mode(s)||Single player, Multiplayer|
The game features a special appearance from The Pussycat Dolls, and a sample of Moby's single "Lift Me Up". The Nintendo DS version was released approximately a year after the N-Gage version, with improved graphics, sound, and dual screen compatibility. A version for the PlayStation Portable was also released in March 2007.
The gameplay of Urban GT 2 is often compared to Burnout, Need for Speed and other titles as players can eliminate opponents by bumping through them, and evade or take down police cars. There is a wanted meter which determines the awareness level of the police, much like the wanted level system in Grand Theft Auto - if the red "WANTED" light flashes, it usually means that the players must do what it takes to avoid the police - otherwise they might be forced to pull over and lose their money.
Urban GT 2 was met with mixed to negative reception. GameRankings and Metacritic gave it a score of 65.33% and 68 out of 100 for the DS version; 62% for the Mobile version; and 30% and 42 out of 100 for the PSP version.
Frank Provo of GameSpot praised the game's improvements over the original and its selection of licensed vehicles and respective upgrades, but noted the game's poor AI. Andrew Hayward of Worthplaying however, was more critical of the game, calling it a "mundane exercise in repetition". Besides citing easy difficulty and AI problems, the use of the Pussycat Dolls was also criticised as being a "marketing gimmick".
- "Asphalt: Urban GT 2 for Nintendo DS". To The Game. Archived from the original on 14 February 2014. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "UBISOFT HITS THE GAS WITH ASPHALT™: URBAN GT 2". Ubisoft. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- Provo, Frank (28 November 2006). "Asphalt: Urban GT 2 Review (DS)". GameSpot. Retrieved 16 October 2013.
- "Asphalt: Urban GT 2 for DS". GameRankings. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Asphalt: Urban GT 2 for Mobile". GameRankings. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Asphalt: Urban GT 2 for PSP". GameRankings. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Asphalt: Urban GT 2 for DS Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Asphalt: Urban GT 2 for PSP Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- Smith, Quintin (7 April 2007). "Asphalt: Urban GT 2 (PSP)". Eurogamer. Retrieved 30 October 2014.
- "Asphalt: Urban GT 2". PlayStation Official Magazine: 120. May 2007.
- Hayward, Andrew (22 December 2006). "NDS Review - 'Asphalt 2: Urban GT'". Worthplaying. Retrieved 16 October 2013.