Assam Don Bosco University
Motto in English
|Seize the Day|
|Type||State Private, Research University|
|Endowment||INR 88.52 million (U.S $1.44 million)|
|Chancellor||Fr VM Thomas, SDB|
|Vice-Chancellor||Fr (Dr) Stephen Mavely, SDB|
|Students||2300+ (excluding online)|
|Location||Azara, Guwahati,, Assam, India|
Assam Don Bosco University is a state private, non-profit, co-educational, Catholic research university located in Assam, India. The university was founded on March 29, 2008 by the Salesians of Don Bosco (SDB) and executed by the Don Bosco Society, Azara, Guwahati. The university was officially established through the Assam Don Bosco University Act, 2009, on 9 January 2009 and created under the Assam Private Universities Act 2007.
- 1 History
- 2 Programmes
- 3 Recognition and accreditation
- 4 Collaborations
- 5 References
- 6 External links
The university was set up as a response to the educational needs of the people of North-East India by an educational society -Salesians of Don Bosco. Ever since the establishment of St. Anthony’s College at Shillong in 1934, the Salesians have set up and run higher educational institutions in North-East India.
- The first graduate courses in Technology and Engineering (B Tech) was started at Azara on 11 August 2008;
- Assam State Government passed the 'Assam Don Bosco University Ordinance, 2008' on 3 December 2008;
- Formal inauguration of the university on 6 December 2008 by Assam State Chief Minister, Shri Tarun Gogoi;
- 'Assam Don Bosco University Act, 2009' was published in the Gazette of Assam on 12 February 2009;
- The university started its first post-graduate course in Computer Science (MCA) at Azara on 20 August 2009, followed on 27 August by the second postgraduate course in Management (MBA) at Don Bosco Institute of Management at Kharghuli.
- On 8 December 2010 the university began On-Line and Distance Education www.dbuglobal.com.
- The first batch of 33 graduates in Business Administration (MBA) was awarded their degrees on 9 June 2011.
- On 26 July 2011 the university inaugurated another course in Civil Engineering (B Tech).
- 23 August 2011 saw the launch of two new postgraduate programmes: Social Work (MSW) and Technology (M Tech). 22 doctoral students started research in eight disciplines (Ph.D) on the same day.
- The first Convocation of the university was held on 19 September 2012.
Assam Don Bosco University offers academic programmes in Engineering, Management, Social Sciences, Research and Distance/Online Learning.
Graduate programmes in engineering and technology
- B.Tech - Civil Engineering
- B.Tech - Mechanical Engineering
- B.Tech - Computer Science and Engineering
- B.Tech - Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- B.Tech - Electronics and Communication Engineering
Postgraduate programmes in engineering and technology
- M.T.M. - Master of Management in Engineering & Technology
- M.Tech - Computer Science
- M.Tech - Electronics and Communication Engineering
- M.C.A. - Master of Computer Applications
- M.S.W. - Master of Social Work
- M. A. - Psychological Counselling
- M. A. - Educational Leadership
- M. A. - Educational Leadership (Executive)
- M. A. - Child Rights & Development
- M. A. - Convergent Media and Technologies
Postgraduate programmes in management
- M.B.A. - Marketing Management
- M.B.A. - Human Resource Management
- M.B.A. - Financial Management
- M.B.A. - Operations and General Management
- M.B.A. - Technology Management
Research Ph.D programmes
The university has a research Ph.D programme in the departments of Chemical Sciences, Physics, Computer Science, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Biotechnology, Business Administration, Social Work, Mass Communication, Language Studies, Comparative Religion and North East India Studies.
Online and distance education programmes
Master of Business Administration (MBA) with specialization in General Management, Logistics & Supply Chain Management, Operations Management, Retail Management, Human Resource Management, Finance Management and Marketing Management; MBA in Entrepreneurship, Business Management and Strategy; MBA in Technology Management; Master in Business Administration (Executive MBA) and Master of Computer Applications (MCA).
DBU Global has approval from the Distance Education Bureau of the University Grants Commission, India to offer MBA and MCA programmes and as such, admissions to the following programs are not yet being offered; Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA); Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) and Master of Science In Information Technology (MS-IT)
The first Constituent College of Don Bosco University is Don Bosco College of Engineering and Technology (DBCET).
Recognition and accreditation
The university is recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC), India and accredited by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC), India. The university is also approved by the Distance Education Bureau (DEB), India and the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE), India. ADBU is a recognized member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), India, Association of Commonwealth Universities, (ACU), UK and the International Association of Universities (IAU), France.
The university has established collaborative arrangements with universities and institutions in India and around the world through Memorandums of Understanding (MoU). The following are some of the partners of the University:
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock - United States
- DeSales University - United States
- Barry University - United States
- University of Chester - United Kingdom
- University of Fribourg - Switzerland
- Asian Institute of Technology - Thailand