Assassin's Creed Odyssey
|Assassin's Creed Odyssey|
Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4, Xbox One|
|Genre(s)||Action role-playing, stealth|
Assassin's Creed Odyssey is an upcoming action role-playing video game developed by Ubisoft Quebec and published by Ubisoft. It is the eleventh major installment, and twentieth overall, in the Assassin's Creed series and the successor to 2017's Assassin's Creed Origins. Set in the year 431 BCE, the plot tells a fictional history of the Peloponnesian War. Players choose between controlling a mercenary for either Athens and the Delian League or the Peloponnesian League, led by Sparta.
Assassin's Creed Odyssey places more emphasis on role-playing elements than previous games in the series. The game will contain dialogue options, branching quests, and multiple endings. The player will be able to choose the gender of the main character, adopting the role of Alexios or Kassandra. The player will also have the ability to develop romantic relationships with non-playable characters of both genders, regardless of which one they choose. The game features a notoriety system in which mercenaries will chase after the player if they commit crimes like killing or stealing from non-playable characters.
Both Alexios and Kassandra start the game as a mercenary and a descendant of the Spartan king Leonidas I. They inherit his broken spear, which is forged into a blade to become a weapon that grants the player special abilities in combat. The game uses a skill tree system that allows the player to unlock new abilities. The three skill trees include "hunter", which improves player character's archery, "warrior" which puts emphasis on combat, and "assassin" which focuses on stealth. This replaces the system used in Origins, which granted the player a series of passive abilities.
The hitbox combat system introduced in Origins returns and has been expanded upon to grant the player access to four different special skills when the ability bar fills up. These skills include calling a rain of arrows and a powerful kick to knock opponents off-balance, and are similar to the "Overpower" mechanic introduced in Origins that let the player use a powerful finishing move in combat. The game also features a gear system in which each piece of armor the player wears has different statistics and provides a range of advantages. These can be equipped and upgraded individually.
Assassin's Creed Odyssey also features the return of naval combat, with the player having access to Hellenistic-era warships to explore the Aegean Sea. The conflict between Athens and Sparta is represented through a "War System" which enables players to take contracts from mercenaries and participate in different large-scale battles against hostile factions. The war system can change a faction's influence over a region, which will alter both the gameplay and story.
The game is set in 431 BCE, four hundred years prior to the events of Assassin's Creed Origins. It recounts the secret fictional history of the Peloponnesian War, which was fought between the city-states of ancient Greece. The player takes on the role of a mercenary and will be able to fight for either Athens and the Delian League or the Peloponnesian League led by Sparta. As with previous games in the series, Odyssey features a narrative set in the modern day and follows Layla Hassan, who was first introduced in Assassin's Creed Origins.
Prior to the game's official appearance at E3 2018, Assassin's Creed Odyssey was leaked in May 2018 after the French site Jeuxvideo received a keychain containing the name Assassin's Creed Odyssey on it. Ubisoft officially announced Assassin's Creed Odyssey and its appearance at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2018 shortly thereafter. A day before the Ubisoft E3 press conference, screenshots of the game leaked by the gaming website Gematsu. The game is set to be released on October 5, 2018 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Some pre-orders of the game will be released on October 2, 2018.
A Nintendo Switch version was announced during the Japanese September 2018 Nintendo Direct. Similar to Capcom's release of Resident Evil 7: Biohazard for the console, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is a cloud-based title on the Nintendo Switch. The Nintendo Switch version will launch on the same day as the other platforms, but this is only confirmed for Japan.
(consoles and PC)
(consoles and PC)
(consoles and PC)
(consoles and PC)
(consoles and PC)
|Game disc||Yes||No||PS4 and Xbox One only||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|3 days early access||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|The Blind King mission||Yes (pre-order only)||Yes (pre-order only)||Yes (pre-order only)||Yes (pre-order only)||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Secrets of Greece mission||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Kronos Gear Pack||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Herald of Dusk Gear Pack||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|XP and Drachma Boost||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Capricornus Naval Pack||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Season Pass||No (can be purchased separately)||No (can be purchased separately)||Yes||Yes||No (can be purchased separately)||Yes||Yes|
|Steelbook||No||No||PS4 and Xbox One only||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Official soundtrack CD||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Figurine||No||No||No||No||Fallen Gorgon Statue||Spartan Leap Statue||Nemesis Diorama|
- Totilo, Stephen. "Everything We Learned About Assassin's Creed Odyssey After Playing It". Kotaku. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Higham, Michael; Knezevic, Kevin (11 June 2018). "E3 2018: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Has Branching Dialogue Choices". GameSpot. CBS Interactive Inc. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- Goroff, Michael (6 June 2018). "Report may reveal Assassin's Creed Odyssey setting, main character". EGMNOW. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- Schwartz, Terri (June 11, 2018). "E3 2018: Why Assassin's Creed Odyssey Is Adding Romance and Character Choice to the Story". IGN. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Philips, Tom (June 11, 2016). "Three hours with Assassin's Creed Odyssey". Eurogamer. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Wright, Steve (12 June 2018). "Assassin's Creed Odyssey skill tree has Warrior, Assassin and Hunter paths". Stevivor. Retrieved 12 June 2018.
- Gartenberg, Chaim (June 11, 2018). "Assassin's Creed: Odyssey is even more of a traditional RPG than last year's Origins". The Verge. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Ryan, Jon (June 11, 2018). "E3 2018: Assassin's Creed Odyssey Release Date, Gameplay Details Revealed". IGN. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Fogel, Stefanie (June 11, 2018). "New 'Assassin's Creed Odyssey' Details Drop". Variety. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Phillips, Tom. "Assassin's Creed Odyssey has leaked via a keyring". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- Kain, Erik. "First 'Assassins Creed Odyssey' Screenshots Leak Ahead Of E3". Forbes. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- "Assassin's Creed Odyssey screenshots leaked - Gematsu". Gematsu. June 10, 2018. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- McFerran, Damien (September 14, 2018). "Assassin's Creed Odyssey Is Coming To Nintendo Switch, But There's A Catch". Nintendo Life. Retrieved September 14, 2018.
- Knoop, Joseph (June 11, 2018). "Assassin's Creed Odyssey Special editions announced". IGN. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
- Wallace, Jamie (June 12, 2018). "has upwards of four special editions". Eurogamer. Retrieved September 17, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Assassin's Creed Odyssey.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Assassin's Creed Odyssey.|