Assembly of the Community of Municipalities, Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija
|Assembly of the Community of Municipalities of the Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija[a]
Скупштина Заједнице општина Аутономне Покрајине Косово и Метохија
Skupština Zajednice opština Autonomne Pokrajine Kosovo i Metohija
|Succeeded by||Community of Serb municipalities|
|11 May 2008|
The Assembly of the Community of Municipalities of the Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija[a] (Serbian: Скупштина Заједнице општина Аутономне Покрајине Косово и Метохија / Skupština Zajednice opština Autonomne Pokrajine Kosovo i Metohija) was the assembly of the association of local governments created by the municipal authorities in Kosovo elected in the May 11, 2008 municipal elections called by the Government of Serbia. It was created in North Kosovska Mitrovica to represent the municipalities that defy the 2008 Kosovo declaration of independence. The Assembly was composed of 45 representatives delegated by 26 municipalities. The majority of delegates were ethnic Serbs, while the rest represented the Gorani, Bosniak and Romani communities.
Serbia dropped its support for the assembly as a result of the 2013 Brussels Agreement, signed between the governments of Kosovo and Serbia. A new Community of Serb municipalities is set to be formed in 2015, which will operate within the Kosovo legal framework.
The first session of the Assembly took place on May 11 and the inaugural meeting of the assembly occurred on Vidovdan, the feast day for St. Vitus, June 28 in 2008—a historically important date for Serbs that commemorates the 1389 Battle of Kosovo. Radovan Ničić was the President of the Assembly.
The seats in the Assembly are divided as follows:
- Serbian Radical Party – 17
- Democratic Party of Serbia – 13
- Socialist Party of Serbia – 4
- Democratic Party – 3
- G17 Plus – 1
- Civic Initiative of Gora – 1
- Independent – 4
The elections which are basis for the Assembly were not recognised by the United Nations Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK) or the government of Kosovo. The creation of the Assembly has been condemned by President of Kosovo Fatmir Sejdiu as an act aimed at destabilising Kosovo while UNMIK has said the creation is not a serious issue because the Assembly will not have an operative role.
Post Brussels Developments
In the Brussels Agreement, in September 2013, Serbia ended its support of the municipal assemblies that appointed the members of the Assembly of the Community of Municipalities of the Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija. Serbia appointed temporary leaders until the 2013 Kosovo municipal elections were completed. The Community of Serb municipalities is expected to be formed in 2015.
- Serbs in Kosovo
- Kosovo Serb enclaves
- Serbian National Council
- Politics of Kosovo
- Association of Serb municipalities
Notes and References
|a.||^ Serbian: Скупштина Заједнице општина Аутономне Покрајине Косово и Метохија / Skupština Zajednice opština Autonomne Pokrajine Kosovo i Metohija, shortened Skupština zajednice opština AP Kosovo i Metohija (Скупштина заједнице општина АП Косово и Метохија), Skupština zajednice opština AP KiM (Скупштина заједнице општина АП КиМ), abbr. SZO AP KiM (СЗО АП КиМ).|
- "Serbs form rival Kosovo assembly". BBC News. 2008-06-14. Retrieved 2008-06-14.
- Vesna Peric Zimonjic (2008-06-29). "Kosovo Serbs set up rival assembly". The Independent. UK. Archived from the original on June 30, 2008. Retrieved 2008-06-29.
- "Brussels Agreement 2013: Key number 10: "The judicial authorities will be integrated and operate within the Kosovo legal framework..."".
- "Kosovo Serbs launch new assembly". BBC News. 2008-06-28. Retrieved 2008-06-28.
- Ben Cahoon. "Kosovo". Worldstatesmen.org. Retrieved 2011-03-31.
- "Kosovo Serbs convene parliament; Pristina, international authorities object". Southeast European Times. 2008-06-30. Retrieved 2008-07-01.
- http://www.b92.net/eng/news/politics.php?yyyy=2013&mm=09&dd=10&nav_id=87606. Missing or empty
- http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/belgrade-dismantles-north-kosovo-assemblies. Missing or empty
- Declaration of Establishing the Assembly of the Community of Municipalities of the Autonomous Province of Kosovo and Metohija (English)
- Deklaracija o osnivanju Skupštine Zajednice opština Autonomne Pokrajine Kosovo i Metohija (Serbian)
- Представници Скупштине заједнице општина КИМ о разговору са Борисом Тадићем