Associação Atlética Internacional (Limeira)
- Not to be confused with Associação Atlética Internacional (Bebedouro).
|Full name||Associação Atlética Internacional|
|Nickname(s)||Leão da Paulista (Paulista Lions)|
|Founded||October 5, 1913|
|Ground||Major José Levy Sobrinho, Limeira|
On October 2, 1913, at Teatro da Paz (meaning Peace Theater) members of an amateur football club called Barroquinha decided to professionalise their club, and established a monthly fee to be paid by its members and associates. On October 5, 1913, Associação Atlética Internacional was officially founded. The club was named after a São Paulo city club named Internacional (not to be confused with the still active Internacional of Porto Alegre). According to some fans, the club is named to honor the several immigrant communities in Limeira, like the German, Italian, Japanese, and Portuguese communities.
In 1986, Internacional, managed by Pepe, won the Campeonato Paulista. It was the first time that a countryside club won the competition. In the semifinals, Inter de Limeira beat Santos, and in the final, the club defeated Palmeiras.
In 1988, Inter de Limeira won its first national title, the Campeonato Brasileiro Série B. In the final four, the club finished ahead of Náutico of Pernambuco state, Ponte Preta of São Paulo state and Americano of Rio de Janeiro state. The club was promoted to the following year's Campeonato Brasileiro Série A.
- 1986, 1988
- 1978, 1996, 2004
Internacional's colors are black and white.
The club's anthem was composed by Joel Navarini, and it is called "Avante Leão!" (meaning "Go ahead Lion!").
The club is nicknamed Leão da Paulista (meaning "Lion of Paulista"). The nickname appeared after a match between Internacional and Comercial-Ribeirão Preto of Ribeirão Preto. Comercial is nicknamed Leão, and after a successful trip when the club remained undefeated, the club was beaten by Inter de Limeira, which then adopted the nickname.
- "History at Internacional's fansite". Archived from the original on September 30, 2007. Retrieved August 17, 2006.
- "Internacional at Arquivo de Clubes". Archived from the original on January 1, 2013. Retrieved August 17, 2006.
- Club history and trivia at Futebol Interior Archived June 25, 2006, at the Wayback Machine
- "Titles at Internacional's fansite". Archived from the original on September 28, 2007. Retrieved August 17, 2006.
- 1982 Campeonato Brasileiro Série A at RSSSF Archived February 18, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- Especial Placar - 500 Times do Brasil, São Paulo: Editora Abril: 2003.
- 1986 Campeonato Paulista at RSSSF Archived February 20, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- 1988 Campeonato Brasileiro Série B at RSSSF Archived December 10, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- Estádio Major José Levy Sobrinho at Templos do Futebol
- Anthem at Internacional's fansite
- Mascot depicted in Internacional's fansite