Associated Country Women of the World (ACWW)
Associated Country Women of the World (ACWW) is the largest organization of rural women and homemakers. The ACWW links over 365 women’s clubs and societies in 70 countries, each with their own national characteristics and independent activities. The organization currently has nine million members.
Headquartered in London, England, it has consultative, non-governmental status with certain United Nations agencies, and promotes international goodwill by offering practical help to its members around the globe.
Late 19th Century – rural women's groups were set up independently. Communication between groups enabled more country women to come together in friendship and work towards similar goals.
London April 1929 – first International Conference of Rural Women – 46 women from 24 countries attended four-day conference.
Stockholm 1933 – the committee became the Associated Country Women of the World (ACWW).
Aims and Objectives
- To raise the standard of living of rural women and families through education, training and community development programs.
- To provide practical support to its members and help them set up income-generating businesses.
- To give rural women a voice at international level through its links with United Nations agencies.
Through projects in rural communities, ACWW aims to improve the standard of living for all women and their families in the following areas:
- Health and nutrition
- Housing and fresh water supplies
- Small-scale agricultural planning and assistance
- Leadership training which encourages women to play a part in the development of their communities
ACWW also advocates for rural women and their families through its links with the UN. In addition to its special consultative status with United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), ACWW is a member of the following UN groups:
Working Group on Girls (part of UNICEF) NGO Committee on UNIFEM (part of UN Women) NGO Committee on UNICEF NGO Committee on the Status of Women NGO Committee on Sustainable Development NGO Committee on the Family NGO Committee on Ageing NGO-UNESCO Liaison Committee
- Associated Country Women of the World
- ACWW - JustGiving
- Ontario Plaques - Associated Country Women of the World
|This article about an international organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|