Association for Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Association for Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics (AOPT) is an organization that welcomes members from disciplines related to ocular pharmacology and its therapeutic applications. The mission of AOPT is the sustenance of a scientific network aiming the dissemination of knowledge in the field of ocular disease, pharmacology and therapeutics.
AOPT was begun informally in the 1970s by Dr. George Chiou as special sessions at the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology conferences. It grew to an official separate Symposium of Ocular Pharmacology meeting of academicians, clinicians, and pharmaceutical industry at Novi, Michigan in August 1993. The participants voted to charter the organization and this was accomplished the next year with the first AOPT meeting held in New Orleans, Louisiana in January 1995. The founding board comprised Drs. George Chiou (president), David Lee (vice-president), Hitoshi Shichi (treasurer), and Herbert Kaufman (trustee). During the early FASEB years, Chiou also established the Journal of Ocular Pharmacology, now the Journal of Ocular Pharmacology & Therapeutics. The history of AOPT is closely related to the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO).
The mission of AOPT is to help researchers and eye-care professionals in their efforts toward the understanding and the treatment of eye diseases. AOPT scientific dissemination involves preclinical and clinical pharmacologists and researchers. Scientific dissemination is promoted through biennial meetings  and the peer-reviewed journal: Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics (JOPT).
JOPT is the official journal of AOPT. It is a multidisciplinary journal that covers the latest findings related to pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics of pharmaceuticals used in the treatment of ocular disorders.
AOPT has a diverse leadership and membership which include principal investigators, scientists, medical professionals, technicians, and students with an interest in ocular pharmacology and therapeutics. The directive committee and members come from academic institutions and private companies worldwide.
- President: Dr. Thomas Yorio
- Vice-President: Dr. Filippo Drago
- Treasurer: Dr. Perter Kador
- Secretary: Dr. Carol Toris
- Trustees: Dr. Malinda Fitzgerald, Dr. Ash Jayagopal, Dr. Uday Kompella, Dr. Cameron Millar, Dr. Iok-Hou Pang, Dr. Ganesh Prasanna, Dr. Shusheng Wang, Dr. Christine Wildsoet
2013-2015 Board of directors
- President: Dr. Achim H. Krauss
- Vice-President: Dr. Thomas Yorio
- Treasurer: Dr. Ganesh Prasanna
- Secretary: Dr. Jeff Kiel
- Trustees: Dr. Abbot Clark, Dr. Julie Crider, Prof. Filippo Drago, Dr. Malinda Fitzgerald, Dr. Juana Gallar, Dr. Peter Kador, Dr. W. Daniel Stamer, Dr. Oliver Zeitz
- "George C.Y. Chiou, Ph.D. - Texas A&M Health Science Center". Medicine.tamhsc.edu. 2007-07-18. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- George Chiou is the founder and first president of AOPT. Ophthalmic Toxicology, 2nd edition. Taylor and Francis. Philadelphia, PA.
- "Association Management | Society Management Services | Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology". Faseb.org. 2013-09-24. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- Recent Advances in Ocular Pharmacology. Symposium proceedings. Novi, Michigan, August 8–10, 1993.J Ocul Pharmacol. 1994 Spring;10(1):1-410.
- GEORGE C.Y. CHIOU. The Birth of Association for Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Fall 1995, 11(3): 191-192. doi:10.1089/jop.1995.11.191.
- "AOPT Meetings". Aopt.org. Archived from the original on 2013-10-21. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics". Liebertpub.com. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "AOPT board of directors". Retrieved 2015-05-03.
Members of AOPT and societies in the field of eye research, gather every year at the annual ARVO meeting, in which the latest findings in vision and ophthalmology research are disseminated. Societies in the field of eye research span from preclinical to clinical and a few of these societies are hereby listed:
- ARVO (Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology)
- ISER (International Society for Eye Research)
- EVER (European Association for Vision and Eye Research)
- ISOPT (International Symposium on Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics)
- ASRS (American Society of Retinal Specialists)
- AGS (American Glaucoma Society)
- ASCRS (American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery)
- AAO (American Academy of Ophthalmology)
- AOA (American Optometric Association)
- NAEVR (The National Alliance for Eye and Vision Research)
- Societies of Pharmacology World-Wide