Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Palo Alto, California, U.S.|
|Thomas G. Dietterich|
The Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI) is an international scientific society devoted to promote research in, and responsible use of, artificial intelligence. AAAI also aims to increase public understanding of artificial intelligence (AI), improve the teaching and training of AI practitioners, and provide guidance for research planners and funders concerning the importance and potential of current AI developments and future directions.
The organization was founded in 1979 under the name "American Association for Artificial Intelligence" and changed its name in 2007 to "Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence". It has in excess of 4,000 members worldwide. In its early history, the organization was presided over by notable figures in computer science such as Allen Newell, Edward Feigenbaum, Marvin Minsky and John McCarthy. The current[when?] president is Yolanda Gil, and the president elect is Bart Selman.
Conferences and publications
The AAAI provides many services to the Artificial Intelligence community. The AAAI sponsors many conferences and symposia each year as well as providing support to 14 journals in the field of artificial intelligence. AAAI produces a quarterly publication, AI Magazine, which seeks to publish significant new research and literature across the entire field of artificial intelligence and to help members to keep abreast of research outside their immediate specialties. The magazine has been published continuously since 1980.
ACM-AAAI Allen Newell Award
The ACM-AAAI Allen Newell Award is presented to an individual selected for career contributions that have breadth within computer science, or that bridge computer science and other disciplines. This endowed award is accompanied by a prize of $10,000, and is supported by the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), and by individual contributions.
- Henry Kautz (2018)
- Margaret A. Boden (2017)
- Jitendra Malik (2016)
- Eric Horvitz (2015)
- Jon Kleinberg (2014)
- Moshe Tennenholtz and Yoav Shoham (2012)
- Stephanie Forrest (2011)
- Takeo Kanade (2010)
- Michael I. Jordan (2009)
- Barbara J. Grosz and Joseph Halpern (2008)
- Leonidas Guibas (2007)
- Karen Spärck Jones (2006)
- Jack Minker (2005)
- Richard P. Gabriel (2004)
- David Haussler and Judea Pearl (2003)
- Peter Chen (2002)
- Ruzena Bajcsy (2001)
- Lotfi A. Zadeh (2000)
- Nancy Leveson (1999)
- Saul Amarel (1998)
- Carver Mead (1997)
- Joshua Lederberg (1995)
- Fred Brooks (1994)
AAAI/EAAI Outstanding Educator Award
The annual AAAI/EAAI Outstanding Educator Award was created in 2016 to honor a person (or group of people) who has made major contributions to AI education that provide long-lasting benefits to the AI community.
- Ashok Goel (2019)
- Todd W. Neller (2018)
- Sebastian Thrun (2017)
- Peter Norvig and Stuart J. Russell (2016)
AAAI Squirrel AI Award for Artificial Intelligence for the Benefit of Humanity
The AAAI Squirrel AI Award for Artificial Intelligence for the Benefit of Humanity is a $1 million award that recognizes the positive impacts of AI to meaningfully improve, protect, and enhance human life.
- "AAAI Corporate Bylaws".
- "AAAI Officials". Retrieved 2020-05-07.
- "AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence". Archived from the original on 30 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-16.
- "2007 Australian Ranking of ICT Conferences". Archived from the original on 2 October 2009. Retrieved 2009-10-16. Tier A+.
- "Top-ranked Conferences in "Artificial Intelligence"". Microsoft Academic Search. Retrieved 2009-10-16.[permanent dead link] Rank 2.
- "Elected AAAI Fellows". www.aaai.org.
- "Allen Newell Award". Association for Computer Machinery. Archived from the original on 2012-05-16. Retrieved April 26, 2012.
- "ACM-AAAI Allen Newell Award". ACM Awards. ACM. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "AAAI/EAAI Outstanding Educator Award". Retrieved 2018-06-06.
- "AAAI Squirrel AI Award for Artificial Intelligence for the Benefit of Humanity". AAAI Awards. Retrieved 24 September 2020.