Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
|Legal status||Professional organization|
|Worldwide (125 countries)|
|Joseph T. Wells|
President and CEO
|Board of Regents|
Established in 1988, the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) is a professional organization of fraud examiners. Its activities include producing fraud information, tools and training. The ACFE grants the professional designation of Certified Fraud Examiner. The ACFE is the world's largest anti-fraud organization and is a provider of anti-fraud training and education, with nearly 85,000 members.
Certified Fraud Examiner credential
The Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) credential denotes expertise in fraud prevention, detection and deterrence. CFEs are trained to identify the warning signs and red flags that indicate evidence of fraud and fraud risk. CFEs around the world uncover fraud and implement processes to prevent fraud from occurring.
The ACFE runs a fraud museum containing exhibits linked to famous frauds, which is open to the public. America's Guide to Fraud Prevention, written by famous con man Steve Comisar, is on display in the ACFE fraud museum. The book is considered a piece of fraud history.
Joseph T. Wells founded the ACFE and sits as its chairman. After graduating from the University of Oklahoma, he served for ten years with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), during which time he investigated former Attorney General John N. Mitchell's involvement in Watergate.
In addition to his duties as chairman, Wells writes, researches, and lectures to business and professional groups on white-collar crime issues. He has written books and articles on fraud prevention and detection. His writings appear in professional journals.
- Frankensteins of Fraud, published by the ACFE
- "Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - The ACFE Fraud Museum". www.acfe.com.
- Barry Minkow Added to the List of Repeat Offenders, from Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Scott Patterson, ACFE Media Relations Specialist
- "ACFE's Fraud Museum". Accounting Today. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- "Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - Bio - Dr. Joseph T. Wells". www.acfe.com.
- Wells, Joseph T. (2010). I'm a Fraud; You're a Fraud: The Fables, Follies, and Foibles of a Fraud Fighter. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley. p. 376. ISBN 978-0-470-61070-1.