Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
|Legal status||Professional organization|
|Worldwide (125 countries)|
|More than 85,000|
|Joseph T. Wells|
President and CEO
|Board of Regents|
The Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE) is a professional organization of fraud examiners. Its activities include producing fraud information, tools and training. Based in Austin, Texas, the ACFE was founded in 1988 by Joseph T. Wells. The ACFE grants the professional designation of Certified Fraud Examiner. (abbreviated CFE).
Joseph T. Wells founded the ACFE and sits as its chairman. After graduating from the University of Oklahoma, he served for ten years with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), during which time he investigated former Attorney General John N. Mitchell's involvement in Watergate.
In addition to his duties as chairman, Wells writes, researches, and lectures to business and professional groups on white-collar crime issues. He has written books and articles on fraud prevention and detection. His writings appear in professional journals.
Global Fraud Conference
With companies losing up to 5% of annual revenue to occupational fraud, the ability to detect and deter fraud is critical. Due to this, the ACFE created the largest anti-fraud conference in the world as an opportunity for those interested in developing the appropriate tools to combat fraud. The 31st ACFE Global Fraud Conference will be held in Boston on June 21-26, 2020.
Past ACFE Global Fraud Conferences
- 25th ACFE Global Fraud Conference (2014) • San Antonio, Texas
- 26th ACFE Global Fraud Conference (2015) • Baltimore, Maryland
- 27th ACFE Global Fraud Conference (2016) • Las Vegas, Nevada
- 28th ACFE Global Fraud Conference (2017) • Nashville, Tennessee
- 29th ACFE Global Fraud Conference (2018) • Las Vegas, Nevada
- 30th ACFE Global Fraud Conference (2019) • Austin, Texas
The ACFE runs a fraud museum containing exhibits linked to famous frauds, which is open to the public. America's Guide to Fraud Prevention, written by famous con man Steve Comisar, is on display in the ACFE fraud museum. The book is considered a piece of fraud history.
- Frankensteins of Fraud, published by the ACFE
- "About the ACFE". www.acfe.com.
- "Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - Bio - Dr. Joseph T. Wells". www.acfe.com.
- "Fraud Crimes - The Kavinoky Law Firm".
- "Conferences". www.acfe.com.
- "Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - The ACFE Fraud Museum". www.acfe.com.
- Barry Minkow Added to the List of Repeat Offenders Archived 2011-06-24 at the Wayback Machine, from Association of Certified Fraud Examiners, Scott Patterson, ACFE Media Relations Specialist
- "ACFE's Fraud Museum". Accounting Today. Retrieved 2014-03-04.