Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers
|Motto||Shaping the Future of Learned and Professional Publishing|
|Legal status||A company limited by guarantee and incorporated in England and Wales|
|Purpose||To connect, train and inform the scholarly and professional publishing community and to be an advocate on behalf of the non-profit publishing sector|
|Headquarters||1-3 Ship Street,
West Sussex BN43 5DH UK
|over 360 members in 36 countries|
|Ian Russell |
The Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP) is an international trade association of non-profit publishers created in 1972 It is the largest association of scholarly and professional publishers in the world, claiming "more than 360 members in 36 countries". It was granted in 2004 the International Information Industry Award. The association has committees on copyright, marketing, professional education and training, and electronic developments. Recent work has included policies and practice in online publishing.
Winners of the 2012 awards were:
- Award for Contribution to Scholarly Publishing: CrossRef
- Award for Best New Journal: postmedieval: a journal of medieval cultural studies
- Award for Publishing Innovation: Peerage of Science
Winners of the 2010 awards were:
- Award for Contribution to Scholarly Publishing: Richard Gedye
- Award for Best New Journal: BMJ Case Reports
- Award for Publishing Innovation: ChemSpider
- Award for Best eBook Publisher - best platform: CRCnetBASE
||It has been suggested that this section be split into a new article. (Discuss) (July 2015)|
In collaboration with the Society for Scholarly Publishing, ALPSP publishes a peer reviewed quarterly journal called Learned Publishing, covering the field of scholarly publishing. The Journal is considered to be of a high level and to offer stimulating insights on the evolution of digital publishing. As part of a finely balanced approach to open access, it launched in 2007 an open access option, whereby authors can choose to make the online version of their article freely available.
The current Editor-in-Chief is Pippa Smart and the US editor is Judy Luther.
In 2010 ALPSP entered a partnership with SWETS, a subscription service company, for the electronic distribution of 824 learned journals.
- List of university presses
- List of academic journals associated with learned and professional societies
- "Championing the case of smaller publishers". Research informmation. Retrieved December 24, 2010.
- Hames, Irene (2007). Peer review and manuscript management in scientific journals: guidelines for good practice. Wiley-Blackwell. p. Appendix III. ISBN 978-1-4051-3159-9.
- "About us". ALPSP. Retrieved December 23, 2010.
- "ALPSP/Swets Meilleur service d'information 2004". ADBS-Info (in French). Retrieved December 24, 2010.
- Prytherch, Raymond John (2005). Harrod's Librarians' glossary and reference book. Ashgate publishing. p. 19. ISBN 978-0-7546-4038-7.
- "ALPSP announces Winners of the 2012 Awards". ALPSP. Retrieved June 11, 2013.
- "ALPSP Awards 2010 - winners announced". ALPSP. Retrieved December 24, 2010.
- "Serial Archive Listings for Learned Publishing". The Online Books Page. Retrieved December 23, 2010.
- "Learned Publishing". Society for Scholarly Publishing. Archived from the original on 6 January 2011. Retrieved December 23, 2010.
- Schuwer, Philippe. "Un périodique des plus stimulants". Persée (in French). Retrieved December 23, 2010.
- "Open Access. Will learned societies signal the change?". Research Information. Retrieved December 24, 2010.
- Okerson, Ann (August 4, 2005). "ALPSP-Sally Morris Statement Re. Google Digitizing". Yale University Library. Archived from the original on 8 November 2010. Retrieved December 24, 2010.
- "Learned Publishing launches trial Open Access option". The Ten Thousand Year Blog. Retrieved December 23, 2010.
- "Learned Publishing". Society for Scholarly Publishing Website. Society for Scholarly Publishing. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- "ALPSP and Swets Announce Launch of 2010 ALJC Collection". Information today. August 10, 2009. Retrieved December 24, 2010.
- "ALPSP eBooks Collection Launched by Ingram Digital". Information Today. Retrieved December 24, 2010.
- "Ingram Digital announces new eBook agreement with ALPSP". Research Information. March 15, 2008. Retrieved December 25, 2010.
- Learned Publishing online issues
- ALPSP ebooks
- ALPSP Learned Journals Collection
- ALPSP Position papers
- ALPSP List of members