Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
|Headquarters||Tampa, Florida, United States|
|Website||Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business|
The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International) was founded in 1916 to accredit schools of business. The current mission is to advance quality management education worldwide through accreditation, thought leadership, and value-added services. It is regarded as the benchmark for business school quality among the academic community.
The first accreditations took place in 1919. For many years, only North American business schools were accredited by AACSB (at that time, AACSB stood for American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business). It was an early supporter of internationalizing business education. The first school outside North America to be accredited was the top French business school ESSEC, in 1997.
Its founding members were:
- Yale University
- Columbia University
- Dartmouth College
- Harvard University
- New York University
- Northwestern University
- Ohio State University
- Tulane University
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Chicago
- University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
- University of Nebraska–Lincoln
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Texas at Austin
- University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Cornell University
In 2009, AACSB opened its first regional headquarters for Asia-Pacific in Singapore. In 2014, AACSB opened its second regional headquarters for Europe, Africa, and the Middle East (EMEA) in Amsterdam, Netherlands. The AACSB is officially recognized by the CHEA Council of Higher Education Accreditation.
During the International Conference and Annual Meeting (ICAM) in 2013, AACSB members unanimously approved the 2013 business and accounting Accreditation Standards (the standards were last evaluated and changed in 2003). The 2013 Standards ensure that business schools who achieve accreditation are best in class in how they meet the needs of their core stakeholders-students and employers. The Standards drive innovation, engagement and impact with students, employers and the communities they serve. The Blue Ribbon Committee on Accreditation Quality (BRC) was charged with evaluating and recommendation improvements to the accreditation standards, processes and infrastructure. After more than two years of study and collaborations with the global management education community and employer organizations, a new set of standards have been developed and chosen by nearly 700 of the best business schools globally.
As of February 2015, 727 schools have achieved AACSB Accreditation throughout 45 countries and territories (less than 5% of the estimated number of schools offering business degrees worldwide). 182 accounting programs are AACSB Accredited throughout 7 countries and territories. AACSB Membership should not be confused with AACSB Accreditation. All Accredited schools are members of AACSB, but not all members are Accredited. AACSB has 1,384 member business schools in 84 countries and territories.
Latest schools to receive the accreditation
- Cardiff University (United Kingdom)
- Carleton University (Canada)
- ESC Rennes School of Business (France)
- ESSCA School of Management (France)
- Florida Southern College (United States)
- Frankfurt School of Finance & Management (Germany)
- HEC Montreal (Canada)
- IÉSEG School of Management (France)
- Imperial College Business School (United Kingdom)
- Indian Institute of Management Calcutta (India)
- ISEG - Lisbon School of Economics and Management (Portugal)
- Macquarie Graduate School of Management (Australia)
- Missouri University of Science and Technology (United States)
- National Institute of Development Administration (Thailand)
- Rady School of Management (United States)
- Ryerson University (Canada)
- Saint Mary's College of California (United States)
- Southern University at New Orleans (United States)
- Stevens Institute of Technology (United States)
- T.A. Pai Management Institute (India)
- University of Bradford (United Kingdom)
- University of Dallas (United States)
- The University of Liverpool (United Kingdom)
- Universitas Gadjah Mada (Indonesia)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (Malaysia)
- University of Groningen (Netherlands)
- University of New Haven (United States)
- University of Stellenbosch (South Africa)
- The Zagreb School of Economics and Management (Croatia)
- University of Windsor (Canada)
- AACSB Homepage
- Brian Burnsed (March 15, 2011). "Top M.B.A. Programs Embrace Online Education". U.S. News & World Report. Archived from the original on 30 April 2011. Retrieved March 30, 2011.
- "AACSB Accreditation Standards". aacsb.edu. Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- John Thanopoulos and Ivan R. Vernon. "International Business Education in the AACSB Schools". Journal of International Business Studies (Palgrave Macmillan Journals) (Vol. 18, No. 1 (Spring, 1987)): 91–98. JSTOR 155045.
- "AACSB International: About Us". Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International. 1998. Archived from the original on October 4, 2002. Retrieved August 3, 2013.
- AACSB International opens headquarters in Singapore
- "Robert S. Sullivan, Dean of the Rady School of Management, Assumes Chair of AACSB International". SYS-CON Media. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- eNEWSLINE | Business Schools Earn and Maintain AACSB Accreditation. Aacsb.edu. Retrieved on 2013-07-18.
- AACSB Business and Accounting Accreditation. Aacsb.edu. Retrieved on 2013-07-18.
- L'IéSEG, 1ère école Post-Bac à posséder la double accréditation AACSB & EQUIS. Dimension-commerce.com. Retrieved on 2013-07-18.
- Florida Southern College - Barney Barnett School of Business and Free Enterprise Earns Prestigious AACSB International Business Accreditation. Flsouthern.edu (2013-06-11). Retrieved on 2013-07-18.
- "UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SAN DIEGO EARNS AACSB INTERNATIONAL ACCREDITATION". AACSB International. Retrieved 3 September 2013.
- SEBA Achieves Milestone with AACSB Accreditation | Saint Mary's College. Stmarys-ca.edu. Retrieved on 2014-04-12.
- Stevens Institute of Technology Earns AACSB International Accreditation. PR Newswire. Retrieved on 2015-05-23.