Assumption College for Sisters
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Type||Junior Catholic women's college|
|President||Sister Joseph Spring, S.C.C.|
|Location||Denville, New Jersey, USA|
Founded in 1953 through an affiliation with nearby Seton Hall University, Assumption is run by the Sisters of Christian Charity. It is the last remaining sisters' college, or college primarily designed to educate nuns, located in the United States.
Since 2014, Assumption has shared a campus with Morris Catholic High School.
Since it is primarily designed to prepare women for work in religious vocations, Assumption specializes in theological studies and the liberal arts. Religious courses are offered in doctrine, morality, catechetics, mariology, ecclesiology, and other areas of focus. More traditional subjects such as philosophy, art, literature, history, music, chemistry, biology, calculus, psychology, and computer literacy are also offered and required. Students at Assumption can receive the Associate of Arts and/or the Associate of Religious Arts upon graduation; a certificate option in Theological Studies is also available.
Assumption is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and the Commission on Higher Education of the State of New Jersey; it has been continuously accredited since 1965. It is a member of the Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities and the National Catholic College Admission Association.
- Assumption College: 2005-2006 Bulletin - accessed April 16, 2006
- Assumption College: Degrees Offered - accessed April 16, 2006
- Assumption College: Religious and Lay Student Body - accessed April 16, 2006
- The College Board: Assumption College for Sisters - accessed April 16, 2006
- Middle States Commission on Higher Education Institution Directory: Assumption College - accessed May 2, 2006
- National Catholic Reporter: Sisters' college marks 50 years (October 25, 2002)
- The New York Times: New Jersey experiment rejuvenating sisterhood (September 19, 2004)
- Yahoo! Education: Assumption College for Sisters - accessed May 2, 2006