Astana Giribangun, (also "Giri Bangun"), is a mausoleum complex for the Suharto family of former President of the Republic of Indonesia. It is located in Karang Bangun, Matesih, Karanganyar Regency, Central Java province on the slopes of Mount Lawu, approximately 35 kilometres east of Surakarta. The archaic Javanese prose title translates as "Palace of the risen mountain".
The structure is in traditional Javanese architectural style and occupies parts of the Mangkunegaran Royal Cemetery complex. It is approximately 300 metres from the burial sites of the Solonese royals Mangkunegara I, II and III. Former Indonesian President Suharto was buried in Astana Giribangun on 29 January 2008 with full state military honours following his death in Jakarta the day before. President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono presided over the ceremony. Suharto was buried beside his late wife, Mrs (Ibu) Tien Soeharto (Siti Hartinah Soeharto, who had died on April 28, 1996) and her mother.
In line with traditional Javanese practice, Suharto's family held a memorial ceremony at the Astana Giribangun in October 2010, 1,000 days after Suharto's death.
The choice of the site caused some controversy at the time. Many Javanese believed Ibu Suharto not to be of true noble blood but, rather, the descendent of a faithful court servant (who was born a commoner). The Mangkunegaran Court reconciled this controversy by decreeing that Suharto could indeed build an Astana (istana in bahasa Indonesia, or palace) but that it could not be any higher than a pre-existing royal tomb, Astana Mangadeg, near the Astana Giribangun was to be established. The Astana Mangadeg was considered to in a location with special spiritual features by many dukun, spiritualists and soothsayers for the strongly kejawen or kebatinan Suharto to meditate and derive charisma or shakti (magic).
- kompas.com http://www.kompas.com/read.php?cnt=.xml.2008.01.27.20194337&channel=1&mn=1&idx=1. Missing or empty
|title=(help)[permanent dead link]
- "Surakarta stops for Soeharto's entourage". The Jakarta Post. 29 January 2008.
- "Royal farewell to Soeharto". The Jakarta Post. 29 January 2008.
- "Archived copy". tempointeraktif.com. Archived from the original on 2009-08-10. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
- "Government urged to clear Soeharto's name". The Jakarta Post. 3 October 2010. Archived from the original on 2015-11-19.
- Astana Giribangun. Panduan Peziarah. Yayasan Mangadeg Surakarta, 1996. See also Dwi Atmana, 'Mysticism shrouded Soeharto's life, death', The Jakarta Post, 29 January 2008.
- Astana Giribangun. Panduan Peziarah. Yayasan Mangadeg Surakarta. 1996.(Indonesian language) ISBN unknown.
- Indonesia, Justine Varsulis. Lonely Planet, 2007: 206. ISBN 1-74104-435-9
- Dewi Sri in Village Garb: Fertility, Myth, and Ritual in Northeast Java, Journal article by Rens Heringa; in Asian Folklore Studies Vol. 56. Asian Folklore Studies 1997.
- Self and Self-Conduct among the Javanese "priyayi" Elite, translated from Indonesian by J. Joseph Errington. American Ethnologist, Vol. 11, No. 2 (May, 1984), pp.