AsteroidOS 1.0 default watchface
|Source model||Open source|
AsteroidOS is an open source operating system designed for smartwatches. It is available as a firmware replacement for some Android Wear devices. The motto for the AsteroidOS project is "Hack your wrist."
AsteroidOS is built like an embedded Linux distribution with OpenEmbedded. It works on top of the Linux kernel and the systemd service manager. AsteroidOS also includes various mobile Linux middlewares originally developed for Mer and Nemo Mobile such as lipstick and MCE.
The user interface is completely written with the Qt5 framework. Applications are coded in QML with graphic components coming from Qt Quick and QML-Asteroid. An SDK with a cross-compilation toolchain integrated to Qt Creator can be generated from OpenEmbedded for easier development.
Asteroid-launcher is a Wayland compositor and customizable home screen managing applications, watchfaces, notifications and quick settings. Asteroid-launcher runs on top of the libhybris compatibility layer to make use of Bionic GPU drivers.
AsteroidOS offers Bluetooth Low Energy synchronization capabilities with the asteroid-btsyncd daemon running on top of BlueZ5. A reference client named AsteroidOS Sync is available for Android users.
As of the 1.0 release, the following applications are shipped and pre-installed by default in AsteroidOS:
- Agenda: Provides simple event scheduling capabilities
- Alarm Clock: Makes the watch vibrate at a specific time of day
- Calculator: Allows basic calculations
- Music: Controls a synchronized device's music player
- Settings: Configures time, date, language, Bluetooth, brightness, wallpapers, watchfaces and USB
- Stopwatch: Measures an elapsed time
- Timer: Counts down a specified time interval
- Weather: Provides weather forecast for five days
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AsteroidOS.|
- "AsteroidOS is an Open Source OS for Smartwatches". xda-developers. 2016-12-08. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "Licenses – AsteroidOS". asteroidos.org. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "An open-source alternative to Android Wear OS for smartwatches emerges".
- "AsteroidOS: Open source smartwatch operating system that can replace Android Wear (on some watches) - Liliputing". 17 January 2016.
- "AsteroidOS: An Open Source Alternative to Android Wear". 1 March 2016.
- "Install – AsteroidOS".
- "AsteroidOS Homepage".
- "OpenEmbedded – AsteroidOS". asteroidos.org. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "Boot Process – AsteroidOS". asteroidos.org. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "AsteroidOS/meta-asteroid". GitHub. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "qtcon: QtCon Program". conf.qtcon.org. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "Creating an Asteroid App – AsteroidOS". asteroidos.org. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "Graphic Stack – AsteroidOS". asteroidos.org. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "Bluetooth – AsteroidOS". asteroidos.org. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- "AsteroidOS Sync - F-Droid". f-droid.org. Retrieved 2016-12-25.
- Revest, Florent (2018-05-15). "AsteroidOS 1.0 released - AsteroidOS". asteroidos.org. Retrieved 2018-05-15.
|This operating-system-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|