Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice
|Focus||LGBT and intersex rights|
|J. Bob Alotta, executive director|
The Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice is an international charitable foundation based in the United States focused on issues related to LGBT and intersex rights. The organization provide grants to individuals and organizations, promotes philanthropy, and provides capacity building assistance.
Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice solicits and invites grant proposals from individuals and organizations in the United States and internationally working on LGBT advocacy – especially around areas of the arts as well as racial, economic, social, and gender justice. For example, from 1992 to 1994, Astraea helped fund Esto no tiene nombre, a magazine created (in part by tatiana de la tierra) to explore and provide a platform for discussion about Latina lesbian culture. In 2012, the organization awarded 152 grants totaling US$1,310,624 to 113 organizations and 16 individuals across 36 countries. They work to connect the LGBTQI community to philanthropists and activists around the world.
The organization also promotes philanthropy and capacity building. Their policy of "Philanthropy of Inclusion" is founded on their concept of including people from all socioeconomic strata in philanthropic activism. They have both a domestic fund and an international fund, which they distribute to organizations coming from places including Eastern Europe, Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Middle East, and the Caribbean.
The Astraea Lesbian Writer's Fund raises funds for LGBT artists and promotes the writing of authors such as Audre Lorde, Dorothy Allison, Gloria E. Anzaldúa, Cheryl Clarke, Eileen Myles, Jewelle Gomez, Chrystos, and Sharon Bridgforth.
- "About Astraea". astraeafoundation.org. Astraea Lesbian Foundation For Justice. Retrieved 2015-06-18.
- "GuideStar Reports for Astraea Foundation, Inc". GuideStar. Retrieved June 18, 2015.
- "Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice" (PDF). Foundation Center. 23 April 2015. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Jamie (December 24, 2012). "Astraea, A Lesbian Foundation for Justice: The Autostraddle Interview". Autostraddle. Retrieved 2015-06-18.
- Fatima Van Hattum and Arianne Shaffer (February 2, 2015). "Transforming philanthropy: it's time to get serious". openDemocracy. Retrieved 2015-06-18.
- De La Tierra, Tatiana. "Activist Latina Lesbian Publishing: esto no tiene nombre and conmoción." I am Aztldn: The Personal Essay in Chicano Studies, ed. Chon A. Noriega and Wendy Belcher (Los Angeles: UCLA Chicano Studies Research Center Press, 2004) 172.
- "Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice: Grants for Human Rights". Inside Philanthropy. Retrieved 2017-02-17.
- "Introducing the Intersex Fund team at Astraea!". Astraea Lesbian Foundation for Justice. June 16, 2015. Archived from the original on 2015-07-03. Retrieved 2015-07-02.
- "Boost for Intersex activists and organisations". SOGI News.com. RFSL. January 16, 2015. Archived from the original on July 4, 2015. Retrieved 2015-07-02.