|This article does not cite any sources. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Studio album by Coil|
|Label||Acme/Prescription, Threshold House|
Astral Disaster is an album by Coil, which has been released in two distinct versions.
The original pressing of the album was released in an edition of 99 copies on 12" vinyl via the record label Acme/Prescription with catalogue number Drug 8. It was available only to those who had subscribed to the entire Drug series, and was packaged in a plain black sleeve with a title sticker signed and numbered by John Balance and Peter Christopherson. It included an insert with the track listing and release notes, and a piece of handmade artwork in a plastic zip-lock bag.
The later pressing of this album, released on CD and 12" via the Threshold House label, is completely rebuilt and remade with much more texture than the first release. This version also includes a remake of "The Mothership & The Fatherland" titled "MÜ-ÜR". The 12" inch release was limited to 1,000 copies on gray vinyl and a special edition of 100 copies on red vinyl. The special edition includes a sheet of lyrics that is signed by Jhon Balance, Peter Christopherson and Thighpaulsandra. It also includes an original numbered drawing, which is signed by Jhon Balance and Peter Christopherson.
Some of the more notable differences between the releases, other than the later release being more built up, is the disappearance of the sitar as well as the disappearance of the sound effect on John's voice on the original version of "The Sea Priestess".
Acme/Prescription 12" version
- "The Sea Priestess" – 14:11
- "Second Son Syndrome" – 2:47
- "I Don't Want To Be The One" – 2:45
- "The Avatars" – 3:21
- "The Mothership And The Fatherland" – 23:03
Threshold House CD version
- "The Avatars" – 3:02
- "The Mothership & The Fatherland" – 22:24
- "2nd Sun Syndrome" – 4:16
- "The Sea Priestess" – 14:10
- "I Don't Want To Be The One" – 4:47
- "MÜ-ÜR" – 22:40
Threshold House 12" version
- "The Avatars"
- "I Don't Wan't To Be The One"
- "2nd Sun Syndrome"
- "The Sea Priestess"
- John Balance - lyrics, vocals, Obsidian Mirrors, Scrim Generators
- Peter Christopherson - Macintosh, finger symbols
- Drew McDowall - Moog & Thoughtforms
- Thighpaulsandra - Mellotron, Hammond & synths
- Gary Ramon - guitar on "I Don't Want to be the One"
- The inner sleeve photo portraits were taken by Peter Christopherson and John Balance of each other during the total eclipse of the sun.
- The album is mainly themed on mankind's pollution of the seas for commerce, as exemplified by the lyrics to "MÜ-ÜR". The majority of the album was recorded in an area below the level of the Thames River.
- "The Avatars" was made with a Syrinx synthesiser, and was John Balance's attempt to recreate memories of sneaking through his house at night to watch the Bernard Quatermass series on television. The title of the song comes from a book by George Russell.
- "Second Son Syndrome" was purposely renamed "2nd Sun Syndrome" on reissue.
- Most of the lyrics to "The Sea Priestess" were based on Aleister Crowley's descriptions of the murals on the walls of the Abbey of Thelema at Cefalu in Sicily.