Location of the municipality and town of Astrea in the Department of Cesar.
|• Mayor||Edgar Orlando Barrios
|Elevation||200 m (700 ft)|
The municipality of Astrea limits to the north with the municipality of El Paso and northewest with Magdalena Department; to the south with the municipality of Chiriguana. It has an extension of 580 km². The average temperature throughout the year is 30 °C.
After the creation of the Department of Cesar in 1964 Astrea became a corregimiento of the municipality of Chimichagua. On November 26, 1984 Astrea segregated from Chimichagua and became a municipality of the Department of Cesar by Ordinance 013 of 1984.
- San Pedro
- Santa Cecilia
- El Vallito
Ranching and agriculture are the main economic activity in the region having the town of Astrea as the main urban center of the municipality. Agricultural products are commercialized in the town such as; yuca, sesame, corn and common bean among others.
Astrea celebrates the Día de San Antonio de Pádua (Saint Anthony of Pádua) Day in the corregimiento of Arjona, every year on June 16. Astrea also celebrates a traditional feast honoring the Día de San Martín (St. Martin's Day) every November 11.
- (Spanish) Interpolitico.com: Mayors of Cesar - 2008-2011 Archived November 1, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Colombiassh.org: Census 2005: Astrea
- (Spanish) DANE 2005 Census: Astrea
- (Spanish) Government of Cesar: Astrea Archived October 23, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- (Spanish) Agustin Codazzi Geographic Institute: Geological Map of Cesar[permanent dead link]
- (Spanish) Cesar 30 Años de Progreso - Gobernación del Cesar (1997). -Page 21-]
- (Spanish) Government of Cesar Department: Astrea
- (Spanish) Astrea official website
- (Spanish) Departamento Nacional de Estadistica - Astrea.