The main menu of AstroMenace
|Original author(s)||Viewizard / Michael Kurinnoy|
|Initial release||February 20, 2007|
1.3.2 / 2013
|Platform||cross-platform (Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux and others)|
|Type||Single-player Arcade game|
|License||GPLv3 (source code)
CC BY-SA 4.0 (assets)
AstroMenace was around 2006 in beta development phase by Viewizard's developer Michael Kurinnoy. While a Windows version was offered for $14.95 as Shareware early access title, having a free downloadable test version, a Linux version was offered as voluntarily donationware download.
In October 2007 the game's C++ source code in version v1.2 was released as free and open-source software under the GPLv3. A fork called OpenAstroMenace was started on a Sourceforge.net repository. Some years later Viewizard moved its own development to this fork, by that unifying both branches and making the Sourceforge fork the official version. Ports for many platforms became later available, for instance for Mac OS X or the OpenPandora handheld. The game's content became in 2016 re-released under an open content CC BY-SA 4.0 Creative Commons license. Latest stable release is 1.3.2 from 2013, while development continues (as of May 2017).
The game is basically a space shooter with the addition to buy new weapons, systems and hulls in order to improve your ship. You can earn money and experience points by destroying enemy aliens or pirates on each level. The experience points represent the "score" which makes your skill comparable to other players.
In December 2007 the UK magazine Linux Format rated AstroMenace with 8/10 credits. In 2008 a Full Circle magazine review named Astromenace among a list of "Top 5 space games". Unixmen.com reviewed in 2010 the Linux version favourably, noting the graphic quality as "graphically unique. The quality of animation along with special effects is stunning [...] true eye-candy.". Unixmen.com named Astromenace in 2013 also as number one of a "19 Awesome Open Source Games for Linux" list. Linux For You September 2009 ranked AstroMenace 4/5.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AstroMenace.|
- Astromenace home page
- OpenAstroMenace project page on SourceForge.net
- AstroMenace source code on the Viewizard site
- Astromenace on viewizard.com (2006)
- Michael Kurinnoy (2007-02-20). "AstroMenace Press Release" (PDF). Viewizard. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- buy now: astromenace on viewizard.com (August 2007)
- Astromenace source code 1.2 on viewizard.com (2007-10-12)
- astromenace on repo.openpandora.org (2013)
- openastromenace - models.pack is released under CC BY-SA 4.0 license. Updated glext.h file to version 20160114. on sourceforge.net (2016)
- astromenace 1.3.2 on sourceforge.net
- Graham Morrison (December 2007). "AstroMenace". Linux Format (101).
Overall 8/10, Gameplay: 9/10, Graphics: 8/10, Longevity: 7/10, Documentation 8/10
- Andrew Min (June 1, 2008). "Top 5 space games - Astromenace" (PDF). Full Circle Issue #14 page 34.
- Astromenace- A 3D space shooter game for Linux by M. Zinoune on unixmen.com (June 13, 2010)
- 19 Awesome Open Source Games for Linux by M. Zinoune on unixmen.com (2013)
- Linux-For-You-Issue-80 in Linux For You (September 2009)
- stats on sourceforge.net (May 2014)