The main menu of AstroMenace
|Original author(s)||Mikhail "Viewizard" Kurinnoi|
|Initial release||February 20, 2007|
1.3.2 / 2013
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, macOS, Linux|
|Type||Single-player arcade game|
|License||GPLv3 (source code)|
CC BY-SA 4.0 (assets)
In 2006, Viewizard's developer Mikhail Kurinnoi began beta development of AstroMenace. The Windows version was offered for $14.95 as Shareware early access title, having a free downloadable test version. However, a Linux version was offered as donationware.
In October 2007, version v1.2 of the game's C++ source code was released as free and open-source software under the GPLv3. A fork called OpenAstroMenace was started on a Sourceforge.net repository. Some years later Viewizard moved its own development to this fork, by unifying both branches and making it the official version. Ports for other platforms were later developed, with Mac OS X and OpenPandora versions being released. The game's content became in 2016 re-released under an open content CC BY-SA 4.0 Creative Commons license. The latest stable release is 1.3.2 from 2013, while development continues on GitHub (as of June 2018). In April 2018 some artwork with sources (.3ds render files) were released as too; under the GPLv3 in an own repository.
The game features 13 levels, within which, money and experience points are earned by destroying enemy aliens, pirates, or meteorites. Using this money, the player can purchase from a selection of 22 ship types, 19 weapons, and 20 ship upgrades.
In December 2007 the UK magazine Linux Format rated AstroMenace with 8/10 credits. In 2008 a Full Circle magazine review named Astromenace among a list of "Top 5 space games". Unixmen.com reviewed in 2010 the Linux version favourably, noting the graphic quality as "graphically unique. The quality of animation along with special effects is stunning [...] true eye-candy.". Unixmen.com named Astromenace in 2013 also as number one of a "19 Awesome Open Source Games for Linux" list. Linux For You September 2009 ranked AstroMenace 4/5.
- Astromenace on viewizard.com (2006)
- Michael Kurinnoy (2007-02-20). "AstroMenace Press Release" (PDF). Viewizard. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- buy now: astromenace on viewizard.com (August 2007)
- Astromenace source code 1.2 on viewizard.com (2007-10-12)
- astromenace on repo.openpandora.org (2013)
- openastromenace - models.pack is released under CC BY-SA 4.0 license. Updated glext.h file to version 20160114. on sourceforge.net (2016)
- AstroMenace on github.com
- astromenace-artwork on github
Graham Morrison (December 2007). "AstroMenace". Linux Format (101).
Overall 8/10, Gameplay: 9/10, Graphics: 8/10, Longevity: 7/10, Documentation 8/10
- Andrew Min (June 1, 2008). "Top 5 space games - Astromenace" (PDF). Full Circle Issue #14 page 34.
- Astromenace- A 3D space shooter game for Linux by M. Zinoune on unixmen.com (June 13, 2010)
- 19 Awesome Open Source Games for Linux by M. Zinoune on unixmen.com (2013)
- Linux-For-You-Issue-80 in Linux For You (September 2009)
- stats on sourceforge.net (May 2014)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to AstroMenace.|