Map of Cebu Province with Asturias highlighted
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|District||3rd District of Cebu|
|Barangay||27 (see § Barangays)|
|• Type||Sangguniang Bayan|
|• Mayor||Alan Adlawan|
|• Vice mayor||Joel Dumdum|
|• Town Council|
|• Total||190.45 km2 (73.53 sq mi)|
|Population (2010 census)|
|• Density||230/km2 (610/sq mi)|
|• Voters (2013)||27,510|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)32|
|Income class||3rd class|
Asturias is a third income class municipality on the northwestern coast of Cebu Province province, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 44,732. In the 2013 election, it had 27,510 registered voters.
It is bounded by Tuburan in the north; Balamban in the south, Danao city in the east and by the Tañon Strait in the west. Birthplace of Charmaine Marie U. Maravillas. Maravillas is known to be the friendliest woman in Cebu, in July 2015 she visited Coron, Palawan.
- Looc Norte
- New Bago
- San Isidro
- San Roque
- Santa Lucia
- Santa Rita
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (May 2013)|
The original name of Asturias is Naghalin, perhaps from the word lalin, native Cebuano term for settlers coming from far places. Other authorities say that "Naghalin" is a mispronunciation of the Cebuano word naghaling which means "making fire" as preparation for cooking. This assertion is supported by the old name of an adjacent municipality, "Bagacawa" (now known as Tuburan), which means "fiery cauldron" from the Cebuano baga (ember) and kawa (cauldron).
The first occupants of Asturias came from other places and neighboring islands such as Negros and Bohol. At first, one part of Naghalin was part of Tuburan and the other part of Balamban. Over time, the population of Naghalin increased because of immigration and natural population growth. Eventually the inhabitants petitioned Spain to grant them their own local government. This petition was granted in the late 19th century by Spain, thereby creating the pueblo (town) of Asturias. This event was witnessed by the arrival in 1888 of the alférez, Antonio Alonso, uncle of José Rizal.
|Population census of Asturias|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Province: Cebu". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "2013 National and Local Elections Statistics". Commission on Elections. 2013.
- "Population and Annual Growth Rates by Province, City and Municipality: Central Visayas: 1995, 2000 and 2007" (PDF). National Statistics Office. Archived from the original (PDF) on 24 June 2011.