|Studio album by Lisa Hannigan|
|Released||19 August 2016|
Hudson, New York |
Hoop Recordings (Ireland) |
|Producer||Aaron Dessner, Lisa Hannigan|
|Lisa Hannigan chronology|
|Singles from At Swim|
Hannigan had been touring for more than two years with her 2011 album Passenger. The words, she says, just dried up. Lisa Hannigan decided to leave Dublin and travelled to Paris where she resided for a number of months and then travelled onwards to London in an effort to overcome a period of writer's block and hoping her new adventure would inspire her to begin songwriting again. However, Hannigan failed to write any new material before returning to Dublin. Hannigan decided to leave Dublin and move to London more permanently. Here she began writing new material and began putting down demos, but struggled with songwriting.
Her songwriting was finally encouraged by an unsolicited e-mail from Aaron Dessner of The National. Dessner requested Hannigan and himself should work on her new material, both artists met in Copenhagen over a weekend in an effort to come up with some ideas for the new album with particular focus on the album's theme and sound. They would both later meet up again at Lismore Castle and Cork City to tie down the album's identity.
Dessner soon became the producer of the album, sending her music and lyrics by email. Hannigan finally went to Hudson in upstate New York to begin recording.
The work of Irish poet Seamus Heaney inspired her songwriting, to the point that one of his poems Anahorish appears on the album. Themes of friendship, bereavement, homesickness and a new life in a vast city such as London have all inspired the album songs.
"Ora" was released on 16 August 2016 as a download. A music video for the song premiered online a day earlier. The video was directed by Jamie Hannigan and Lisa Hannigan.
The album was released as a download on iTunes, with pre-orders beginning on 9 June 2016. "Prayer for the Dying" became an instant download upon pre-ordering. It was also released on CD and vinyl.
|The Daily Telegraph|||
|Consequence of Sound||B|
In the lead up to the album's release Lisa Hannigan confirmed a summer 2016 tour of Ireland.
A European tour was confirmed for autumn 2016 with dates in Ireland, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Germany, France and the Netherlands. She also confirmed a date for US festival Eaux Claires on 12 August.
- "Prayer for the Dying"
- "We the Drowned"
- "Funeral Suit"
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Flanders)||50|
|Belgian Albums (Ultratop Wallonia)||71|
|Dutch Albums (MegaCharts)||31|
|Irish Albums (IRMA)||1|
|New Zealand Heatseekers Albums (RMNZ)||7|
|Scottish Albums (OCC)||23|
|Swiss Albums (Schweizer Hitparade)||72|
|UK Albums (OCC)||24|
|US Heatseekers Albums (Billboard)||8|
- "irish music feed - .Music News: Lisa Hannigan Reveals New Song +..." irishmusicfeed.tumblr.com. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "MusicNews | Lisa Hannigan announces new album 'At Swim' - hear lead track 'Prayer for the Dying' now - entertainment.ie". entertainment.ie. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Lisa Hannigan: 'I started to really lose sight of what the point of me was'". Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- "Lisa Hannigan: 'I had to do something different, to feel unnerved'". 2016-08-12. Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- Bialas, Michael (2016-08-02). "Stroke of Luck? How Lisa Hannigan Got Back in the Swim of Things". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- Lisa Hannigan MUSIC MONTH, retrieved 2016-08-19
- "Play It Again Sam :: News :: Lisa Hannigan Is Back With New Track 'prayer For The Dying' And A New Album Out This Year". playitagainsam.net. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Song Premiere, Lisa Hannigan, 'Prayer For The Dying' : All Songs Considered : NPR". npr.org. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Watch | Lisa Hannigan releases video for 'Fall'". The Last Mixed Tape. 2016-07-06. Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- Ayers, Mike. "Lisa Hannigan Dances Solo in Her New 'Fall' Video (Exclusive)". Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- LisaHanniganVEVO (2016-07-06), Lisa Hannigan - Fall (Official Video), retrieved 2016-08-19
- "At Swim by Lisa Hannigan on iTunes". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- Metacritic (2016). "Critic Reviews for At Swim". CBS Interactive. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Monger, James. "At Swim - Lisa Hannigan - AllMusic". Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Simpson, Dave (26 August 2016). "Lisa Hannigan: At Swim review – come on in, the water's lovely". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Neil McCormick. "Lisa Hannigan's beautiful At Swim is an album to drown in – review". Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Schaults, Janine (18 August 2016). "Lisa Hannigan – At Swim". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- Stanley, Laura (17 August 2016). "Lisa Hannigan - At Swim". Exclaim!. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "Lisa Hannigan Tickets, Tour Dates 2016 & Concerts – Songkick". songkick.com. Retrieved 12 June 2016.
- "Lisa Hannigan | TOUR". lisahannigan.ie. Retrieved 2016-08-19.
- "Ultratop.be – Lisa Hannigan – At Swim" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Ultratop.be – Lisa Hannigan – At Swim" (in French). Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Lisa Hannigan – At Swim" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "GFK Chart-Track Albums: Week 34, 2016". Chart-Track. IRMA. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "NZ Heatseekers Albums Chart". Recorded Music NZ. 29 August 2016. Retrieved 26 August 2016.
- "Official Scottish Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Swisscharts.com – Lisa Hannigan – At Swim". Hung Medien. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Official Albums Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Lisa Hannigan Chart History (Heatseekers Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved 31 August 2016.