At Sword's Point
|At Sword's Point|
|Directed by||Lewis Allen|
|Produced by||Jerrold T. Brandt|
|Written by||Aubrey Wisberg
|Music by||Roy Webb
|Edited by||Samuel E. Beetley
|Distributed by||RKO Radio Pictures|
At Sword's Point is a 1952 American historical action film directed by Lewis Allen and starring Cornel Wilde and Maureen O'Hara. It was shot in Technicolor by RKO Radio Pictures. The film was completed in 1949, but was not released until 1952.
The Three Musketeers' offsprings of Aramis, Porthos, D'Artagnan and Claire, the daughter of Athos, are reunited by the ageing Queen Anne to halt the villainy of her treacherous nephew, the Duc de Lavalle.
The sons (and a daughter) of the original Four Musketeers ride to the rescue of besieged Queen Anne in 1648 France.
D'Artagnan and his companions are alerted that the terminally ill Queen (Gladys Cooper) is being pressured by the evil Duc de Lavalle (Robert Douglas) into agreeing to a marriage with Princess Henriette (Nancy Gates). Too old (or dead) to respond, their sons (and one daughter) race to Court to help.
After much derring do - including episodes of imprisonment and betrayal, with a burgeoning love sub-plot between D'Artagnan Jr. and Claire, daughter of Athos (Maureen O'Hara) thrown in for good measure - they succeed.
- Cornel Wilde as D'Artagnan
- Maureen O'Hara as Claire
- Robert Douglas as Duc de Lavalle
- Gladys Cooper as Queen Anne
- June Clayworth as Comtesse Claudine
- Dan O'Herlihy as Aramis
- Alan Hale Jr. as Porthos
- Blanche Yurka as Madame Michom
- Nancy Gates as Princess Henriette
- Edmund Breon as Queen's Chamberlain (as Edmond Breon)
- Peter Miles as Young Louis XIV
- George Petrie as Chalais
- Moroni Olsen as Old Porthos
- Porthos in At Sword's Point is played by Moroni Olsen, who played that character in his younger days in the 1935 film of the original Dumas novel, The Three Musketeers while Alan Hale Jr. plays the son of Porthos. His father, Alan Hale, Sr., appeared in The Man in the Iron Mask (1939) as an aging Porthos.
- In another Three Musketeers movie, The Fifth Musketeer (1979), which retells the story of The Man in the Iron Mask, two of the young Musketeers from At Sword's Point reappear in the roles of their own fathers: Cornel Wilde stars as D'Artagnan and Alan Hale Jr. as Porthos.
- At Sword's Point at the Internet Movie Database
- At Sword's Point at the TCM Movie Database
- At Sword's Point at AllMovie