At the Movies (Australian TV program)
|At the Movies|
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of seasons||11|
|Running time||26 minutes per episode|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Original release||1 July 2004 –|
9 December 2014
The program, which began in mid-2004, is a continuation of the pair's earlier program The Movie Show, which aired on SBS One from 1986 to 2004. The pair left SBS after expressing dissatisfaction with high-level decisions.
The weekly half-hour program consists of film reviews and discussions as well as interviews with cast and crew members. The hosts also occasionally broadcast from film events such as the Cannes Film Festival.
The pair's 25 years of presenting film reviews on television was celebrated in a special show on 26 October 2011, filmed before an audience and special guests, hosted by Cate Blanchett and Geoffrey Rush.
On 16 September 2014, Stratton and Pomeranz announced they would be retiring at the end of the 2014 series. The final episode aired on 9 December 2014 and Stratton and Pomeranz said farewell to over 700,000 viewers, making it one of the most watched season finales on the ABC in the history of the station.
5 star films
Only seven films have achieved a "5 star" rating by both Pomeranz and Stratton.
- Good Night, and Good Luck
- Brokeback Mountain
- No Country for Old Men
- Samson and Delilah
- A Separation
- Birdman or (the Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
In the previous SBS format, several films achieved 5 stars from both Margaret and David, including films such as Goodfellas, The Thin Red Line, Schindler's List, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Aliens, Eyes Wide Shut, Russian Ark, The Thin Blue Line, Evil Angels, Return Home, The Piano, Lantana, and Three Colours: Red.
In other media
Pomeranz and Stratton both appeared in a parody of themselves and At the Movies in the fourth episode of the ABC show Lawrence Leung's Choose Your Own Adventure. They have also appeared in the ABC shows The Chaser's War on Everything, Review with Myles Barlow and Good Game. In December 2020 they appeared in a spoof YouTube video reviewing the year 2020.
- "The David and Margaret show" by Graeme Blundell, The Australian (15 October 2011)
- "Margaret Pomeranz and David Stratton roll end credits on 28-year film review partnership; At The Movies will not return to ABC in 2015". ABC News. 16 September 2014. Retrieved 16 September 2014.
- "At The Movies wraps with bumper 726,000 metro viewers" by Dan Robbins, Mumbrella (5 July 2015)
- "Five-star movies". ABC. Archived from the original on 22 December 2013. Retrieved 25 December 2013.
- "The Thin Red Line". SBS. Retrieved 27 June 2015.
- "Schindler's List: Review". SBS Movies. SBS. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "2001: A Space Odyssey". SBS. Retrieved 6 July 2015.
- "Aliens: Review". SBS. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Eyes Wide Shut Review". Retrieved 25 September 2015.
- "Russian Ark review: One-take wonder is a most amazing achievement". SBS. Retrieved 7 April 2016.
- "Evil Angels". SBS Movies. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- "Return Home". SBS Movies. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- "The Piano: Review". SBS Movies. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- "What Margaret and David say about 500 Oz Movies". ozflicks. 13 September 2016. Retrieved 17 August 2018.
- Three Colours Red: Review, retrieved 17 April 2021
- "Choose your own Margaret & David" by David Knox, TVtonight (12 April 2009)
- on YouTube